I've just bought a Buffalo Drive station USB hard drive 1TB. If I leave it connected the computer won't boot. I've been into BIOS and changed to boot from hard drive C.
It boots fine if the usb is disconnected but the hard drive is not seen when the usb is reconnected nor does it switch off when the computer does or function correctly.
The hard drive is recognized if I connect usb and power after the computer boots up and it functions correctly
Device manager gives code 10 to the problem when the usb is connected retrospectively and power left on
A Dell dimension 4600 with XP service pack 3
All ideas welcome
Thanks
System
Service control manager 7000 or Service control manager 7009
Application
Application Hang 1002
Application error 1000
Checked Device manager no exclamation marks.
I downloaded new updates from Dell for BIOS it seems to start up sweet now at least so far so good.
Thanks for the help John
Application: Error 08 / 2 / 09 20 : 07:56 Automatic update Scheduler events 101 System
Dialog Box : This service is not authorized to start .
System
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7000
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7009
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7000
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7000
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7009
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7000
7000
The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
or
7009
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler service to connect.
Clear as mud to me John although it makes a kind of sense.
I rebooted again to get the time precise
Ed
Thanks for putting me on the right track John. I've sorted the live update issue (Norton) ages old. I now need to investigate the service control manager as the computer hangs doesn't close down but at least the hardware now connects. System restore?
Hi John
The two nearest to it are plug and play which is set to automatic and universal plug and play which is set to manual.No General Purpose USB Driver though. It has booted up ok some times but its not consistent.