This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop running very slow, sound is distorted

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

Just went through the HJT/infection removal section of the forum and to make sure there is no garbage on my computer. After that process though I still find my laptop to be running very slowly. I'm now thinking that I have a hardware problem and am turning to this section of the forum to hopefully get some help.

Anyone have a suggestion to what problems I might be facing?

Here is the link to my topic in the HJT/infection removal section: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_run…ed_t100898.html

Thanks,

Sean
Hi rugbydude,

I have read your entire HJT link with TomK who has given you most all the expert links to assist with slow running systems.

Regarding defragging your HD. How much free space have you got on it? If you don't have at least 15% free you will not be able to defrag successfully.

Keep us posted. Others may come by with further suggestions for you.

kind regards,
Hi Tallin, As of right now, I have about 50% free space on my C drive and about 80% free space on my D drive…I've been removing alot of stuff I haven't used in a long time to try to speed things up and get the defrag to work better. I've ran a few defrags in the past couple or days and it still doesn't seem to be speeding up at all. I also went through and made the changed suggested by Tomk in my posting on the other section. Rugbydude
Are you using Windows XP defragmenter
  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System Tools
  • Disk defragmenter
If you are please try Auslogics disk defrag. I can recommend it as I use it on all my systems with very good results.

kind regards,
I was encountering problems with the windows defrag so I've been using smart defrag. I can try out Auslogics defrag, give it a go and see what happens
:thumbup: to using Auslogics defrag. I am curious to know what trouble you were having with Windows Defragmenter - your answer maybe, just maybe part of the slow computer trouble. Please post back with the issue re Windows Defragmenter. thanks, kind regards,
Hi Tallin, I think my windows defrag problem was the fact that I hadn't run a defrag in quite a while and the hard drive was near capacity and extremely fragmented. After cleaning things up a bit the windows defrag seems to be working correctly now. The aftermarket defrag seem to do a much better job though, with a better interface. Speed isn't up to snuf yet though, still getting distorted sound and computer is bogging down.
With not defragging for some time, you would need to run a defrag program several times, rebooting in between defragging with either Windows or Auslogics programs in my opinion.

Have you got your Windows OS CD? It would be worth running the SFCScan as follows.

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

  • Start
  • Run
  • type:sfc /scannow (note the space between the c / )
  • Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack- SP1 when SP2 or SP3 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.


SFC no disc, no friends able to help.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.

Keep us posted how you are progressing.

You may like to check over the first and fifth link in my signature to assist you with keeping your system running well.

kind regards,


Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI