This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Explorer Not Responding

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi There, More and more frequently when I am using Windows Explorer it freezes and alongside it's name at the top it also says in brackets (Not Responding). I then have the option to close or restart,, which of course, I do. When restarted some of my application no longer appear in the right hand side stysem tray and in order to restart them, I have to close down and reboot. Can anyone help please? Thank you, Norman
NormanR,

Sorry to hear of your difficulty.
Windows Explorer handles the files of your machine operating system, installed applications, drivers for your hardware, and data you may have saved.
As such, many things could cause problems with Windows Explorer.
  • Faulty third-party software
  • corrupted device driver
  • missing or corrupt Vista operating system file(s)
  • Corrupted files or bad-sectors in the file structure of your Hard Drive

From your problem description I sure don't know where to start, so I'll suggest to start at the basics:

Perform a Driver Error Checking on your boot drive (most likely C:\_
Start – Computer - right-click on each drive – Properties – Tools tab -> Error Checking (you should not need to check the disk surface)
But you do need to select to "automatically fix"
You may be required to provide Administrator Password
(Note: this is a fairly long procedure)

Full instructions here:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e…c41f811033.mspx

Next:

Consider Checking the actual content of Files in your Vista operating system, using system file checker.

Use the instructions found here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis…a-system-files/
_____________________

After you've completed the above, please post back here and let us know how the machine is running and what problems may still persist.

Best Regards
Hello Doug, Thank you for your response to my problem. I am about to leave for a few days away and will return on Tuesday after which, I will follow your instructions and report back accordingly. Regards, Norman
Hello Doug, Apologies for the delay in responding to your previous instructions. I have carried out the driver error checking but my problem still persisted so I then carried out your further instruction to try the Vista system file checking but you will see from the attached graphic, I was unable to continue with that as the message was that there is a missing file. Over to you. As always, my appreciation, Norman
Hello again NormanR,

Looks like you were successful in creating an elevated Administrative Command Prompt. Good.

Create the Administrator Command Prompt again.

You will then see:

C:\users\Norman R> <– followed by a blinking cursor

at the blinking cursor type:sfc /scannow <– Then press enter

Your command will look like the following: (notice you will only include the one command and not all of the command syntax options)

C:\users\Norman R>sfc /scannow <– then press Enter
Hi Norman R,

I certainly did loose track of this thread.
Thanks for getting my attention again. :blush:
Let's see if we can narrow this down.

I will number sections so that you will know that I need a reply to each numbered item.

1.
I want to confirm what you are reporting when you say….

When restarted some of my application no longer appear in the right hand side system tray and in order to restart them, I have to close down and reboot.


Am I correct in understanding that you are referring to the applications whose icons appear in the lower right bottom in your Taskbar near your clock in the area called the Notification Area? (active applications such as you Antivirus, Firewall, volume control, IM and the like would ordinarily appear there)

2.
Lets have a look in your Device Manager
You can find your Device Manager with the following steps:
Click Start - then Click Control Panel
Click on System and Maintenance <–(you may not see this item and can move to the next step)
double-click on Administrative Tools
double-click on Computer managment
Click on Device Manager

(easier way to get to Device Manager)
Click on Start - then click Run
in the open text box (type)devmgmt.msc - then click Enter

Now please inspect the items that appear in Device Manager.
Are there any Red or Yellow Error Warnings?
If yes, please jot them down on paper so you can report back here.

3.
Lets have a look in Event Viewer
Start - Control Panel -System and Maintenance - Administrative Tools - Select Event Viewer
In event viewer your will see the following catagories:
Application Events (your programs)
Security-Related Events
Setup Events
System Events


We may be most interested in System Events but "any" Event Errors happening just before or at the time of your problem with Explorer(not responding) may be of interest.

Double-Click the Event of interest to receive details
You should receive an Error ID
Please report the Error ID numbers back here into your next reply.
We will be able to determine additional information about your identified Error ID at http://www.eventid.net/

Here's an illustration (this machine is XP but will be similar)
It shows the Event ID as 7001
Below in the description is states the Event is related to Remote Access Connection Manager
(your Events will be different)
But that's the kind of information we need.
📎Event_Viewer_Properties_Example.jpg
____________________________

Norman R,

There are (3) three areas of interest above that I'm requesting your respond to with additional information that may be of use to us in diagnosing this problem.

there are additional steps we can take to investigate further as necessary.

Please reply to the three areas I've inquired about above.
Good Morning NormanR, If during your computer use, you receive specific Error Messages or Stop Codes, please write down the information using paper and pencil such that the "entire message" is captured, including any strings of numbers or alphanumeric characters. Edit: Please include these Error Message and Stop Code information in subsequent replies to this thread.
Good Morning Doug,

I have now carried out your last instructions and reprt as follows:

Am I correct in understanding that you are referring to the applications whose icons appear in the lower right bottom in your Taskbar near your clock in the area called the Notification Area? (active applications such as you Antivirus, Firewall, volume control, IM and the like would ordinarily appear there)

1) Yes, you are quite correct.

2) There were no red or yellow warnings in Device Manager.

3) The following error messages appeared in System Events during the past 2 days. I didn't go back any further as the errpr messages were repetitive:

7011, 7206, 7000, 7009, 15016, 7022 and warnings 4, 134 and 4001.

Furthermore below is a list of errors and warnings under the Administrative Events listings for the past 2 days:

Error 31/05/2009 16:24:01 Application Hang 1002 (101)
Error 31/05/2009 15:10:46 Search 3013 Gatherer
Error 31/05/2009 10:36:15 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7011 None
Error 31/05/2009 10:34:22 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7026 None
Error 31/05/2009 10:34:22 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7000 None
Error 31/05/2009 10:34:22 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7009 None
Error 31/05/2009 10:34:22 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7000 None
Error 31/05/2009 10:32:50 HttpEvent 15016 None
Warning 31/05/2009 10:32:39 E100B 4 None
Warning 31/05/2009 00:51:20 WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None
Warning 31/05/2009 00:51:12 User Profile Service 1530 None
Error 30/05/2009 23:23:47 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7026 None
Error 30/05/2009 23:23:47 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7000 None
Error 30/05/2009 23:22:23 HttpEvent 15016 None
Warning 30/05/2009 23:22:12 E100B 4 None
Warning 30/05/2009 18:05:48 WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None
Warning 30/05/2009 15:02:25 CCU_Engine 17 None
Error 30/05/2009 11:56:49 Application Hang 1002 (101)
Error 30/05/2009 10:13:10 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7022 None
Error 30/05/2009 10:09:32 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7026 None
Error 30/05/2009 10:09:32 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7000 None
Error 30/05/2009 10:07:59 HttpEvent 15016 None
Warning 30/05/2009 10:07:48 E100B 4 None
Warning 30/05/2009 00:02:31 WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None

I hope the above helps you to help me.

Please note, I am away from 10th June and back on 12th June so may not be able to respond immediately to further instructions. I'll be not too far from your part of the world in Las Vergas!

Best Wishes,
Norman R

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI