This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Graphics tend to be delayed

22 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey Doug, Yeah. I definitely agree about choosing the reformat over the PC Restore; so, I am currently reformatting it. However, at 60% of the full reformat, it just stops. It always does this. And I usually have to resort to quick reformatting it. Is there anything I can about this? Also, lol I understand we're way past talking about networking. If this post needs to go in another section, I will completely understand. Sincerely, eharri2
Hey Doug, I hate to sound stupid, but how do I initiate the Recovery Console or CheckDisk from my Operating System cd? The only reason why I ask is because I just deleted everything on that hard drive through the Windows XP OS Setup cd. I just want to make sure that my hard drive isn't the problem. Sincerely, eharri2
Hi eharri2,

Here are the instructions – if you have the XP installation CD.
If you do not have the installation CD and are relying upon Dell's proprietary PC Restore (by Symantec) then there still should be a method for entering the CHKDSK /r once in Recovery Console. I'll do some more reading and perhaps you can tell us if you have the CD, and/or go ahead with initiating PC Rstore through the first few steps to see if you get a Command Prompt (blinking cursor) where you can type CHKDSK /r

_________________________-

I'm concerned that you might have "gotten ahead of yourself" with the process.
But still would benefit from knowing:
  • can you still boot the machine into SAFE Mode?
  • How about SAFE Mode with Command Prompt?

If either of those are available, then I recommend you Run CHKDSK /r "before" initiating the PC Restore process.

_______________-

My thought here, is that your problem "sounds like" you may have some bad-sectors on the Hard Drive that could be recovered or repaired via CHKDSK /r

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp).

  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

    chkdsk /r

  • Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Hey Doug, I tried to boot from Recovery Console but was unable to do anything there. It just brought me to DOS. When I was in DOS, i tried to run CHKDSK, and it said there no drive to check. So, I went ahead and began fully reformatting it, and now I'm stuck on 60%. I've been stuck on it for the 10 minutes, which is odd because I've got 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a 1.6ghz processor, so reformatting my computer shouldn't take that long, right? Lol I just wanna be able to fully reformat my computer for a change. Sincerely, eharri2
Hey Doug, I ran the CheckDisk command from the Recovery Console and it gave the following response: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." Sincerely, eharri2
Hi eharri2 Another option available, is to download a HD diagnostic and repair tool from the HD manufacturers homepage. They usually have the ability to be accessed on boot. Burn it to a disc, CD or DvD. Then try run it. Another possibility, is that the format seems like it is stuck on 60%. Its possible if you have bad sectors on your HD, that the format is trying to repair them, which is time-comsuming. If the front LED still flashes and the CD or HD still spins, I would give it some time. I have seen partition formats take as long as 6 hours on a 120GB HD(!). But if you can run the CHKDSK command, that would be preferable. (Remember there is a space before the slash ( / )) Regards Abydos
I also concur with Abydos. I've seen even supposedly healthy drives take an hour or more to format. 10 minutes is hardly a test. Still I do appreciate your frustration with this entire matter. You have demonstrated good patience and diligence. Best Regards
Hey Doug and Abydos, I tried running the CHKDSK command with the /f parameter, and it said:"The parameter is not valid. Try /? for help." Also, I checked the Toshiba site for a diagnostic or repair tool for my hard drive, and I couldn't find anything on there that was relative. I guess I'll have to do it the long way and just sit it out. I mean, as long as the bad sectors are cured, I'm fine with that. It's a 90 GB Serial ATA hard drive, so I'm not sure how long to expect until I should start worrying on a more concerned level. Sincerely, eharri2
eharri2, Let's define what the issue is and what is at stake… 1. Are you concerned about retrieving/saving documents and data? (I doubt that you are since you initiated "format".) 2. Is your PC Restore located on a partitioned portion of the same HD that is presently disfunctional? If you are at all hopeful of recovering any data, then you should slave that HD to another known good machine and copy/paste any documents and data. __________________________ If you PC Restore is located on a partitioned portion of the same faulty HD, then I do not know how to access the PC Restore, if for instance you decided to obtain a new HD upon which to install your operating system. I think you might be able to find out what options you have with regard to PC Restore by contacting Dell. They may be able to provide an installation CD at modest cost.
Hey Doug, No worries about the OS installation CD. I already have a Windows XP Home Edition Installation CD that came with my Dell Laptop as soon as I bought it as well as the drivers cd to install all the necessary drivers. That's how I've been able to reformat my computer so many times. The data that I need is safely stored on a network drive at the university that I attend, so that's definitely safeguarded. Nothing is really at stake here. My documents are all safely saved on a network drive at the university. I'm more concerned about fully fixing my hard drive and completely erasing any files on there. From what I learned during all this, the quick reformat option erases the File Allocation Table and the indexes, but doesn't completely erase the file and data on the hard drive making data recovery very easy. Furthermore, PC Restore that Dell offers uses the same method of formatting thereby increasing my risk of having the same initial problems. Again, I could be wrong, but from what I read, fully formatting is the safest method of erasing any files or data on the hard drive as well as correcting any bad sectors that could be on the hard drive, which is actually what you told me not too long ago :) Sincerely, eharri2
…………………………………….:)…:) …………………………………:)………..:) ……………………………… :)………….. :) …………………………….. :)……………. :) ………………………………. :)…… ….. :) ………………………………. …:)………:) …………………………………… .:)..:) Well then. It seems that we've come full circle.
Hey Doug, It seems like my problems aren't over. I finished fully reformatting the hard drive this morning, and when I went to finish installation of Windows XP on the hard drive, symptoms of the bad sector(s) of the hard drive began manifesting itself again, and the hard drive began going really slow. I ran the Recovery Console Checkdisk under the /p parameter and nothing showed. After that I ran the Checkdisk under the /r parameter, which is still going on. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Sincerely eharri2

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI