This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Cannot Open

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

tallin, OOOPS, lmao…. 4got to give u this,lol, sry :blush: Memory This module contains information about operating system memory and the memory manager. Memory General Memory Load 79 % Total Physical Memory 233,283,584 Bytes (222.48 MB) Available Physical Memory 47,038,464 Bytes (44.86 MB) Total Page File 568,827,904 Bytes (542.48 MB) Available Page File 251,142,144 Bytes (239.51 MB) Total Virtual Memory 2,147,352,576 Bytes (2.00 GB) Available Virtual Memory 2,098,008,064 Bytes (1.95 GB) Extended Virtual Memory None Swap File Size 317,685,760 Bytes (302.97 MB) Swap File Usage 44 % Page Size 4,096 Bytes (4 KB) Allocation Granularity 65,536 Bytes (64 KB) Minimum Program Address 0x10000 Maximum Program Address 0x7FFEFFFF _______________________________________________________________________________ Generated by FreshDiagnose © 2009, FreshDevices, Corp. Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 04:01:57 pm newbe17 :popcorn:
Well done with sending the report on your RAM installed. I have already mentioned that I think the lack of RAM is your main problem. However when you post the Pit Test we will see if your system has room to install more which will markedly improve the performance for you. You are at the stage you posted your last message using 79% of your entire installed RAM. To run Windows XP, the minimum RAM is recommended to be 512MB so it is obvious to me that you need more Random Access Memory. However when you post the Pitstop full scan we can proceed from there to assist you with any further issues. kind regards,
Tallin, I have been experiencing a bad lag problem and because of that I haven't been able to connect quickly enough to download the starter program at pc pit stop. im also running a spybot search and destroy scan and it has found numerous problems. One being something called Virtumonde, there is one entry. The second one being called Win32.TDSS.rtk, there are 12 registry enries for that one. Should I have spy bot fix all of the above problems before closing? newbe17
Hi newbe17. Sorry to say but you still have (or have picked up new) malware on your system. I know it's a pain but please return to your thread in the malware forum and ask for some additional help. Need to get rid of Virtumonde and Win32.TDSS.rtk.
Hello All, I've had a couple of days to think about this and to the best of my memory the crash came as I was using pc doctor. I am almost sure that is when my pc began booting me up in doss, asking me what happened and giving me the options of how I would like to start up windows. If I don't make a choice after 30 seconds, it starts up windows normally on its own just fine. I would very much like to know how to get windows to boot up normally without having doss give me the questions and options. Any and all help concerning this issue would be greatly appreciated. newbe17 :popcorn:
Okay, read through your replay with TomK in the malware forum, so it looks like your clean now, yeah!

So when you boot your computer, you end up at the Windows Advanced Options menu, right? I wonder if there is a problem with your boot.ini.

Copy the two lines in red below then open notepad and paste it in.
Save as showboot.bat somwhere that you can find it.
Open My Computer or Windows Explorer and navigate to where you saved the file.
Double click on showboot.bat to launch it.
Copy the data from your boot.ini that will show up in a notepad window and paste it here.
Close the notepad window.

@echo off
cd \ & attrib -s -h -r boot.ini & notepad boot.ini & attrib +s +h +r boot.ini
Hello Ztrucker, :wavey: Thank you for answering this thread :) Here ya go: [boot loader] timeout=0 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons newbe17
Your XP appears to be on the 2nd partition on your hard drive.

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

What is on the first partition? Also, what is the drive letter assigned to your Windows XP partition you are booting from?

Please do the following:
  • Open a Command Prompt (Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter or click OK)
  • Enter notepad partlist.txt. Click Yes when asked if you want to create the file
  • Copy the following lines in red and paste them into the notepad window
    select disk=0
    list partition
    select disk=1
    list partition
    list volume
  • Save the file (Ctrl+S or File / Save) then close the notepad window.
Enter the following in the Command Prompt window:

diskpart /s partlist.txt

The result will be something like the following, depending on how many hard drives you have (I have 2) and how many partitions are on each.

C:\>diskpart /s partlist.txt

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright © 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DESKTOP

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Partition ### Type Size Offset
————- —————- ——- ——-
Partition 1 Primary 20 GB 32 KB
Partition 2 Primary 59 GB 20 GB
Partition 3 Primary 39 GB 78 GB
Partition 4 Primary 116 GB 117 GB

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

Partition ### Type Size Offset
————- —————- ——- ——-
Partition 1 Primary 49 GB 32 KB
Partition 2 Extended 100 GB 49 GB
Partition 3 Logical 100 GB 49 GB

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
———- — ———– —– ———- ——- ——— ——–
Volume 0 H CD-ROM 0 B
Volume 1 I DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 2 C HP_C NTFS Partition 20 GB Healthy System
Volume 3 D HP_D NTFS Partition 59 GB Healthy
Volume 4 E HP_E NTFS Partition 39 GB Healthy
Volume 5 F HP_F NTFS Partition 116 GB Healthy
Volume 6 G HP_G NTFS Partition 49 GB Healthy Pagefile

To post the response here, do the following:
  • Right click on the command prompt window title bar, select Edit then Mark
  • Use the mouse to select all the output from the ping command, them click the right mouse button. This will copy the data to the clipboard.
  • Paste the data in a post here
Ztrucker, Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] © Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>notepad partlist.txt C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>diskpart /s partlist.txt Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565 Copyright © 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: YOUR-27E1513D96 C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner> hope that is correct :popcorn: newbe17
Ztrucker, partitions on my hard drive… That's all greek to me. I'm doing good just to be able to follow your instructions properly, thanks a lot :) newbe17
I don't see the output from the diskpart commadn you entered. Did you copy the text in red from my post and paste it into partlist.txt before running the diskpart command?

Another way to get the data I would like to see is upload an image of Disk Manager here.

To start Disk Manager, click on Start then Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click OK. Expand the window so everything is visible, then follow directions in the links below.

How to capture screen images
How to upload an Image into your Thread

It should look something like this:
[attachment removed]

only without so many partitions.
Ztrucker, I couldn't get the paint file to upload because it was too big, so I put it into a zip folder and uploaded it. I hope this worked, I'm in undiscovered territory here,lol. newbe17 [attachment removed]
Yes, that was fine, thanks.

You have a 6GB FAT32 partition that appears physically to be the first one on the hard drive. This must be where the manufacturer put the Recovery partition. It has the drive letter D:.

Your System (XP) partition is 68GB and is C:, so there should not be any problem with that setup nor should it be contributing to you getting the Windows Advanced Options menu every time you boot.

Try booting to the Recovery Console (2nd choice in the boot selection window). Select C: as to boot and Administrator (no password) to login as.

Enter bootcfg /rebuild. It scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP installations, and then displays the results. You can add the detected Windows installations.

You may receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)
Enter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect)

You should:
Enter Y to add it.
Enter Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the Load identifier
Enter /noexecute=optin /fastdetect for Load Options

Shutdown and reboot, see if you still get the Windows Advanced Options menu or not.

See here for information on bootcfg: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980
Ztrucker, I have been very busy these last couple of days getting programs and updates since reformatting my c drive. I went into what I thought was the recovery console and there were none of the options you spoke of, I ended up doing a recovery, after further thought, I decided to go ahead and reformat the drive (destructive recovery) anyway, thanks for your time on this issue, and I'm glad to be able to say there are no problems with my pc :) newbe17

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI