Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91911 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Your First Interest in Technology

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew McAlister

Matthew McAlister

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Anything dealing with technology, my friends, girls, music, time-to-myself, INTERNET, reading(occassionally), Microsoft Corp.; Apple Inc.; Linux. School, and branching out and trying new things.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

When and at what age did you begin to notice that you had and interest in technology? And when and at what age did you get your first computer or device that hightened your interests? I know for myself, it was when I was around 6 years old I started becoming interested in technology. And I got my Playstation when I was also 6. That's what sparked my interest along with my uncle demonstrating things to me on his Windows 98 and letting me play games on it. Shortly after he gave me his 98 in 2003. And thats when it all began.
ERROR 404 NOT FOUND (or is it...)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:12 PM

:welcome: Matthew,

When I was 6 years old there were no playstations. :rofl:

We hope you enjoy this forum and all there is to read and learn here. Have you seen this article as for you it would be interesting reading.

Tell us about your current system and what you are doing with your interest in technology these days.

kind regards,

#3 Konfucide

Konfucide

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Marko... whew! When i was 8, i am still deprived to the things called technology. My parents and guardians believe that it is the work of the devil since it is addictive. Everything started when we played ms-dos games in our computer lab by hacking our computer teacher's password when i was in high school.

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

MS-DOS games..., a computer lab..., teachers computer..., in High School?? MS-DOS 1.0 wasn't even released until August 12, 1981. There was no such thing as a computer lab, let alone a teacher with a computer. There was a computer lab at the University, but I suspect that it was different than what you are thinking of. :rofl:

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

Topics are closed after 5 days without response
unite_blue_zpsbfd3cd98.png

#5 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hmmm, Tough question. First taste of technology, were it really began to have an interest, was back in the days with Amstrad's and Spectrum's (The one with rubber buttons). Not long after I got my first Comodore64, and later on the Comodore128 which of course ended in a Amiga. But my first real PC, hmmm. Can't exactly remember the year (I think it was around '86 or '87), but it was a 33MhZ 386 machine, "really fast" hehe B) Then I just kept going. For many years I used the machines to play on, and only that. It wasn't until some years ago, I began to delve into the far corners of a PC, and the more intricate workings. So, something like programming and the like, I have never done. And likely ever won't, as it doesn't hold my interest. Still got tons to learn and with the rate they are spitting out OS's and new hardware, I don't think I've ever truly will be done :D

Edited by Abydos, 29 January 2009 - 04:19 PM.

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#6 Konfucide

Konfucide

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

MS-DOS games..., a computer lab..., teachers computer..., in High School?? MS-DOS 1.0 wasn't even released until August 12, 1981. There was no such thing as a computer lab, let alone a teacher with a computer. There was a computer lab at the University, but I suspect that it was different than what you are thinking of. :rofl:

:pullhair: a room full of computers. that i may say.

ms-dos games? oh well, our teacher let us guess some ascii codes to access files, at least :unsure: i think its a game for me...

i graduated from highschool in 2000.

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

@Konfucide, I had a sneaky suspicion that I might have a few years on you. B)

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

Topics are closed after 5 days without response
unite_blue_zpsbfd3cd98.png

#8 Konfucide

Konfucide

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

Tomk! gotcha! ^_^ My nephew is lucky, i don't regard technologies to be the work of the devil. he's enjoying a handheld during his free time. He even ask me for some money in doing research on the net. my curiosity in digging deeper in my pc is when my unit got infected by rontokbro. from then on, i was really eager to learn to protect and to treat infected pc.

Edited by Konfucide, 29 January 2009 - 09:07 PM.

#9 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

@Konfucide, TomK is the WTT clown, but you would have guessed that by now, :thumbup:

#10 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Classroom Teacher
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

MS-DOS games..., a computer lab..., teachers computer..., in High School??

Ahh yes High School...the closest we had to a computer was a slide rule. Well at least it had a cursor.

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation Posted Image
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Posted Image

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

Yes, yes, yes, we all have age on our side at one point. I remember having an apple in my back pocket at High School, though that was for lunch. :rofl: The closest to an Apple computer was the block on the table in the library that everyone would line up for at lunch time, if I recall correctly they called it an Apple IIe, and the wait was almost worth it, back then.
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#12 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:34 AM

I believe my first touch was somewhere around the 6-10 mark (a bit vague I know). My mum brought a computer home from work to some extra work at home for a couple of days. Myself and my brother spent those two days arguing over who got to use the incredible 'word processor' while she was making dinner. Around 10-ish I remember being in primary school and there was an old banger in the classroom that took around 10 minutes to load an age-old MS Word. For some reason, I was delegated as the "computer guy" and was told to do the technical tasks such as opening this word processor and once I remember having to show the Teacher how to turn the computer on (funnily enough the power switch at the wall needs to be on before you can use it). I don't know where this role came from since the only other experience with computers I had was from the above anecdote but it seemed to stick and from it spawned my genuine interest that led to me eventually starting the Computer Science degree I am on now.

Proud Graduate of the TC/WTT Classroom

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

#13 ABC's

ABC's

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

I first started getting interested in technology at the age 10, when my friend (or rather my hated nemesis) ransommed my hard drive and started spamming my computer. It eventually turned it to be something else, but the damage was done.

#14 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

:welcome: ABC's Glad to see you join us and post. Stay awhile, as there is lots to read and learn here. Enjoy the forum. kind regards,

#15 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &cats

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

I had my first excitement over technology when our TV went out and my father took some tubes to the 7-11 to test them in the machine. He bought one tube there and put all of the tubes back in to the TV and got knocked across the room from the high voltage stored in a capacitor. But the TV worked after he put all of the tubes back in. I think that I was 6 or 7.

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)