Hi, I have been having problems with my screen being covered in these blue/white stripes that step across it —___—-___— I have tried my laptop through my TV but the same thing happens which I assume means the problem isn't monitor related. I first noticed the problem when I ran certain games but it has become more frequent and is now intermittent when just looking at my desktop. The mouse also colours in blue on some parts of the screen as if I were using the wide brush in "paint".
Prior to this I have been having problems when running applications like google earth and a radio controlled flight sim realflight G4. The graphics have large triangular blocks which dance around the screen and ultimately crash the computer resulting in an error message that there was a problem with my ATI graphics card.
I have tried updating my driver but these applications still don't work.
I know my RAM needs upgrading as I have cacheman running and as I type this there is only 64 MB of free RAM available!
My laptop is a Elonex soliton prowire with 512 MB RAM
Graphics are ATI mobility Radeon X600 with 128MB dedicated RAM
Windows XP home
I am not very clued up on computers or using forums but am eager to learn!
I hope I have given enough information to enable you to help, please ask if you require anything further
Hi Jephree,
Thanks for the reply,
Before I start, I haven't had my hijackthis log checked yet and am aware that we aren't supposed to do anything until such a time but I will fill you in all I can…
Elonex don't have my model listed as they went into liquidation soon after I bought it (dec 06) and they changed owners but kept their name (I think thats how it went!)
Unfortunately for me, they also sent out "nice" letters to all minor customers such as myself telling us that they would not be honouring any warranties that were already in place before the takeover- including driver update support-, which meant the great deal I got with 3 years return to base was worthless!!!
I searched for the necessary drivers and ended up subscribing to driver detective which is where the updated driver came from. (was that a wise move?)
Yes, I "think" I uninstalled the old driver before installing the new one but this made no difference so I rolled back to the old one. I'm not convincing myself very well on this one so I might just have to give it another try
I hope this -sort of-. helps
Thanks
Wayne
Yes you should pursue your Malware issues before trying anything else. Once all clear and if the issue persists please return to this thread and we can try to help further.
Hi, I have now had the all clean off the anti-malware team and have added the link to that topic in post #1.
I did download the ATI driver off their website.
Please could you confirm the correct way to uninstall/reinstall this driver for me to make sure I am doing it right
Also, when I have uninstalled this driver, could you tell me what controls the graphics as the lines are still on even then.
I also have a stitching effect going vertically through the XP logo on start-up.
Thanks
Wayne
Windows will use a basic VGA driver in lue of any installed driver. This is a screen resolution of 800x600.
This is the same driver loaded for Safe Mode. That would be another test to see if your issue persists in Safe Mode.
If it does it draws suspicion to the hardware rather than the software.
To access Safe Mode keep tap tap tapping the F8 key after your BIOS Post or logo screen but before windows tries to start.
From the option list choose "Safe Mode".
The routine for graphics driver installs is to first go to Add or Remove Programs and remove the ATI software found there.
If given the option choose "Graphics Driver Only". This should reboot windows and then you can install the new driver.
Another idea is to try an external monitor and see if the problem persists.
…
Hi Jephree,
Yes, The problem is still there when in safe mode, I already knew that but only thought to include it after we'd agreed to go through malware first.
I have tried running my laptop through the TV to test whether it was monitor related but that was just the same.
When the computer is in VGA mode does it still use the ATI board or does the motherboard have its own graphics capability built in?
Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Sorry I overlooked your original mention of using the TV.
Unfortunately we have apparently eliminated the display as an issue as the problem persists on multiple screens.
Also it appears we have eliminated the driver issue as the problem persists in Safe Mode.
The ATI mobility chip on that laptop is on the motherboard. There is no "card" per se.
So the suspect at the moment is the motherboard.
Have you tried using the AC adapter and if so does the issue persist?
Also when you start the laptop do you get any indication on how to enter Setup? (BIOS)
Just recently looked into that one, think it was F2!
Always use with AC plugged in, the graphics used to crash when on battery long before it started when on AC.
Further steps to consider if the BIOS options do not resolve:
1) Remove the Ac adapter
2) Remove the battery
3) Hold the power button ON for like a good 20 seconds which will drain any residual power from the motherboard
4) Connect the AC adapter only and try again to start up
If that does not resolve try removing then reinserting your RAM.
There is no mention of Display in the BIOS but I have a couple of options re defaults-
Default settings- set current setup to default settings.
And
Restore settings- restore current setup to original settings.
Which should I go for?
Also, I have just got myself another problem… I decided to put a password on my administrators account but when I tried to log on with it, it isn't recognising the password!!!
Is there a way to get around this that you know?
I would try "Default" first then "Restore" if "Default" does not help.
Also see my last post regarding other options.
The Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts unless the computer is in Safe mode. To change the password for the Administrator account:
Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and then click Restart.
After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press F8, and then click Safe mode.
1) Log on as an Administrator, or with another account that has Administrator permissions.
2) Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
3) Click the Administrator icon.
4) Click Create a Password or Change my password.
5) Type a password for the account, and then retype the password to confirm it.
6) Type a hint to help you remember the password in the event that you forget it.