Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91867 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Lags

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 b00n

b00n

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hey guys. My computer generally runs quite good. A couple days ago, I believe it was Tuesday, at around 6 or 7 PM my computer seemed to have gone crazy with the internet. I was playing World of Warcraft (so what, its fun! =D), and I kept getting kicked off or DC'd. I didn't think it was an internet problem at first, because it was not lagging, just kicking me off of my character. I was currently in a raid, so I didn't have much time to go change my password. I thought it may have been a Trojan that had gotten my account and password and someone was trying to log on my account. So, I just would re-log in, and kick whoever it was off in turn. Anyway, we finished several minutes later, and I went to change my password. Easy enough, I changed it, and logged back in. But, the DC's continued. The DC'ing only lasted for about 10-15 minutes. Now, its just some choppy lag where you can't move. The lag is not limited to World of Warcraft. I put in several other games that had multiplayer internet and each lag a tremendous amount. All of the people that I know in my general area are having the same problem, so I figured I would rule out the problem being my computer or router or whatnot. Each of them were getting disconnected and continue to have some incredible lag. I know very little when it comes to this, but simply because several other people I know within 10 minutes of me are having the same problems I don't think it is my computer. Before I spoke to some of my friends, basically imidiatly after I changed my password, I ran a spyware and adaware that I got from this site, from a really nice post that described how to do things that may help before posting a problem. But, nothing came up besides some cookie thing, which I deleted. It's not just games that lag. Any website lags as well. I can't get Youtube videos to play and other sites are just slow as hell to get to. So, does anyone have any advice? Could it be my computer? If it's not, or a combination, should I call someone or wait it out? I'm not in any rush, but I would enjoy having regular internet back. My friend plays games quite often, and told me that this had happened once before where the internet just died. It had been fixed within a couple days.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hey guys. My computer generally runs quite good. A couple days ago, I believe it was Tuesday, at around 6 or 7 PM my computer seemed to have gone crazy with the internet. I was playing World of Warcraft (so what, its fun! =D), and I kept getting kicked off or DC'd. I didn't think it was an internet problem at first, because it was not lagging, just kicking me off of my character. I was currently in a raid, so I didn't have much time to go change my password. I thought it may have been a Trojan that had gotten my account and password and someone was trying to log on my account. So, I just would re-log in, and kick whoever it was off in turn. Anyway, we finished several minutes later, and I went to change my password.

Easy enough, I changed it, and logged back in. But, the DC's continued. The DC'ing only lasted for about 10-15 minutes. Now, its just some choppy lag where you can't move. The lag is not limited to World of Warcraft. I put in several other games that had multiplayer internet and each lag a tremendous amount. All of the people that I know in my general area are having the same problem, so I figured I would rule out the problem being my computer or router or whatnot. Each of them were getting disconnected and continue to have some incredible lag.

I know very little when it comes to this, but simply because several other people I know within 10 minutes of me are having the same problems I don't think it is my computer. Before I spoke to some of my friends, basically imidiatly after I changed my password, I ran a spyware and adaware that I got from this site, from a really nice post that described how to do things that may help before posting a problem. But, nothing came up besides some cookie thing, which I deleted.

It's not just games that lag. Any website lags as well. I can't get Youtube videos to play and other sites are just slow as hell to get to.

So, does anyone have any advice? Could it be my computer? If it's not, or a combination, should I call someone or wait it out? I'm not in any rush, but I would enjoy having regular internet back. My friend plays games quite often, and told me that this had happened once before where the internet just died. It had been fixed within a couple days.

Hi b00n :wavey: ,

The people within 10 minute of you. Are they with the same ISP as yourself?
What is your broadband speed?
You can do a speed test here - to see what kind of speed you're getting
Is your ISP aware of the problem? Check their homepage etc.
How old is your router?
What problems exactly are people around you experiencing?

You may find it's an ISP problem and it's fixed within a few days and there is some maintinence going on.

'Bob

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#3 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hi :wavey: Sounds like your ISP is putting some sort of limit on the lines in your area, and probably doing some filtering. Its not uncommon nowadays that some ISP's reward those who have there more expensive lines, giving them more line, and the rest less. Its all coming down to the limited capacity of the web (yes, there is a limit) So those who pay, gets faster lines. Contact your ISP, and ask if thats the case, or maybe they are just experiencing some capacity problems themselves, due to many new accounts in your area. And therefore can't meet the demand, until they can upgrade their grid. Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#4 b00n

b00n

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. Bob, yes they are using Optimum as well. I did the test, and here are the results. Download: 6615 kb/s. Uplaod: 2087 kb/s. ISP: Optimum Online (Cablevision Systems). Server: New York, NY. Ping: 11 ms. Distance: ~50mi. I'm only able to get to the homepage before it stops downloading any further. I'm not sure if they are aware or not. I figure I'd give them a call in a few days if it hasn't cleared up a bit by then to see what is going on. My router has to be within a year old, my brother set that up, so I'm not certain of how everything is. The people around me are having the same problems. My one friend happened to be playing the game at the same time as me and experienced the exact same thing. Quick disconnects for about 15 minutes followed by terrible lag that has persisted not only through video games. There are people though in my area that I have asked, who are not having any problems whatsoever. Which brings me to Abydos. I wasn't aware that is how it worked. Good to know I suppose. I guess that could be the case, concidering some people just a block away are having no difficulties, and then my friends 5-10 minutes away are having my problem. So do you guys think its best to maybe wait a few more days and see what happens, and then give 'em a call to see whats up if it continues?

#5 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

So do you guys think its best to maybe wait a few more days and see what happens, and then give 'em a call to see whats up if it continues?

Hi again :)

Sure you can do that. Altho it wouldn't hurt to give your ISP a call right away. At least so you got that cleared
up, and didn't have to guess and ponder on that. Get the issue questions out of the way so to speak.
Wether it is a case of momentarily low capacity, or if they are indeed doing some filtering. And If they want to
tell you that is B)

Regards Abydos

Abydos

#6 b00n

b00n

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

That sounds like a good idea Abydos. Couldn't hurt to get it out of the way like you say. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning and see what I can find out.

#7 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

That sounds like a good idea Abydos. Couldn't hurt to get it out of the way like you say. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning and see what I can find out.

:thumbup:

Abydos

#8 b00n

b00n

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

I contacted Optimum about an hour ago. I explained the whole problem in as much detail as I could so he would get the picture. He ran a speed test, just like bizarrebob told me to do. Different site, but same thing (www.speakeasy.net/speedtest). He said that everything turned up regular. After a couple more questions, and a couple more answers he said that everything was fine and there was nothing they could do. I don't blame them really, afterall my internet does work, just slowly. Anyway, could this be a problem with the games themselves? Can it be some kind of problem with them sending the information to me? (Note my general terms, I have no idea what I'm talking about)

#9 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

Hi b00n

Well, at least now you know it is not your ISP.

Could you try repair your connection? (This will flush your cache and renew your IP among other things.)

Goto Start--Control Panel
Network connections (I think is the name, got danish XP, so sometimes the various names comes with some hick-ups :blush: )
Right-click your Lan connection, and choose Repair from the right-click menu.
Let it follow through, and see if that corrects the problem.

Regards Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 17 January 2009 - 08:50 AM.

Abydos

#10 chronos83

chronos83

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hi; I joined this forum specifically to post this one thing: It is *not* your computer that is at fault! It is definitely Optimum's service, or whoever they contract out with. My Internet has been extremely slow as well (located in Yorktown Heights, NY, northern Westchester County, NY). I have reset my router and modem, and checked all my computers. It is slow on everything, regardless of Operating System, protocol, or software. There is something seriously wrong with Optimum's service, and the fact they will not say anything means they are either: 1) Ignorant to the problem 2) Lying I am not trying to troll, just saying it as it is. There is a serious deficiency somewhere along the line, and they are not saying anything. I have been experiencing this delay since earlier this week, Tuesday or Wednesday. It is likely that the NY Metro area subscribers are all experiencing this issue to a varying degree, or at least, those in Westchester County. b00n, where are you located?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,806 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

Could be a DNS problem. Try using OpenDNS, see if that improves things. Made a big difference for me when Brighthouse was having DNS problems.

OpenDNS for Windows XP

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#12 b00n

b00n

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

When I get the chance I'll definitely try that Abydos. Ztruker, I'll see what that does as well. I haven't heard of that before, but I'll give it a shot. Chronos83, I don't know too much about computers as I stated somewhere before, but I truly agree with you that it isn't my computer. The simple fact that the problem happened to three other people at the same time on Tuesday says something about the internet, not my computer. There may be many more, I just don't know about them. Rest of the people I know are in CT where I went to school. It did seem that they were either ignorant or lying. When I was talking to the guy, he had mentioned that it was most likely my computer and I should to a spyware/malware sweep etc. It seemed liked he was reading off a list of responses and just kept going down the list. I had mentioned several times that the problem happened to at least three other people at 7pm on Tuesday. I'm sure he heard it because his advice was to tell them to contact Optimum so they could help them like he was helping me. As if he wasn't able to grasp a bigger picture of the situation and downgraded it to a local problem, my computer. Hmm, so maybe it could be a problem in the NY area. I'm in Farmingdale, Nassau County, Long Island. I'm about 40 miles from the city. The three other people that this happened to are in Farmingdale as well.

#13 chronos83

chronos83

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

Accidental triple-post. Can a mod please remove?

Edited by chronos83, 17 January 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#14 chronos83

chronos83

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Accidental triple-post. Can a mod please remove?

Edited by chronos83, 17 January 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#15 chronos83

chronos83

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Could be a DNS problem. Try using OpenDNS, see if that improves things. Made a big difference for me when Brighthouse was having DNS problems.

OpenDNS for Windows XP

Before posting, I tried OpenDNS. No change. :-(

b00n, if you are on the Island east of NYC, and I am 42 miles North of the City, then there is someting funky in the Tri-State area. I am going to wait until Monday, and then try and get someone higher up the chain who is not reading a script off a screen. The important point is that the problem does not reside with the end-user; it is a problem somewhere else. I find it hard to believe they do not know about it (they meaning someone higher up; it is possible that the guy/girl at the desk has no idea what is going on). 99% of the time, it is probably the user's computer. This is that 1% of the time where there is a genuine network issue.

I searched on Google, and this thread was the fifth or six hit, and the only one I could find on the issue. I hope more people from the NY Metro area experiencing this problem will post. I also hope someone from Cablevision/Optimum takes note...

Edited by chronos83, 18 January 2009 - 02:03 AM.