This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] My computer is sick and it has not been to Mexico

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm having problems with my Dell D810. Here's my info:

Symptoms:
- Started with pop-ups advertising anti-virus software that said my computer had been "infected". The pop-ups stopped, but other problems persist.
- When Microsoft Outlook starts there are several "Bad Image" pop-up windows. Each window lists a different file name in the header (e.g., ctfmon.exe, WMPNSCFG.exe, etc.), but they all seem to refer to c:\windows\system32\rgkaocu.dll.
- Internet Explorer runs very slowly. When clicking on a hyperlink in either outlook or internet explorer, the browser is redirected

Actions Taken So Far:
- Updated Internet Explorer to version 8
- Updated AdAware and ran a system scan
- Tried to update Spybot Search and Destroy, but update was unsuccessful.
- Uninstalled some programs to free-up room on the hard-drive which was nearly full.


I've posted my Hijack this log below.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:23:27 AM, on 5/11/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SCardSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\basfipm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Sprint\Pantech\Sprint PCS Connection Manager\PWIUtilityService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNetwk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\windows\ld08.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DL32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SYS32DLL.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:7171
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local;
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe,
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O1 - Hosts: 91.212.65.122 browser-security.microsoft.com
O1 - Hosts: 91.212.65.122 antiwareprotect.com
O1 - Hosts: 91.212.65.122 www.antiwareprotect.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {037B0307-2EDA-4F81-A7F9-431118CC8268} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ndhiuuqc.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {50023A43-93B6-46E8-AFA1-E44CF4C5E75D} - c:\windows\system32\vqwxjhw.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: 199638 helper - {65768B48-B004-4B26-9BAC-A3BAC39643D1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\199638\199638.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\3.1.807.1746\swg.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: 179223 helper - {B3FA56CF-B3F9-4328-9802-CFAACEA86646} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: 796525 helper - {E7F15AC4-E0A9-43F0-921B-70DFEA621220} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Cooliris Plug-In for Internet Explorer - {EAEE5C74-6D0D-4aca-9232-0DA4A7B866BA} - C:\Program Files\PicLensIE\cooliris.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sysldtray] C:\windows\ld08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sysfbtray] C:\windows\freddy42.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [dll32] dll32
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DL32] DL32
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SYS32DLL] SYS32DLL
O4 - Startup: Trillian.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite… - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Launch Cooliris - {3437D640-C91A-458f-89F5-B9095EA4C28B} - C:\Program Files\PicLensIE\cooliris.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0E8D0700-75DF-11D3-8B4A-0008C7450C4A} (DjVuCtl Class) - http://tky09.celartem.com/en/download/data…ntrol_en_US.cab
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1005.cab
O16 - DPF: {C4925E65-7A1E-11D2-8BB4-00A0C9CC72C3} (Virtools WebPlayer Class) - http://a532.g.akamai.net/f/532/6712/5m/vir…5/installer.exe
O16 - DPF: {F281A59C-7B65-11D3-8617-0010830243BD} (AcPreview Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/AutoCAD%20LT%202002/AcPreview.ocx
O20 - Winlogon Notify: xuvmrhbx - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vqwxjhw.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: IE Component Categories cache daemon - {553858A7-4922-4e7e-B1C1-97140C1C16EF} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ieframe.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Broadcom ASF IP monitoring service v6.0.4 (BAsfIpM) - Broadcom Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\basfipm.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Pantech Utility Service - Sprint Spectrum, L.L.C - C:\Program Files\Sprint\Pantech\Sprint PCS Connection Manager\PWIUtilityService.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

–
End of file - 9144 bytes
Hello heyheyitsryan and welcome back to the forums here at WTT!

Replying to My computer is sick and it has not been to Mexico

:lol: Maybe not….but it looks like there may have been some nasty codecs downloaded to it lately. I was just testing a sample on my test machine that looks just like this infection. Was from a codec.

I do have to provide a warning here before advising any cleaning instructions.

It looks like you have been infected by a few Backdoor Trojans.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and Download and Execute files

Its very possible that anything could have been installed on your computer by the remote attacker, including opening other backdoors and installing rootkits. While we can attempt to clean what we see in your logs, we cannot guarantee that your computer will be completely in the clear since we have no way of knowing that has been done to the computer. Your computer could be completely compromised at this moment. It may be prudent to backup your information, reformat, and reinstall.

More information on Remote Access Trojans can be found here.

I suggest you do the following immediately:
  • Call all of your banks, credit card companies, financial institutions and inform them that you may be a victim of identity theft and to put a watch on your accounts or change all your account numbers.
  • From a clean computer, change *all* your online passwords – for email, for banks, financial accounts, PayPal, eBay, online companies, any online forums or groups you belong to.
  • DO NOT change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer because the attacker will get the new passwords and transaction information.

If, however, you decide that the computer is not used for any sensitive work, or if you do not wish to reformat at this time, I can help you clean your computer to the best of my abilities. I must remind you that i cannot guarantee that your computer will be completely clean afterwards since we have no way of knowing what has been done to it.

To help you make your decision, here are a few related articles that i suggest you read:

  • Danger: Remote Access Trojans.
  • When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?
  • How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and Credit Card Fraud?

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please let me know what you decide to do in your next post.
I was actually planning to reformat the hard drive anyway, but first I need to transfer my files to a new machine. Is there anyway to ensure that the files I transfer will be clean? I'm particulaly concerned about my outlook pst file. Also, at work we have a LAN setup with a central computer that works as a file server. Since having this problem I have transferred files to and from that server. Should I be concerned about the infection spreading to the server and the computers connected to it? If so, what can I do to make sure they're ok? Thanks for you help, -Ryan

I was actually planning to reformat the hard drive anyway, but first I need to transfer my files to a new machine. Is there anyway to ensure that the files I transfer will be clean? I'm particulaly concerned about my outlook pst file.

Just make sure you only back up any data (pictures, music, docs, ect…) that you know and trust. A good second check would be to do a full virus scan on it before you restore it. I know the Kaspersky online scanner will detect infected emails within outlook. It will not clean them, you would have to do that manually. But you could also use most any antivirus to scan that also.


Also, at work we have a LAN setup with a central computer that works as a file server. Since having this problem I have transferred files to and from that server. Should I be concerned about the infection spreading to the server and the computers connected to it? If so, what can I do to make sure they're ok?

Hard for me to know exactly. Again, good virus scans with updated tools are definitely in order. I know with the sample I just was testing I had to actually download and execute the setup file for the Malware to set it. But every situation is different. This particular infection does not hide very well and really messes up your system, so I think you'll know if and when you have issues any where else on the network.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI