This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Updated drivers now blank screen (laptop)

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have tried system restore but doesn`t appear to help (tried in safe mode)


How far back does your Restore points go? Try one a day or two before the problem occured.


Regards
I tried going back 2 days (16th) (I am sure I has more restore points but some seem to have disappeared) It took about 40 minutes to then laptop rebooted but never got the window screen (on normal boot) after about 3 hours. So I reverted back to safe mode again
So safe mode is the only mode you can run it in?

What about:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/how_adjust_s…ws_t102217.html

Here you state that you have installed the grafik-drivers, and it seemed ok. Just trying
to get rid of any confusion :)

Please download Driverview.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

Direct download link: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.zip

Unzip and open.

double-Click the DriverView exe Icon

In the Edit menu, select "select All" option
Then in the file menu, select "save as"

This will create a text document. Please post that text as a attachment.
( http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_upload_I…ead_t96285.html)


regards
Here you state that you have installed the grafik-drivers, and it seemed ok. Just trying to get rid of any confusion ?? Not my thread. I managed to install the graphic driver as in the posts above, I was having trouble getting them to install but managed in the end. I was referring to `they installed ok` but didn`t change the situation regarding normal boot. I will try the links you have given however I am not getting internet connection on laptop so need to download on my PC and transfer over to the laptop via external hard drive, if its possible. I will post outcome later. thanks
I will just add this possible idea re:

C:/windows\system\drivers\tv.sys

Have you checked your BIOS regarding the possibility that the display has been set to external?

You could try renaming the above to:

C:/windows\system\drivers\tv.sys.BAK
I hope this is ok as I had some bother copy/pasting to create the log. I have just opened the attachment I will try and get something better. Apologies Ok I will try this attachment. xxxxx attachment is a bit better.

Here you state that you have installed the grafik-drivers, and it seemed ok. Just trying
to get rid of any confusion ??
Not my thread.


Ack, sorry 'bout that, seems it was I getting confused :blush: :lol:

Anyways, drivers looks ok, on paper…


Regards

You could try renaming the above to:

C:/windows\system\drivers\tv.sys.BAK


Is that the driver that is named tv
Located in C/ Windows\ststem 32\Drivers
It was created on 18th April that was the day I made changes to drivers
Yes. You mentioned it here:

Ok thanks I will try that.

I have been into windows defender (not that I know what it really is) and I came across this, don`t know if it helps.
Programs & actions name unknown 18/04/2009 20.14 could be around the time I was updating drivers.
Status…succeeded
Description…This programme has potentially unwanted behavior
Advice…Permit only if you trust the programme
Resources…Driver:tv
File…C:/windows\system\drivers\tv.sys
Category…not yet classified

I don`t think I have mentioned this in case it is valid. When I do a normal boot I get the window logo before the screen goes black (blank) It then sounds as if it is continually trying to load as the `green` lights 3 stay on as if the laptop is doing something. One of those 3 flickers occassionaly. I couldn`t find anuthing in the bios that showed display set to `external` nor did I see an option, there was a section for graphics I think it was.
Did you check out that Graphics section for any options?

Also I would try renaming that driver file.

If the issue persists look in your Event Viewer:

Event Viewer
————————————————–
Check your Event Viewer via Administrative Tools.

Open the System as well as Application tabs and look for red X errors that coincide with your problem. Details here:

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Basic information on Event Viewer errors can be found here: EventID.Net

You can right click on error lines then choose Properties then copy/paste using the clipboard icon:

[external image: Posted Image]
System Loads of ERRORs against Service control manager…Failed to load And also DCOM……Cannot be started in safe mode Warning against ftdisc Application Warnings against Userenv & MsiInstaller Error against Event system
Did you check out that Graphics section in the BIOS for any options? Did you rename that driver file? ………. Please try the following: try a normal boot and note the time (say 4:00 PM for example). Then go back to your Event Viewer > System and look for errors that occurred at 4:00 PM. If you can then pull up the properties and copy/paste the errors back here we can view the full details.
My wording slightly out in the bios it was video section not graphics, can`t see a graphics and there was no options for video. I changed the name of the tv in systems, still no normal boot. Logs, I hope logs ok as my options for saving are limited, had to make a seperate post for one due to size.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI