knryan82
Topic Starter
Hi, i initially put this in the HijackThis sub forum but admittedly i don't believe that a virus or malware are the cause of my problem as i've run a couple of programs which find nothing. I've been having problems CPU usage in XP now for some time. I've looked to everything to find a solution but find nothing so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
For as long as i remember every time a program loads my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays there until fully loaded, slowing down and sometimes completely halting other programs being run at the same time. Other than when loading my usage is generally in the low single figures so this is quite a huge leap. This happens with pretty much any program loading & i also opened with task manager open to see of it was a program in particular causing this but it was always the program being opened causing the huge usage spike. My initial thought was that as my pc was pretty old that it could have been that i just needed a bit of an upgrade. I replaced the processor and upgraded RAM (i had the comp built quite a few years back, was 1.66MHz 1/2GB, now 2.4GHz/1.5GB) & still had the problem which i'm thinking with my current spec this shouldn't be happening right?
I ran virus/malware checkers which found nothing. I've defragged and when i do i get this message:
I'm honestly just baffled by what is causing this.
Any ideas??
Thanks in advance
For as long as i remember every time a program loads my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays there until fully loaded, slowing down and sometimes completely halting other programs being run at the same time. Other than when loading my usage is generally in the low single figures so this is quite a huge leap. This happens with pretty much any program loading & i also opened with task manager open to see of it was a program in particular causing this but it was always the program being opened causing the huge usage spike. My initial thought was that as my pc was pretty old that it could have been that i just needed a bit of an upgrade. I replaced the processor and upgraded RAM (i had the comp built quite a few years back, was 1.66MHz 1/2GB, now 2.4GHz/1.5GB) & still had the problem which i'm thinking with my current spec this shouldn't be happening right?
I ran virus/malware checkers which found nothing. I've defragged and when i do i get this message:
Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)
Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
I'm honestly just baffled by what is causing this.
Any ideas??
Thanks in advance