This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] HJT Log Attached - McAfee No Longer Working

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I cannot get to any McAfee web sites. When I try to update my virus definitions, I get a message 'Please wait searching for a machine with an Internet Connection'. I tried to run the update in Safe Mode and received the following message when trying to update: 'Unable to Create cab Installer Object'.

Here is the HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:51:06 PM, on 5/15/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16827)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6173\SiteAdv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2H1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtTry.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon\Monitor\NkMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
C:\Program Files\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderService.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\EngineServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6173\SAService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\McShield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10MT1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost;*.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6173\SiteAdv.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Helper Object - {AFD4AD01-58C1-47DB-A404-FBE00A6C5486} - C:\Program Files\Common\helper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_219B3E1547538286.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6173\SiteAdv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MVS Splash] C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\Splash.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Managed Services Tray] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\StartMyagtTry.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVDDXSrv] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6173\SiteAdv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2H1.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus Photo R200"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo 2200] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus Photo 2200" /O6 "USB002" /M "Stylus Photo 2200"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AmazonGSDownloaderTray] C:\Program Files\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - Startup: Epson printer Registration.lnk = D:\E_reg\EpsonReg.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Nikon Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon\Monitor\NkMonitor.exe
O4 - Global Startup: TabUserW.exe.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.mcafeeasap.com
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1218519555078
O16 - DPF: {6F750203-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Kodak Gallery Easy Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/…_2/axofupld.cab
O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {ab20a60c-58f9-48ab-9ac3-859e1337c0da} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dsound3dd.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Amazon Download Agent - Amazon.com - C:\Program Files\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderService.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: EngineServer - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\EngineServer.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.7.801.7324 (GoogleDesktopManager-010708-104812) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service (IntuitUpdateService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McShield - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\McShield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection Service (myAgtSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6173\SAService.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe

–
End of file - 11496 bytes

I tried to send Analyze This, but I think my firewall blocked it.
Strange behavior on my PC now. I just had to reboot because my PC was locked. I have never locked my PC. I just saw the things I should have done before I posted the HJT log. I am nervous about installing Windows Service Pack Three because it wants backups and since I do not know the status of the system, I'm not sure I should do this. Should I go back and run the other scanners and then run HJT again?
Hi,

Don't do anything at the moment until we get this computer clean. Stay with me until I give you the all clear, then you can do the necessary updates.

Please do the following:

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

VERY IMPORTANT !!!
Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

[external image: Posted Image]

  • Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[external image: Posted Image]

  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.


Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now
I have disabled Firewall, and Site Advisor but I don't seem to be able to disable McAfee in total. I don't see this software on your recommendations to shutdown. I am running McAfee Total Protection which I purchased with my Dell PC. It is version 4.7.0.752 patch 4. I will continue to look for a way to shut it down, then I will run ComboFix.exe which I have downloaded successfully.
Hi,

to disable McAfee - do this


Double-click the McAfee taskbar icon to enable Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (lower left)
Click Configure (left)
Click the items at top left to open their modules on the right, where you can disable them
The Security Center itself cannot be disabled, only its components.
Doesn't work. When I double click the icon it attempts to connect to McAfee website and then fails - which is my original problem.
Hi, Can you uninstall the program for now then reinstall it once we have cleaned up the computer - obviously the malware is interfering and we don't want it to interfere with our fix…just make sure you stay off the net unless downloading a tool I request.
I am going to see if I have the install CD's. I purchased this with the Dell, so I have to find my original paperwork and see if the install CD's are there.
I uninstalled McAffee - I did NOT reboot after. I double clicked on combofix, it appeared to start, but nothing. Does not show up in task manager, no log created. NOTE: I did not get any windows after doubleclicking on combofix.
OK,

The malware is interfering in the running of it.

Delete the copy from your desktop and download a fresh copy renaming it first:


Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.
**Note:  In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**
  • If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Tools->Options->Main tab
    • Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".
  • During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

    [external image: Posted Image]

    [external image: Posted Image]
  • It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.
  • Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

    ———————————————————–

    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

      ———————————————————–

    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

    ———————————————————–

  • Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.  
  • Please post the "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.
**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**
I went to IE to download because Firefox only wanted to download it as a binary file. I renamed the file to Combo-Fix as an application and saved to my desktop. I doubleclicked, it appeared to try and start then nothing. I checked on the properties and there is a comment that says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" then there is a box to 'unblock'. I have removed McAfee totally from my system through the programs uninstall so I'm not sure what might be blocking it unless it is something in Windows.
Hi,

do this


Go to [external image: Posted Image] > Run > copy/paste the following single line command in the runbox & click OK
"%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /killall

[external image: Posted Image]
  • DO NOT USE your computer for any other purpose while ComboFix is running.
  • ComboFix may restart your computer, this is normal.
  • When finished, it will produce a log, ComboFix.txt.
  • Pleasepost ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Can you give me an idea how long this should run and what I should see while it is running? The reason I ask is that my PC had the screensaver turned on and I'm not sure if it interfered with the running of the program. I'm writing from an ancient laptop so as not to disturb the PC. The only thing that indicated something might be running was a blue 'dos' window (the run window). No messages or indications other than that - no reboot either. It's been about half an hour. Thank you so much!!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI