Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

...which photo program to use...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kathy

Kathy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Musician & artist. I like gardening, cooking, dancing, martial arts, weapons, video games, lots of things...

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hello, Everyone! Posted Image
I would like to know which photo program to use. I've had the Kodak EasyShare which really slowed down my system, PictureIt!, and right now I'm just using the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard to download the pictures but not really doing anything with them.
Posted Image Kathy
Posted Image Kathy

Our lifetime is only a blink and then we can go home. Meanwhile I'll love with all I that I am.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

If your only viewing and copying pictures I would just use Thumbnail View in Windows Explorer. There are some minor advantages to programs like that but I wouldn't say there enough to consider using. Is there a specific reason you use them?

Edited by Vectris, 17 May 2009 - 07:18 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 Kathy

Kathy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Musician & artist. I like gardening, cooking, dancing, martial arts, weapons, video games, lots of things...

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hello, Vectris! Posted Image
I like to edit my photos, enhance them, perhaps use special effects. Someone just suggested Picasa 3 from Google; I was checking out the introduction and tutorial. I don't want a program that slows down my system like Kodak EasyShare does.
Posted Image Kathy
Posted Image Kathy

Our lifetime is only a blink and then we can go home. Meanwhile I'll love with all I that I am.

#4 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hello Kathy,

Photobucket is good and has some free editing options:

http://photobucket.com/

If you want a more "photoshop" like experience try GIMP which is free:

http://www.gimp.org/

Edited by jephree, 17 May 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#5 Kathy

Kathy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

Thank you, jephree! Posted Image
I am familiar with Photobucket but was not really aware of their editing features. I believe you have to pay for privacy there, correct? Otherwise uploaded photos are not protected. I will check out GIMP. Does it slow your system?
Posted Image Kathy
Posted Image Kathy

#6 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

Photobucket added an editor about a year ago if I recall correctly. I have just the free version and I have the option for my albums to be public or private. I basically use it for posting images at help sites such as WTT.

GIMP is an Open Source (Linux) based photoshop program. It is as powerful as Photoshop Elements which is $120 software and very similar to it.

GIMP is free but it does require basic photoshop skills. There are many tutorials out there. Just takes some practice.

http://www.google.co...g...mp;aq=f&oq=

As to system performance I have never noticed any alteration as to either of these programs.

#7 Kathy

Kathy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

^_^ Wow, that's a quite a list of tutorials! Thank you for the link, jephree! I'll read them over. GIMP sounds like a good program.
I'll have to check out Photobucket's options, again. Last time I checked, (long ago), I had to pay for privacy.
Posted Image Kathy
Posted Image Kathy

#8 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

Just to add: Although GIMP is a powerful editor it is not an online storage option. In order to share your pictures you would still need some online storage site like Photobucket etc.

#9 Johnstone

Johnstone

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Photoshop is the only way to go. There are also "lite" versions called Photoshop Essentials which are adequate for more casual photographers. GIMP is fully functional and free but not as well laid out IMO. PhotoShop is the industry standard and all other programs try to mimic it in most ways.

#10 waveydavey

waveydavey

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:html, css, java script, anyting in relation to computers, engineering.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Picasa (from Google) is a free,simple, easy, to learn basic editing program. it is definitely an upgrade when compared to Kodak's easy share.

You can download it here

However, if your looking for an advanced photo editing software, Adobe's: Firework, Illustrator, Photoshop is definitely the way to go.
Adobe Photoshop Products
however a bundle with these programs can cost hundreds of dollars; I don't reccomend using these software unless your a web designer, or require sufficient photo results.
there is a slight learning curve in case your not familiar with these programs.

There are thousands of free photo editing programs out there, but heres my three favorites I suggest you take a look at:
1. Gimp
2. Picnik
3. Pixia

If your wanting a review on popular photo editing programs, here's the top site to read:
Guidetoartschool.com

I hope you found this post useful. If you, or anyone viewing this post needs help with Photoshop let me know.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by waveydavey, 16 January 2010 - 05:18 PM.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/Waveydavey\/\/\/\/\/\
EXPERTISE:) Web Design, Html, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, XML.