This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Pop-ups And Ie Problems

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Found your forum through the Dell site forums. You guys are great and I greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions with my problem, since I am certainly not a whiz in this area.
Symptoms: 1. Continual pop-ups, 2. Instant "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or "Action Cancelled" error when clicking on any link or search on a website (intermittent problem), and 3. Error Message when I click on a mailto: link on a site or in an e-mail, followed by 64 IE pages opening all showing "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error (constant problem)
What I Have Tried: Spybot S & D, AdAware, Panda ActiveScan, all with latest updates, as well as my regular Norton AntiVirus subscription. Spybot always has problems that I fix, AdAware removed 450 items, then 24 more 15 minutes later, and Active Scan shows 1 item as uncleanable, Downloader.GK Trojan.
I have installed and run HiJack This as I learned from other posts and the log follows. Thank you again for your time.
-bookman

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:02:58 AM, on 8/24/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\upqum.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.dell.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {48AF6E51-E130-02E1-8204-175578D4284A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsfj.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Tayzlilb] C:\WINDOWS\System32\upqum.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.ebay.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.half.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.paypal.com
O16 - DPF: {4620BC29-8B8E-4F4E-9D92-1DB6633D6793} (SurferNETWORK Plugin) - http://rd1.surfernetwork.com/surferplugin.ocx
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EP…ol_v1-0-3-9.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {76D90D08-EAB7-46D8-BF99-87445BF59E72} (SystemInfo Class) - http://iwantdway.com/dwayready/dpcsysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O21 - SSODL: System - {93211DD5-F406-4925-8FDA-50810D573332} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\system32.dll (file missing)
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {48AF6E51-E130-02E1-8204-175578D4284A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsfj.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Tayzlilb] C:\WINDOWS\System32\upqum.exe

O21 - SSODL: System - {93211DD5-F406-4925-8FDA-50810D573332} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\system32.dll (file missing)


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

c:\windows\system32\upqum.exe <— file

c:\windows\system32\vsfj.dll <— file

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)
I did as suggested but did not find c:\windows\system32\vsfj.dll file, either hidden or unhidden. I deleted the others. Here is fresh HJT log. Thanks again, Micah.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:22:25 PM, on 8/24/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.dell.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.ebay.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.half.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.paypal.com
O16 - DPF: {4620BC29-8B8E-4F4E-9D92-1DB6633D6793} (SurferNETWORK Plugin) - http://rd1.surfernetwork.com/surferplugin.ocx
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EP…ol_v1-0-3-9.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {76D90D08-EAB7-46D8-BF99-87445BF59E72} (SystemInfo Class) - http://iwantdway.com/dwayready/dpcsysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
It looks like you've got your infection cured!!!! :thumbup:

The log looks good.

I only have one question…

Do you trust this site:

O15 - Trusted Zone: www.half.com

I recognize the other two in the "trusted zone", but I'm not familiar with that one.

If you trust them then I'd say you're "good to go"!!!

GOD bless!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
(I personally do NOT recommend upgrading to SP2 for XP until they get the bugs out)

Micah- I just ran Active Scan again to check and it shows the Downloader.GK trojan still present and uncleanable. I haven't surfed yet to see if any of the pop-ups are still showing up, but I still have the same problems with Internet Explorer - error messages and 64 pages opening when I click a mailto: link. Could this be related or do you have any suggestions on this? Thanks- half.com is a subsidiary of eBay that sells books- it's OK.
Also could you do this:

At the top of your IE screen click:

Tools > Internet Options > Programs

And see what program is listed in the "E-mail" box. :unsure:
The incident is Virus:Trj/Downloader.GK. The location is C:\Documents and Settings\Charles Price\Local Settings\Temp\polmx3.cab[polmx3.exe] The e-mail line is blank under Tools > Internet Options > Programs. The only option on the drop down menu is Outlook. I use Outlook Express. How do I make Outlook Express the e-mail program? Thanks once again.
Found and successfully deleted the infected file. Virus scan is now clean. :D When I followed the link and instructions for making Outlook Express the default mail handler, I received an error message after typing the path in Run: C:\PROGRAMFILES\OUTLOOKEXPRESS refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location. Any thoughts? Thanks-
Use windows explorer to find this file:

MSIMN.EXE

Then, use that "full path name" in the command.

Maybe, the command needs to be:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE
—————-^——————^

Put a " " (space) in where the "^" is.

"Copy/paste" this into the "run" box:

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE /reg

When I put the spaces in, or copy and paste what you gave me, I get a different message: Windows cannot find 'C:\Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. When looking for the MSIMN.EXE file, I found it in 5 locations, C:\Program Files\Outlook Express, C:\I386, C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch (twice), and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE. I can open the program from Program Files, System 32 or DLLCACHE. Same results as before if I enter the Program Files path at Start:Run. I am taking much of your time and I appreciate your help. I have used Outlook Express on this computer since I switched ISP about 6 months ago with no problems until the Downloader Trojan appeared. I assume this is a related result of the infection. Thanks- Bookman
I copied and pasted and it worked just fine. Rebooted and Outlook Express now shows as the mail program. But… I was still experiencing the same problem with mail to: links, error message, when I click OK to get out of the message 56 - 64 IE pages open all showing error message "Page cannot be displayed" or "Action Cancelled". Feeling kind of brave, I opened Outlook Express, went to Tools: Options and clicked "Make this application the default mail handler", rebooted, and everything is back to normal and working just like it should! :D You guys are awesome! I am deeply appreciative of your time, patience, and knowledge. If given the opportunity I will pass your generosity along to someone else and eventually it will return to you. Thanks- -bookman

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI