Hi tallin,
Your program looks like it could be a winner, though I haven't downloaded it.
It seems a free registration is required, and I would only do that if necessary.
It;s good to know of that program though, it seems to have many other useful features.
Thanks for your input
By far, the best screen capture program I have used is SnagIt, which, long ago, was free for home use. But starting a couple versions ago, they started charging the ridiculous price of $40, and I see now they are charging $50. It is not worth it (for me anyway) unless you need to capture animation and videos.
Now I use MWSnap. It does not "install", works great, and is "free"! Although built for XP, it works with Vista too.
I think that most of the time Print Screen works, but over time as I helped different users I have requested screen shots, and it seems that sometimes it just doesn’t work for whatever reason.
With a little help from Noviciate, Bob4, and AutoIT Team we came with a simple program and a detailed canned speech witch makes for easy screen shots.
Right Click on a blank space on your tool bar (red Arrow) to get the following menu.
click Toolbars/ Desktop. (Black Arrow)
[external image: Posted Image]
You should now see Desktop on your toolbar next to the clock.
[external image: Posted Image]
Next recreate the error that your getting then
By clicking on the arrows next to "Desktop" you should see the desktop contents .
With the error your receiving showing on your desktop
Scroll or place your pointer on screenshot or screenshot.exe and click once. If you get a security warning, simply click Run.
A new JPEG Image will appear on your desktop called screenshot or screenshot.jpg
Add that as an attachment to your next post.
It seems to work really well, and its easy to use. For general use you would leave out Next recreate the error that your getting, and Add that as an attachment to your next post…but you get the picture its an easy to use tool
Just a suggestion:
Why place screenshot.exe on the Desktop? Put it in a folder some then place a shortcut to it in the Quick Launch area of the Taskbar. Then a single click gets the screen capture you want. I think this is much easier than adding a Desktop Toolbar, also a bit more intuitive as most people are used to using the Quick Launch area.
Why place screenshot.exe on the Desktop? Put it in a folder some then place a shortcut to it in the Quick Launch area of the Taskbar. Then a single click gets the screen capture you want. I think this is much easier than adding a Desktop Toolbar, also a bit more intuitive as most people are used to using the Quick Launch area.
not a bad idea Ztruker, let me play around and see what I come up with
Please download screenshot.exe byAutoIT Team and save it to a folder of your choice.
Enable Quick Launch Toolbar (if you don’t have it on already) by right-clicking the Taskbar and choosing Toolbars > Quick Launch. (You’ll see it appear to the left of the main Taskbar - by default it will contain just two icons Internet Explorer, and Show Desktop)
Navigate to the folder where you saved screenshot.exe, click on Screenshot and drag it to your Quick Launch Toolbar.
Recreate the error that your getting
With the error your receiving showing on your desktop scroll or place your pointer on the screenshot icon in your Quick Launch Toolbar and click once. If you get a security warning, simply click Run.
A new JPEG Image of your desk top will appear in the folder where you saved screenshot .exe
Add that as an attachment to your next post.
It does seem to be a little more user friendly…. what do you all think?
Asking folks to modify their desktop (adding toolbars) just to accomodate adding a screen shot does not seem practical, or necessary to me. That is too much to "undo" if they don't want to keep that configuration. Some folks do not have or want QuickLaunch, or they already have it set the way they want it. Most people do not need to frequently grab a screen shot.
I think any program suggested should be installed by what ever method they normally install programs. For example, all my "utilities" go somewhere under d:\utilities - why would I change my routine? Then they can just add a shortcut to the program to their desktop, Start menu, or QL toolbar if they want. They can install the program, right click on the executable and select Pin to Start Menu too. And when they are done, they can simply delete the shortcut, and not have to mess with toolbars.
Your logic is but 2 many digits for some, it is simple and direct.
I love it.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, Those who understand logic and those who don't.
Jkc73
I think there are two kinds of people in this world. Those that understand what you're saying here, and those that don't. I fall into the second category.
Care to try to explain what you mean by either of those statements?
(I understand the "I love it. " )
Can we split this thread into two separate topics?
I'd like to take the original post by Jkc73 and make it a Windows made easy tip, as it is now written, then Doug could remove all the extraneous posts.
Create a separate thread for BHowett's post using the screenshot.exe program. That might be a good candidate for a Windows Advanced (need a good name for this one too, Windows not quite so easy just doesn't have that ring to it ).