This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Opening a .ROM file

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear Person:….Awhile back , my computer crashed , hard drive went bad…
Before it crashed I copied numerous TV service manuals to 3 CD s…..
Now with a new hard drive & OS ( WinXP PRO) , I can not open those manuals….
When I try to open the file I get a message saying "Windows can not open this file"…
There is a link that takes me to the MS webpage…
Once there I'm told that it is a .ROM file & more links that do NOT open the files…
I have 7-Zip & JZip that will not open them either…
I have "Googled" .ROM & all I get are "Registry Cleaners , Boosters , & Repair " (RegCure , etc) programs… :pullhair:

I'm not a computer expert , so please , I will NOT mess with ANY registry keys, etc…
I just need a program or ?? that will open these files….

THANK you VERY much in advance of your anticipated help….
Hi RonM We really need to know the name of the file (including its 3 letter suffix,)….. In the meantime try renaming one of the files and ending it with the 3 letter suffix .pdf and see how you go.. Copy it from CD to your desktop first. ( you can always rename it later, back to what it was!) If you right click on the file and select properties you may be able to find out further details of the file that would be useful to us and enable us to assist you further. Regards paws
To see what the real file extension is, please do the following:

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Click Apply and OK

Now post the file extension of the files you saved on CD. I would expect them to be .pdf.
:pullhair: Hi paws & Ztruker: Good to see ya both again…. Sorry about the delayed reply…I keep forgetting that WTT sends a reply to HotMail & not my regular mailbox…
In reply:
1st, paws:

We really need to know the name of the file (including its 3 letter suffix,

The last time I was able to check the file type , it was .ROM…Can't now , will explain in a sec…

Copy it from CD to your desktop first.

When I click on the icon , the feature "Send to" does not show up as on other items…& when I click on "Copy" nothing happens…More info later….
2nd Ztruker:
After following your advice , I got for a file type : "CDFS" A new type…

I would expect them to be .pdf.

If the were pdf , they would be opened & I wouldn't be here…. :o
BOTH:
When I first originaly opened the CD , I got a list of the manuals on the CD…
I STUPIDLY allowed Roxio to install…Since then all I get is what you see in the attachment….Clicking on either icon does not open the files…
[attachment removed]
In the 2nd attachment is the graphic I get for an update…When I go to the webpage , it's for movies , photos etc , & not files & NO updates…
[attachment removed]
After I uninstall the Roxio , I still get the same results…
Ron, CDFS is a File System, like FAT, FAT32 or NTFS, it is not a file type like DOC or PDF. It stands for CD File System. You said you copied the manuals to CD. Is this a CDRW and not a CDR? Did you just drag and drop them there? If so, I believe you need some kind of packet writing software like Roxios DirectCD or Neros INCD installed. Perhaps that is what the Roxio error screen was trying to tell you in it's not so clear message. You could try reinstalling Roxio and make sure DirectCD is installed and active.
Ztruker: Thanks for explaining "CDFS" & about file systems..I don't know & really don't want to know how they work…Just how to use them…
It IS CDRW using CD-RW CD's…They were copied using "Drag & Drop"….
Roxio gives my computer problems…I can NOT find the updates reccomended at their website to fix the program…They want me to buy their program instead….
Please magnify the attachment (the large one) in an earlier post for the link & more info…

In the smaller attachment , there's an icon for "udfrinst.exe"….That appeared after I let Roxio install…Was NOT there before…When I right click that icon , I get the option to delete it…I would like to delete it to see if my manual folders re-appear , BUT , I'm afraid to in fear of also losing those folders…

I would like to try "Neros INCD"……Does that work like Adobe Reader & open files / folders ?? I'm trying to get these files off the CD & read them…They ARE already written on the CD..(I think !!)

Ztruker Thanks …. :)
Neros INCD works like Roxios DirectCD, it allows you to use a CDRW as a large floppy disk basically.

What version of Roxio did you have installed? I have V10 and like it. I got it at BestBuy a while back for $19 on sale. Was previously using V7 with an update to V7.01. Both versions worked okay with my XP Pro + SP3 system.

I did not install DirectCD as it has always caused stability problems when I tried it. Other folks use it and have no problems at all so it must depend on the hardware/software mix on your computer.

All I can suggest is to try reinstalling the copy of Roxio you have and see if it will work long enough for you to get your data off the CDs, or find a friend who has it installed and see if they can get the data for you.

Also, the link in the Roxio error message took me to a site where they wanted me to buy V9, so I guess the link is no longer valid.
Ztruker: I don't know which version of Roxio I have…I did NOT install it !! I believe it came on the Wind XP Pro CD…When this computer crashed , I bought the official Windows CD & installed it…When I try to uninstall Roxio from add/remove it does so…BUT when I try to open the files , it magically re-appears…DAM !! …Talk about a bad penny !!!

The reason I don't use it is because it causes problems on my computer…

Thanks for your efforts…. :thumbup:
Ron, give Revo Uninstaller a try. Does a pretty good job of cleaning up apps that don't seem to want to go away, if there uninstaller is still around. I just used it on a XP Home computer that kept trying to install Roxio 5, even though I did not have a CD for it. Reveo got rid of it completely. Worth a try.
Ztruker:
I downloaded & installed "Revo"…All can say is;.. WHAT an AWESOME program that is…
IT found about 24 junk files that I have no clue as to what they are , but I got rid of them anyway…
It's going to take me awhile to learn how to use it…
When I ran the "Uninstaller" , Roxio did not appear…
Which leads me to conclude that Roxio is on the CD , & not part of Windows…Would that be a correct statement ??
If that's the case , then the files (manuals) are not there because when I insert the CD , the only thing I get is that detested "UDF" graphic…
I've pretty much given this up as a lost cause…
Ztruker:…I REALLY like "Revo"…..THANK you VERY much…
Ron, you're welcome, but the thanks goes to Tallin since that is where I got the tip about Revo in the first place. I agree, it is an excellent program. Do you have the Roxio installation CD? If so, it might be worth reinstalling it (after creating a new System Restore point) to see if that will allow you to access the data saved on CD. If not or you're not willing to do this, do you have any friends who have Roxio or Nero isntalled? If so, they may be able to read the CDs and copy them to standard CDRs for you.
Ztruker: You seem like a nice guy , but I need to make this PERFECTLY clear…
I do NOT like Roxio…Period…It causes my computer probs…I downloaded the program & found the update for free…It did NOT work…I will NOT pay for a CD of it…(can't )

do you have any friends who have Roxio or Nero installed?

I have only 1 friend (my landlord) who has a computer…He is currently in the hospital (he's going to be OK) & to my knowledge he does not have either program installed….
Is there a "free" download version of Nero available ??…That'll be my last shot before I formally give this up as a lost cause…

Thank you , sir …… :)
Ron, understand. I was just suggesting this as a temporary measure until you had your data back. If you don't want to go that route that's okay.

I did find this link for a Nero - Trial Version. Perhaps give it a try., It says it requires Microsoft .NET 3.0 so you would have to download and install that as well.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI