This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Can't remove 3 infected files

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Since April 1, my computer has been very slow to start up – approx. 10 minutes from the time I turn it on until everything is up and running. I contacted Norton (I use Norton 360), and was told to download the 3.0 upgrade, which I did. I ran the scan and nothing showed (however, Windows no longer recognizes that I have anti-virus software – I had to do some manipulation to get it to shut up about that).

Start-up is still slow and my computer slows down after I've been using it for a while. I also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Virus software. When I run that, I get a report indicating that 3 files are infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\msinfo.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\internat.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\JMXTDJNGUFZ.DLL (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.


Although I try to remove these files, and the report says that the files will be deleted on reboot. They never are. In fact, the .DLL file is is new – it first appeared on 4/16 – before that, I had just the 2 .exe files showing after the scans. I've tried using the fileASSASIN tool in the Malwarebytes' program, but I get a message that says "the above file name is invalid."

I contacted Norton again today – during a live chat session, they said they'd be glad to have one of their consultants remove the file – for $100. I run a small nonprofit, it is the company computer, and there isn't $100 in the budget to pay for something that their software should have prevented in the first place, and should have at least removed in the second place.

HELP!!

Thanks!
Maryanna C
Hi Maryanna_C

Please post a Hijackthis log. If you do not have this scan tool still on your computer, please follow these instructions for downloading and installing Hijack this correctly.

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
Please follow the prompts to ensure it is installed in the proper folder and
a shortcut is created.
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Thanks
Hi – I'm so sorry I didn't reply sooner. Someone suggested that I run the scan/fix disc utility, which I did. Error messages have stopped, start-up is faster, and Malwarebytes' program no longer shows the 3 infected files. Looks like this problem is solved. Thanks! :wavey: Maryanna_C
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI