This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Very Annoying Gaming Mode

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thank you Doug about the driver updates, I will soon get back to you on this when I go on to the Dell website.

Now, I downloaded and installed Speed Fan, it's a very nice piece of software.

When my system was idle the Core was at 70C. When I started playing Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 64 it rose a good bit. It went up to 94C. Weird thing was, the game was playing normal up until it reached 94C, but once it reached 94C the game started to slow down, but so did the heat, it went down to 90C in the space of five seconds with the CPU useage at the highest at 54.8%.

Screenshot


Just for a comparison, and you probably know this, Water Boils at 100C, so 94C means your 6 degrees away from your computer being able to turn water into steam, that is very hot. Some metals melt at less than that too.
Never thought about it like that Vectris. That sounds pretty bad! Weird thing was, I ran the Diagnostics and the fan ran for about five seconds (using F12 at start-up). I'm not sure how ling it is suppost to run for but it definitely ran, funnily enough, it's the first time I have heard the fan running on my laptop since I got a new fan installed by a technician sent out by Dell. Now, since the fan ran, is there something causing the fan not to run? Is there a command to test the fan? Or is there a way to turn the fan off? I used a different piece of Software called "I8kfanGUI". I tried to use it's settings so that when my laptop got to temperatures over 60C that it would turn the fan on, but it didn't work.

Weird thing was, I ran the Diagnostics and the fan ran for about five seconds (using F12 at start-up). I'm not sure how ling it is suppost to run for but it definitely ran, funnily enough, it's the first time I have heard the fan running on my laptop since I got a new fan installed by a technician sent out by Dell.


So you've installed a new one? Have you noticed it running at all while your playing your games?

Now, since the fan ran, is there something causing the fan not to run? Is there a command to test the fan? Or is there a way to turn the fan off? I used a different piece of Software called "I8kfanGUI". I tried to use it's settings so that when my laptop got to temperatures over 60C that it would turn the fan on, but it didn't work.


If your new fan still doesn't work, than I'd say it's either 1) A setting on the computer that is not set to the right temperatures or 2) Your thermometer is broken, has a bad connection, or is not being read correctly by the computer.

I'm not sure where to fix 1, and if I don't know how to check if its 2, but by throwing those out there maybe someone else can give you some actual solutions.
No no, I didn't install a new one, but the fan definitely ran during diagnostics. (1.) Would anyone know how to fix the computer to run at the right temperatures? (2.) Same as 1. Haha. What exactly do you mean by "throwing those out"? Thanks for the help once again.
Download and install Everest 2.20 (free)
I want to "confirm" the temperature readings you are receiving from SpeedFan
(they are just so terribly high that I worry and want to confirm with another utility - Everest)

Will you please download and run Everest 2.20 (free)
It will give you a read-out of Temperatures and voltages which could be useful information to us in diagnosing the present situation.

Download Everest 2.20 here for free: http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

After download, Select to Run Everest 2.20
Then in the Everest 2.20 panel, Navigate to - Computer - Sensors
Create a Quick Report in Plain Text

Include the Quick Report - Sensors in your next reply. :thumbup:
Ok Doug, I done what you asked. I used to have Everest on my Desktop, it's a very nice piece of software. Ok, the report is attached in a plain text file just like you asked. My Laptop is currently pretty hot. It looks as though SpeedFan and the other program I used were wrong.

Attachments:

CPU…………………………………24 °C (75 °F) Seagate ST9160821AS………….40 °C (104 °F) OK. those Temperatures are fine. What is SpeedFan telling you at the same time you are looking at Everest?
Give us another quick report reading from Everest
Computer - Sensor

You should be able to "feel" with your hand .. the warm air exhausting from the vents.
You should be able to hear the fan turn on and off or change speeds periodically
If not, then the fan may need to be replaced again <– Call your Dell representative, even though you say there is a one month discrepancy with the warranty. If they had to replace the fan once, they may extend your service period.


Be sure that the fan and vents are clear of lint and are exhausting vigorously.

Before you begin opening the case…. Remove your battery
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…e.htm#wp1180036

Consider inspecting the cooling device:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…l.htm#wp1179839

Laptops should not be used "on your lap" as in resting on fabric of clothing, furniture or bed.
Instead, Laptops should be placed on hard flat surface with good ventilation all around.

This Dell should be able to cool itself.
but there are also "external cooling pads" available to add additional cooling.

Take the battery out and run on A/C only whenever possible.
Battery charging creates heat in addition to ordinary heat generated by the laptop components.

to the best of my knowledge, there is no "software solution" to force a Dell laptop fan to operate more constantly.
If someone knows different, I'd love to hear about it.

Bottom-line… I'd be talking to Dell again about the fan and cooling.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI