This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Dialog Box ' Cannot find C:\WINDOWS\syst

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all,

I am running a Windows XP Pro system and after suffering from several malware infections over the past couple of weeks I am getting the following message in a dialog box on start up :

Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SCtri.exe. make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

I then have to click the close 'x' button to get rid of it. I can then use the PC as normal.

I have run numerous scans for malware recently using 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware', 'Ad-aware', 'Spyware Terminator', and 'Stopzilla'.

My anti-virus is 'Avast' free version.

I have also run Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.

Is this message a remnant of a malware infection which has changed the Registry? or am I still infected?

Any help would be appreciated.
I would guess that this is simply the result of Windows trying to follow an instruction to run a file that no longer exists. Depending on how this instruction is phrased to the computer, Windows either just ignores it and moves on, or prompts for a solution.

Read the following, doing whatever is necessary, and then post a HJT log and i'll see if I can see what is causing the issue: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
Hi, Thanks for replying. I seem to have sorted it out by running Hijack This and just deleting the registry change entry referring to the SCtri search. I rebooted and everything seems to be working fine so far, the dialog box no longer appears. If I get any further problems I will follow the instructions you gave. Many thanks again.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI