Hello
I am using the above and just hit a snag.
I have a list of items like;
1 - mmmmmmmm
2 - hhhhhhh
3-jjjjjjjjj
and so on. When I want to add an item like; 4- dddddd, I just put my cursor behind the end of # 3+ hit enter. The cursor now allows me to type in # 4.
Today, for the first time, when I click anywhere on the page, a box appears and I can't insert items without erasing another.
What am I not aware of?
Thank you
there are many methods for your issue listed on that page. the first one i would try would be the "detect and repair" feature. if that does not do the trick the next method i would try would be to delete the normal.dotm or normal.dot file. this file stores formatting settings and could very well be were your problem is…
post back if you have any questions or if you resolve your issue.
Hello M.M.
Thank you for replying. As you can tell I am new to Word but just wanted to use a program to create a letter or file now and then. My Canon printer requires 'Word' to perform ocr etc.
1-I removed some of the information from the page/file I was having trouble with and it allowed me to enter the new information as though there was no problem.
Could the page, being full, be the problem? If I need more room, I wonder if I could just create a folder and put another file in it for the excess info the one page could not hold? Now the folder would hold both pages.
2-Regarding the registry, I just got over a couple of registry issues and during the process I seem to have gotten the idea that the registry for xp can not be backed up the old fashion way, like regedit,eport> desktop, 'backup', registration files, all..
3- I will read your hyperlink to see if it is different though.
So, before I create problems by tinkering with the registry-I have become very leery due to my low level of tech knowledge- , could you please read this post and let me know what you think.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Microsoft Word should allow you to create multiple pages of documents. I have seen documents have hundreds of pages, so there should not be a reason why you would need to create 2 seperate files for 1 document you are trying to create.
If you are having issues with Word I would recommend running the Detect and Repair feature found in the Help menu.
To run the Detect and Repair feature in your Office programs, follow these steps:
Start an Office program.
On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
In the Detect and Repair dialog box, do any of the following:
Click to select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box. By default, this check box is selected. If you select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing option, Detect and Repair will keep your custom Office shortcuts. If you do not select this option, Detect and
Repair will remove your custom Office shortcuts.
Click to select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings check box. If you select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings option, Detect and Repair will set the following back to the state that they appeared in when you first installed Office:
The Assistant character selection.
Most-recently-used entries on the File menu will be removed.
The size of the program window for all programs.
Menu and toolbar position and any customizations.
The security level for each program.
View settings in the program, such as the Calendar view in Outlook.
You must re-enter your User Name and Initials when you restart your Office programs.
Click Start.
Click Ignore if the Close Office Programs dialog box displays the following message (where program is any Office program that is currently running):
In order to correctly pick up or restore your settings, the following programs must be closed:
Microsoft program
After the repair process has completed, click OK to the following message where edition is the version of Office that you have installed (for example, Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003):
Microsoft Office edition Setup completed successfully.
That should take care of your Word issue. You also mentioned something about your printer… Are you having an issue with that? OCR stands for optical character recognition and is usually used when you scan a letter or other text document and then OCR turns it into editable text.
Anyways, let's take care of your Word issue first and get back to that later.
Post your results after you have ran the Detect and Repair feature.
Thanx for the reply M.M.
In detect and repair, I selected the one that did not have a check in front of it which is discard and restore. I did so as I don't have any settings etc to keep and only use Word to create an occasional file.
It asked me to insert a disk and upon doing so, it began scanning. A report said it found that a file was missing and it fixed it. It said "successful".
Yes, I will stop here so you can give the above a quick read and thank you again for your help..
Hi M.M.
I think one of my tools was corrupted.
When I want to create an editible document from my Canon Pixma 310 AIO, I have to use "Word" or, Office containing Word, as Nuance is a company bundled inside this Canon AIO printer. I called the company and they said If I did not have Office or Word I could not use the software.
But, I already scanned to my pc ok. and was just checking facts.
The Word document acted unlike any doc I have ever seen. The moment my cursor touched the page, a large dotted box appeared(like the box you use in editing photography to crop) and seemed to attend to only the top if I clicked there or only the bottom half if I clicked there. I was therefore working with boxed areas I could not control. Also, I could not place a cursor beween lines to type something new.
Before I had you do the work I tried some things.
1-the repair you taught me which is in my learning folder as a good aid.
2-A reinstall of Office using just word -that is when I had to insert the disk and it found a file missing which it fixed. My error for using a custom install.
I think the key all this time was the original doc. which was corrupted so no matter where I saved it, the corruption remained.
Please forgive my vagueness here but it has been a journey.
*** I ended up by opening the corrupted doc and copy and pasting first the top(box), then the bottom(box) to a new Word doc, then dumped both files into a new folder. This seemed to join them properly and functionally. I 'send to' this doc to my falsh drive and it functions as it should there.
Hope this makes sense; it has relieved me of worry as it was important to me.
In the future if a Word" doc is corrupted is there an easier way. I do not want to learn a lot about word just to use it to create docs .
Thank you for listening
Ahhhh… So what you are saying is that you started out by scanning a document with your Canon and then it imported into Word and that caused you to have a corrupt document….
If you want to be able to create a simple Word document you should be able to go to:
Start
All Programs
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Word
Once the program is open you should be able to type and save your document easily.
Thanks!
Topic Resolved and closed.
If you are the original poster and need to re-open the topic, please contact a Mod/Admin.
If you are not the original poster and have a similar issue please open a New Topic to share/receive information
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI