Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

ErikJ - After Skinboxer43.dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ErikJ

ErikJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

I'm having almost the identical symptoms, so I'm pretty sure greyharjv can rule out a hardware problem. My own story:

A website decided to give me a Spyware infection called "Skinboxer43.dll". McAfee was active and mentioned that an unwanted change was being made to my PC and even asked if I wanted to continue, but didn't give me an answer to say "No" before it just let it happen. (But hey -- thanks for the warning, I'm sure.)

Ran MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and it quarantined 5 Trojans related to Skinboxer43.dll and suggested I reboot to complete the removal.

Upon reboot, I learned that Windows Automatic Update had been turned off and McAfee Firewall was no longer active, among other things. During reboot, my desktop icons all appeared, followed by a brief 5-second "blue screen of nothing", and then the desktop icons all re-appeared. But many of the things that should normally be in my tray at start up (the "M" for McAfee and the little "tick" for Super Anti Spyware, and a few others) were not there. In addition, the start-up logo that I can normally see briefly appear for McAfee and Super Anti Spyware is no longer visible during the reboot process.

By now, I've already run another full MBAM scan, a full McAfee scan, and a full Super Anti Spyware scan, and they are all clean.

The same brief "blue screen" interruption occurs after every successive reboot. System logs during these reboots indicate "The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted." It looks like a lot of programs that should be starting up during my reboots aren't doing so.

At this point, if I manually start MBAM and try to do an Update to get the latest definitions, I can't connect to the website at their malwaresbytes.org location. Likewise, if I try to go directly to McAfee.com, Firefox immediately says "The Specified Method Is Not Supported". Going to McAfee.com via IE says "The Page Cannot Be Displayed, error 501/505". I tried your suggestion of going to Hidemyass.com, and from there I CAN get to the front page of McAfee.com. However, if I then try to get to the screens where I can download a fresh copy of McAfee, I eventually run into a menu where McAfee wants me to log in with the e-mail and password associated with my subscription. At that point, I can't get Hidemyass.com to pass my sign-on information along to McAfee.com and get me signed in. I'm assuming that McAfee.com probably prevents me from doing a secured sign-on when I'm going through an intermediary.

I'll definitely give this Skinboxer43.dll credit for doing a fine job of disabling all the tools that would normally be used to get rid of it. And even though I THINK Skinboxer is gone now, it apparently left behind some damage that is difficult to clean up.

In the wee hours of the night, at least partly in frustration but also based upon the logs saying "The shell stopped unexpectedly", I made what was no doubt a very bad decision to use this opportunity to finally upgrade from XP SP 2 to XP SP 3. In my haze I thought that maybe if one of the .exe or .dll files associated with XP SP 2 had been compromised, then maybe that .exe or .dll would just be replaced during the upgrade to SP 3 and that doing the upgrade might actually clean up whatever was still broken.

Probably not the best choice.

Right now, the upgrade to SP 3 has been hung on my PC for 12 hours and is at a point where it is making no more apparent progress. The progress bar for the install is about 75% complete. In these 12 hours, Windows Upgrade has told me twice that "An error occurred while updating. Please re-install these programs: McAfee Security Center".

The original McAfee disks that came with my PC are probably at least 4 years old, and I'm not sure if I should attempt to do anything with those. I also can't figure out how to get a fresh copy of McAfee downloaded from their website, since I can't seem to get signed into the McAfee site. I appear to still have Internet access, but with a semi-completed XP SP 3 upgrade and a McAfee suite that may or may not be working, I probably shouldn't stay here very long.

In any case, I'm pretty sure this isn't a hardware problem, since it started right after a Spyware attack. Grayharjv, did you ever get yourself out of this?

Edit: I split your post off to give you your own topic.
It's just fine to read other Thread Topics in order to learn, but placing your own problem topic into someone else 's topic can get confusing. Hoping for helpful instructions for your problem could get incorrectly mixed up with instructions specific for the other's problem.

Doug

Edited by Doug, 03 May 2009 - 01:30 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ErikJ

ErikJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Thank you, Doug! I'm new to this forum and didn't realize the correct protocol here. I found that other topic by Googling the symptoms I was having. It appears that a lot of great advice is given here so perhaps I will be fortunate in that regard, as well. Thanks for moving this into the right place.

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hi ErikJ and welcome to WhatTheTech.

As you've learned, NEVER install updates or service packs until the computer is functioning normally. Installing service packs and updates is not a solution for any problem unless it addresses a specific known issue.

Sorry it has been so long for anyone to get with you on this. I saw that there was a reply to the post and ignored it. I usually look for "0" replies to assist people on.

If McAfee is acting up then it could be causing your internet connectivity issues. McAfee has a firewall in it that freaks out sometimes and blocks all kinds of things. Its very problematic.

However, it sounds more likely that you have whats called a "rootkit" on your computer. It is actively blocking connections to the internet, or some other system change occured such as DNS settings as a result of malware.

Unfortunately, (and I'm surprised Doug didn't suggest this) I am not equipped to assist you with the malware removal process here on WhatTheTech. Although, I strongly feel that this is related to a malware infection that is active on your computer right now.

First, you will have to Read Here and then post a new topic HERE. They will assist you in removing malware and verifying that the system is clean.

If your problems persists, you can then come back to this thread for further assistance. I am now monitoring this thread and will be able to assist you further.

At this point you will not be able to receive any more assistance in this thread and with your problem until you are given the "all clear" in the malware removal forum.

Good luck.

Edited by appleoddity, 16 May 2009 - 10:01 AM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.