This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Malware/Virtumonde Infection

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hmm, nothing showing there.

I'm going to recommend that you start a new topic in our Micorosoft Windows forum. There they should be able to provide you will assistance in sorting out this problem. Although this may have initially been caused by your infection a year and a half ago, I do not think any Malware is involved any more.


Click Start >> Run, and then type ComboFix /u and hit enter.
You can now delete any other tools I had you download and use, unless you wish to keep them.


Now that your system appears to be clean, there's just a few steps I'd like you to take to prevent any future infections.
  • Keeping your Windows up-to-date is crucial to your computer's security. Please go to the Windows Update Site (using Internet Explorer) and download and install all critical updates on a regular basis.

  • Make sure you update your Anti-Virus software regularly, new viruses are being developed all the time.

  • Some more programs that it would be useful to have [OPTIONAL but RECOMMENDED]:

    Download Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5 from here
    Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.

    SpywareBlaster is another real-time scanner that prevents most spyware from even being installed.
    Freely available: Download SpywareBlaster

    Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.
Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein: So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Glad we could be of assistance.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.

Stay Clean!

jpshortstuff
Thanks for your help. I'll probably just gear up for a reformat and reload. I'm overdue for one anyway. I know you guys are really busy and a reload is probably the best solution. Thanks for your help with the infection though as I was having problems backing files up but now it's running smoother with minimum crashes. Thanks again.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI