sam_online
Topic Starter
Hello All.
I hope you can help. I'll outline my issue and then post the HJT log. Thanks so much for your attention.
Platform: Dell Optiplex GX620 Desktop running Win XP Pro SP3.
Problem: As soon as I log in, I get a pop-up titled System Shutdown, with a message (which has a 60 second countdown on it) which displays Windows needs to restart as the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service terminated unexpectedly. In Normal Boot mode, I enter 'shutdown -a' into the run dialog and it seems to cancel but after a minute or two everything freezes. In Safe Boot mode, however, I can enter 'shutdown -a' and it cancels the message. THe browser when activated closes immediately without message so I have no internet connection on that machine, though I have access on one near by. I've also (recently) unplugged the network cable. The system is considerably slower.
A recent development on this issue (in Normal Boot mode) is that I also get another message titled "Data Execution Prevention" reporting that the Spooler Subsystem App program has been closed to protect my computer (though the DCOM pop-up has been around for longer than this and seems more serious).
I've cleaned temp files with ATF, used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and installed and ran avast anti-virus in boot mode … without joy unfortunately. I've also disable System Restore (as I've read, the backups can store malware).
This HJT log was generated in Safe Boot mode. I hope and pray you can help. Thanks again for your consideration.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:16:23, on 08/03/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\js\My Documents\security_software-renamed\HiJck.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.euro.dell.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe,
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure Manager] "C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Common\FSM32.EXE" /splash
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure TNB] "C:\Program Files\F-Secure\FSGUI\TNBUtil.exe" /CHECKALL /WAITFORSW
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-293373357-3080907669-3134386944-1009\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\lsphsx.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\lspcvv.dll
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS4\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CS4\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: F-Secure Gatekeeper Handler Starter - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Anti-Virus\fsgk32st.exe
O23 - Service: F-Secure Network Request Broker - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Common\FNRB32.EXE
O23 - Service: F-Secure Automatic Update Agent (FSAUA) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\FSAUA\program\fsaua.exe
O23 - Service: F-Secure Anti-Virus Firewall Daemon (FSDFWD) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\FWES\Program\fsdfwd.exe
O23 - Service: FSMA - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Common\FSMA32.EXE
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Iap - Dell Inc - C:\Program Files\Dell\OpenManage\Client\Iap.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
–
End of file - 6944 bytes
I hope you can help. I'll outline my issue and then post the HJT log. Thanks so much for your attention.
Platform: Dell Optiplex GX620 Desktop running Win XP Pro SP3.
Problem: As soon as I log in, I get a pop-up titled System Shutdown, with a message (which has a 60 second countdown on it) which displays Windows needs to restart as the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service terminated unexpectedly. In Normal Boot mode, I enter 'shutdown -a' into the run dialog and it seems to cancel but after a minute or two everything freezes. In Safe Boot mode, however, I can enter 'shutdown -a' and it cancels the message. THe browser when activated closes immediately without message so I have no internet connection on that machine, though I have access on one near by. I've also (recently) unplugged the network cable. The system is considerably slower.
A recent development on this issue (in Normal Boot mode) is that I also get another message titled "Data Execution Prevention" reporting that the Spooler Subsystem App program has been closed to protect my computer (though the DCOM pop-up has been around for longer than this and seems more serious).
I've cleaned temp files with ATF, used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and installed and ran avast anti-virus in boot mode … without joy unfortunately. I've also disable System Restore (as I've read, the backups can store malware).
This HJT log was generated in Safe Boot mode. I hope and pray you can help. Thanks again for your consideration.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:16:23, on 08/03/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\js\My Documents\security_software-renamed\HiJck.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.euro.dell.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe,
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure Manager] "C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Common\FSM32.EXE" /splash
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure TNB] "C:\Program Files\F-Secure\FSGUI\TNBUtil.exe" /CHECKALL /WAITFORSW
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-293373357-3080907669-3134386944-1009\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\lsphsx.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\lspcvv.dll
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS4\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cdri.ucl.ac.uk
O17 - HKLM\System\CS4\Services\Tcpip\..\{61F37987-1C85-471C-BAC6-74833FE117A7}: NameServer = 144.82.100.41,144.82.100.1
O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: F-Secure Gatekeeper Handler Starter - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Anti-Virus\fsgk32st.exe
O23 - Service: F-Secure Network Request Broker - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Common\FNRB32.EXE
O23 - Service: F-Secure Automatic Update Agent (FSAUA) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\FSAUA\program\fsaua.exe
O23 - Service: F-Secure Anti-Virus Firewall Daemon (FSDFWD) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\FWES\Program\fsdfwd.exe
O23 - Service: FSMA - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Common\FSMA32.EXE
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Iap - Dell Inc - C:\Program Files\Dell\OpenManage\Client\Iap.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
–
End of file - 6944 bytes