This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

msie 7 keeps closing

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello My msie 7 Explorer keeps shutting down and below is the information I could salvage. I am not techy enough to diagnose the Microsoft site information. When it happened I copied some information; Int explorer has encounterted a problem and needs to close -sorry for the inconvenince and your information may be lost. Plese send error report. I opened the messge which said,"Error signature - App Name:ieexplore.eve AppVerr:7.0.6000.1672 Mod name:NTdll.dll Question, please; If I remove Eplorer 7 in add/remove, how will I be able to get online again to download it all over again? Is any version of msie in my operating system disk or somewhere so I can get on line to redownload msie7? Thank you

Question, please; If I remove Eplorer 7 in add/remove, how will I be able to get online again to download it all over again?


Hi Grampy Pete

Once you uninstall IE7, it will revert back to IE6.
As described in the link.

The error Mod name:NTdll.dll may indicate other things than just IE7 being at fault.
But its a good place to start if you got the error while using IE7.

Regards Abydos
It is good to know about the explorer 6 being there afer uninstalling 7. I like to share info so; to date there have been no error messages with the explorer add-ons disabled. I will now resume using add-ons until I locate the culprit the disable it. Thank you for the helpful referral you posted.
Hi again You're welcome. :thumbup: Good to hear you found it was a addon. Shouldn't take long to locate. You just post ahead if you need a hand with anything. Regards Abydos
Helo I would like to ask you for a bit more. I have one add-on disabled(Mcafee scipt) and will keep it as is for a while then enable another for a while and so on…. until explorer closes. When I have located the bad add-on, should I just keep it disabled or, should I try to determine the program it is related to and remove that progrm from add/remove? After removing it, I then would reinstall it. Thank you for your help
Hi Grampy Pete

Well, depending on the numbers of addons you have, you could start
with 50% of them, first half for example. Then you know if it should be found
in the first or second half of the bunch.

Once that is established, disable them one at a time, until you no longer can
reproduce the error. The last one disabled will then be the culprit.

Enable the rest, and see how you go. It is possible, that a addon will function
well enough alone, but not in conjunction with others. But there are no way to
know this, except try, try, and then try again B)

Keep the disabled addon, for the time being, installed in your browser. Then look it
up via google or via Mozilla's forums. There may be work-arounds, and maybe clues
as to what programs it can't get along with.

Hope this answer your question.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that if you have browser theme's installed, those should be tried disabled as well.

Regards Abydos

Hi Abydos
I will find it,hopefully, and be back to let you know how it worked out before getting in trouble. :wavey:
Thank you


No problem, and I am sure you'll find it one way or another :thumbup:

Regards Abydos
Hi Abydos All was disabled. I began enabling one for about for about 1/2 hour then another etc. On the third item I enabled, the error message occured as before. The add-on is = JQSIEstart detector/mplc…..( not verified)Sun Microsyst I disabled it again and will surf for 1/2 hour to see if it happens again. This is so coincidental as I just checked my email and there you were. Talk soon.
Go into msconfig, Services tab and disable Jave Quick Starter. That should get rid of the JQSIE thing you are having problems with. I don't know why Sun foisted the Java Quick Starter on us but it's a pain in the butt.
Hi Ztrucker I dreaded the moment I had to fess up I made another goof but… The JQSIE was not what I meant to type in as the bad add-on. The next line down is; name = Shockwave Flash Object, publisher = Adobe systems Inc, Status = disabled. Type = Active X Control. I have the 7 or 8 add-ons enabled with this Shockwave disabled. I am waiting to see if it causes the error message I reported in the earlier post. To date there is no error with just Shockwave diabled. I am patiently waiting and if there is no message in a while, I think I can conclude that this is it. I planned on coming back to see what I should if Shockwave is the culprit. Thank you for writing. :blush:
Hi Grampy Pete

If it is Adobe Shockwave. It should be enough to download a new version
to your desktop. Close down your browser(s) and install the replacement.
It will overwrite previous installment.

A thing to consider, as it might seem to relate to the shockwave player. Is
your Java up to date? It should either be version 6. update 11 or 12.
Update 11 is just as secure as 12. Update 12 doesn't bring anything new
security wise, but does contain some bug repairs. So go for that one if
needed.

Download link to Shockwave: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

Regards Abydos
Hi Abydos Should I enable Shockwave before I download as you suggest? My Java is ver 11 so at least that is good. I'll let you all know the results Thank you.
Hi Grampy.. Its good to see you around. :) Well, sort of, seems how that means you must be having problems. :) You've found the secret to the vast majority of IE problems. I can safely say, nearly all problems encountered while using IE is a result of bad add-ons. My general suggestion/practice (in other words, I do this ALWAYS when working on other people's PCs) is first to go into add/remove programs and uninstall all versions of adobe flashplayer, adobe shockwave, Java, and ALL toolbars. I then make sure I am running IE7, and I go into internet options -> advanced -> and click "RESET." This disables all leftover add-ons and resets internet explorer to default settings. Restart the browser then I go back to adobe.com and install Adobe Flashplayer, and then to Java.com and install the latest version of Java being sure to uncheck the option to install the google toolbar, and the MSN toolbar. (These companies make me want to puke with all their toolbar junk they try to slip in with everything you download now a days) This is all you need to have installed for add-ons to have a fast, reliable web surfing experience. Enjoy. :)
Nice of you to write Apple. You are so right about these new 'impovements' that seem to do more harm than good, at least for non techs like me. I kept trying to locate bad add-ons only for the problem to persist. Finally, I removed msie 7 and reinstalled it and have had no trouble -can you hear me knocking on wood? Your information was not wasted because I do understand what youdo and why. Thank you for that. It is discouraging for those who want to 'try' things in order to learn about the pc when issues arise no fault of your own and you find yourself in trouble. I have been playing it safe but that is boring. I think that, even doing the minimum tinkering to learn there will be more issues, BUT, thank goodness there is this forum to come to for help. Everyone here is so courteous and capable, yourself icluded. Thank you for writing.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI