2. What is What the Tech?
The What the Tech site acts as a venue for Users to obtain answers from other people who offer their support and expertise on a completely volunteer basis. The What the Tech site provides the infrastructure to facilitate this sharing of information. However, we are not involved in the actual support between Users and Support Providers. We are not involved in any way in the creation of the content of the information or digital goods that are shared between Users and Support Providers.
3. What the Tech Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers
- What the Tech is a family friendly site, accessible to anyone over 13 years of age. Please keep all content appropriate.
- We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.
- Because of the potential for harm, only staff members approved for malware removal are allowed to offer malware removal advice or reply to malware topics.
- Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.
- Each forum member may have only one account.
- Choose an appropriate username. It should be family friendly, and not offensive.
- Religious and political messages are not permitted, including signatures.
- No solicitation of contributions, directly or indirectly, unless previously approved by an admin.
- Use of "Your IP is..." signatures is not permitted. They are confusing and frightening to some users.
- The posting of images is allowed on the support forums. Please respect dial-up users. Avatars should not be more than 16kB, and signatures not more than 35kB, in total. Large images in the forums will be automatically resized, but please keep them less than 800x600 pixels.
- Do not use an overly distracting avatar/signature, ie. bright flashing colors, animated GIF's/Flash.
- The posting of links in signatures to rival tech sites is not permitted. If you do your post will be subject to editing by a moderator or administrator of What the Tech. Continuing to do so will be treated as spam and result in the termination of your membership.
- If linking to another tech site the resource must not be available on What the Tech through either the Support Forums or the rest of the site, and the link must be relevant to the members question.
- A simple text link to a personal site is okay, as long as it meets our normal family friendly, and safe surfing guidelines. You must own or be closely associated with the site. No banners, referral links, etc.
- Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.
- The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.
- We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.
- We cannot help you get around any administrative restrictions imposed on a school, work or other network not owned and operated by yourself. These restrictions can include (but are not limited to): website blocking/filtering, software installation, email retention, software configuration, network/internet usage, network configuration, forum or chat room restrictions, game server restrictions, or any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question.
- We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
If you're here to spam, you will be banned without warning.
You may post content on this site, so long as the content is not:
- Invasive of privacy
- Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights)
- Racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable
- Otherwise harmful or injurious to third parties
If you do post or otherwise submit questions, answers feedback, or any other content, and unless we indicate otherwise, you grant What the Tech and its affiliates a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you post; that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify What the Tech or its affiliates for all claims resulting from content you supply. What the Tech has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any activity or content. What the Tech takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content posted by you or any third party.
What the Tech does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of any of the answers that are provided in response to your questions, and we make no representations or warranties of any kind about these answers.
5. License and Site Access
What the Tech grants you a limited license to access and make personal use of this site and not to download (other than page caching) or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of What the Tech. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents; any collection and use of any questions or answers displayed on this site; any derivative use of this site or its contents; any downloading or copying of information for the benefit of another business; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. This site or any portion of this site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of What the Tech.
We are not responsible for the loss, deletion, failure to store, misdelivery, or untimely delivery of any Content submitted or transmitted through or to the Site.
6. Grant of License
When you post or transmit Content on, to, or through the Site, you grant the Site a nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, sublicensable, royalty-free license to use, store, display, publish, transmit, transfer, distribute, reproduce, rearrange, edit, modify, aggregate your Content with other Content, create derivative works of and publicly perform that Content for any purpose on and through each of the services provided by the Site or on other sites owned by What the Tech, including its parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates (whether now existing or yet to be established), marketing affiliates (whether now existing or subsequently established), and advertising partners (whether now existing or subsequently established). This license shall apply to the distribution and the storage of your Content in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed.
7. Use of the Site and the Site Content
All Content displayed on or made available on our Site is protected by copyright or trademark as a collective work and/or compilation, pursuant to copyright and trademark laws and international conventions. Any reproduction, modification, creation of derivative works from or redistribution of the Content or collective work, and/or copying or reproducing the Content or any portion thereof to any other server or location for further reproduction or redistribution is prohibited without the express written consent of What the Tech, and you agree to abide by any and all intellectual property notices displayed on the Site. You may not decompile or disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover any source code contained in the Site. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, or exploit for any commercial purposes, any aspect of the Content or Site.
You may not use the Site in any manner that interferes with our normal operations or with the use and enjoyment of another user. You may only access the Site and the Content through the interfaces provided by the Site. You agree to use the Site only for its intended lawful purpose and in accordance with applicable laws. You understand that by using the Site, you may be exposed to Content that you find offensive or objectionable.
8. Our Rights
We maintain the right to do any of the following, at any time, with or without prior notice:
- restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of our Site;
- change, suspend, or discontinue all or any part of our Site;
- refuse, move, or remove any Content;
- refuse to register any user name that may be deemed offensive;
- establish general practices and policies concerning the Site.
You agree that What the Tech, in its sole discretion, has the right (but not the obligation) to delete or deactivate your account, block your email or IP address, or otherwise terminate your access to or use of the Site (or any part thereof), immediately and without notice, and remove and discard any Content within the Site, for any reason, including, without limitation, if What the Tech believes that you have violated the Terms. Further, you agree that What the Tech shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your access to the Site. Further, you agree not to attempt to use the Site after said termination. Attempts to evade a ban will lead to possible revocation of Internet access and/or criminal charges.
10. Disclaimer of Warranties
You agree that use of What the Tech is entirely at your own risk and What the Tech is provided on an "as is" or "as available" basis, without any warranties of any kind. All express and implied warranties, including without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement of proprietary rights are expressly disclaimed to the fullest extent permitted by law. What the Tech also disclaims any warranties for viruses or other harmful components in connection with the Site. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties. In such jurisdictions, some of the foregoing disclaimers may not apply to you insofar as they relate to implied warranties.
11. Limitations of Liability
We cannot guarantee the accuracy, security or quality of Content posted on or transmitted through the Site. Without limitation, we are not responsible for the Content posted by users on the Site and your use of the Site and any services provided is at your own risk. Under no circumstances shall What the Tech be liable for direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or exemplary damages (even if What the Tech has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from any aspect of your use of the Site, whether such damages arise from use or misuse of the Site, from inability to use the Site, or the interruption, suspension, modification, alteration, or termination of the Site. Such limitation shall also apply with respect to damages incurred by any information or advice received through the Site to the fullest extent permitted by law. Certain states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of certain damages. In such jurisdictions, some of the foregoing limitations may not apply to you.
You agree to indemnify and hold What the Tech, its officers, subsidiaries, parents, affiliates, successors, assigns, directors, officers, agents, service providers, suppliers and employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney fees and court costs, made by any third party due to, relating to, or arising out of Content you submit, post or make available through the Site, your use of the Site, your violation of the Terms, your breach of any of the representations and warranties herein, or your violation of any rights of others.
13. Membership and Account Responsibility
Membership on the Site is available to anyone 13 years of age or older who truthfully and accurately provides all required information (including a legitimate email address) and obtains a unique username and password. The Site is not intended as a service for children and therefore persons under the age of 13 may not become a member. If you are under the age of 18, you represent and warrant that you have the permission of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to access and use the Site. You must be a member in order to post messages in the community forum.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password. You agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security. You also agree to exit from your account at the end of each session. We will not be responsible for any loss or damage that may result if you fail to comply with these requirements. Furthermore, you are strongly advised to maintain and protect your privacy by choosing carefully what personally identifiable information you include in Content you post on the Site.
14. Reporting Content Violations
If you believe that any Content shown or transmitted through the Site violates these Terms or your intellectual property rights have been violated, you can report such violation via our contact form.
In the case of an intellectual property violation, please provide the following information:
A description of the intellectual property you claim has been infringed;
Identify the material on the Site that you claim is infringing with enough detail so we may locate it on the Site;
A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the intellectual property owner, its agent, or the law;
A statement by you declaring under penalty of perjury that 1) the above information in your notice is accurate and 2) that you are the owner of the intellectual property interest involved or that you are authorized to act on behalf of that owner;
Your address, telephone number, and email address where we can contact you; and your physical or electronic signature.
It is often difficult to determine if your intellectual property rights have been violated. We may request additional information before we remove allegedly infringing material. If a dispute arises as to the correct owner of the rights in question, we reserve the right to remove both parties' Content.
15. General Information
The Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and What the Tech and govern your use of the Site, superseding any prior agreements between you and What the Tech. The Terms and the relationship between you and What the Tech shall be governed by the laws of the State of North Dakota without regard to any conflict of law provisions. You and What the Tech agree to exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in the County of Cass, North Dakota for the purpose of adjudicating any dispute arising out of or relating to this Agreement. The failure of What the Tech to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the Terms is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court shall endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Terms remain in full force and effect. You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of the Site or the Terms must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.