Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

old Dell Latitude CPi A Series will not power on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crt

crt

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I am checking out an old Dell Latitude CPi A Series laptop (Windows 98) for a friend. Ironically, I have a similar model/vintage myself that is working just fine. Anyway, I suspect that the mobo on the non-working laptop is the problem and I am suggesting to my friend that it is time to buy a new laptop.

Here's the situation:

When pressing the Latitude CPi power button, power button light briefly comes on, battery light flickers once. Fan does not come on, HD does not spin. I have tried this with and without the AC power adapter, with and without the battery installed. When using the AC power adapter, I do get a green LED light on the AC power adapter.

As Dell suggested on one of their diagnostic web pages, I tried pressing and holding the Fn key at the same time as I pressed and held down the power button. I looked at Dell's chart for Diagnostic LEDs for no post/no boot situations.

http://support.dell....o...lang=en&cs=

What I get by holding both the Fn key and the power button is all three lights, solid green for 4 seconds, 1 flash, and solid green on all three lights for 4 seconds and so forth. If I stop holding down the power button and the Fn key, all lights go off. If I am understanding the chart correctly, the light codes indicate a mobo problem. What do you think?

I hooked up the laptop to a known good CRT and got nothing, which I expected.

I removed the HD from the laptop that won't power on and installed it on my similar working laptop. Fortunately the HD of the nonworking laptop works properly and I was able to copy all my friends files.

I have now carefully taken apart the bad laptop per Dell's online service manual. From a quick look the insides look free of dust. I do not want to get into soldering if that is what's needed. I am a raw beginner at soldering and do not want to practice on someone else's equipment. What I am going to do is check the connections, look for burn marks, indications of overheating, anything obviously damaged.

Any suggestions of what else I can safely do while I have the covers off?

I still think a new laptop is the answer, but my friend insists that I should chase the problem and he's paying me ( a little). I figure it's a good learning experience, if nothing else.

Thank you.

Chris

Edited by crt, 24 February 2009 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image crt,

I can only welcome you here to our forum and commend you on your first post with details as required when wanting assistance as you do.

One of the more experienced Team with come by to attempt to assist you so please be patient as none of them are online at this present time.

kind regards,

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi,
Presumably you have checked the power connector by moving the power line connector at the laptop back and forth and up and down to see if this helps in any way..

Having spent considerable time in disassembling the machine (it is already now beyond economic repair at commercial rates) you can treat it as a learning experience, but please follow the normal personal safety and ESD (anti-static) precautions........if you are not sure on any of this post back for further info

You are quite right, its not a good idea to solder/unsolder anything on any computer without having received expert tuition and become reasonably knowledgeable and proficient using scrap or expendable materials........( I won't suggest that your friend's computer may now fall into this category.......that decision is up to you and him!

At this stage I would concentrate on checking the things that you suggest.....if you can borrow or as a last resort buy a mobo tester this may help......There are some very inexpensive testers available via for example eBay, but as always be careful what you and how you buy. The following is provided purely as an example and does not carry any recommendation by me or What The Tech in any way...please make your own enquiries as regards electrical safety, suitability and fitness for purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...k...A1|240:1318

A useful technique is to unplug easily unpluggable components (keep an audit trail in the form of a repair log of what goes where, and a cheap digital camera is worth its weight in gold to take snaps of layouts etc.
Good luck
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate