This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Flash drive

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes, please troubleshoot using those ideas. And we can go from there. As far as sanitizing your flash drive, I'm not particularly sure that I am allowed to provide that information to you in this forum. If you have any concerns of transferring malware from one machine to another I would post a thread in the malware forum and ask for their expert opinion on the matter.
Hi
I tried evreything sfc, last known good configurationn etc., and was about to do system restore when I went to my neighbors and was able to put my flash contents on her desktop.
I came home and could do the same thing here.
I tried to send the flash with updated contents to my Docs and it would go to desktop but not to my Documents.
I just spent 2 hurs persuing this and figured I need a lesson in folders.

When I update the flash and 'send to' My Documents I noticed that the new My Documents DOES appear in P + S shared documents but not in my documents. I clicked on folders>restore defaults and tried all over again but to no avail.
I now know it is neither pc but aparently the way I have created or changed My Docs as the accurate info is going to desktop, and shared documents.
I looked at system restore and noticed the date o 12/17/08 was just before I installed ERUNT etc and just during a format And reinstallation of the o.s. I don't know if this is pertinent or just more information.

Do you have any ideas as to how I can rectify the folder jam I am in?
Once again, Thank you
Yes, I have an idea. I came across this information previously when I was researching your problem. I now see that it is probably the case for you.

I have found information on how to restore the locations in the Send To menu.

It looks like your Per User link has been deleted somehow, and now the only send to -> my documents is actually to the shared user account.

Try this:
  • Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press ENTER.
  • When the command prompt window opens type the following two commands:
    • regsvr32 sendmail.dll and press ENTER
    • rundll32 mydocs.dll,PerUserInit and press ENTER
  • Close the command prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.

Now, try to send to -> My Documents.
Hello again I typed in the first command and when I hit enter it said "ok". But, when I typed in 2nd command and hit enter and it gave the following error message RUNDLL error in mydocs.dll Missing entry:PerUserlnit I hope this is only a typo. I had my wife check it thre times and ran it again. Maybe we are 1/2 way there. Thank you
I Googled this second command and in M.S it is PerUser(capital eye)Init
Not l as in lost
It said not to expect a response so after hitting enter a new command line appeared but not the error.
I will now try to see if it works after I reboot and come back as soon as possible to report progress.
I think you saved the day but let me check first.
Do you know where I would be without your help??
Hi, I have tested that the command is correct and functions properly. If you are getting the error that you are getting then it looks like the mydocs.dll is present. And, unless the mydocs.dll is corrupt the PerUserInit should be within the mydocs.dll file. So, my first suspicion is that there is a typo somewhere. Please highlight and copy the command from the previous posting. And then right click and paste it in the command prompt window. See if this fixes your problem.
I rentered the command as I previously explained and both commands were ok. However, the flash still did not go to my docs. Please note, when I open my computer I do not see a folder called My Documents - should I?. I see; 1-Files on pc a-Shared Docs b- Guests Docs c- P + S's Docs(Pete + Sharon) 2-Hard disk drives - C: 3-removable -a dvd and b- disk E: flash Does this help? I'm sorry about this mess, really
Let me just verify something you mentioned. You are saying that when you right-click and send to -> my documents, the files DO appear in the Shared Documents folder? But, you want them to go to the My Documents folder?
Check to see what is listed in your send to folder…

First turn on show hidden files and folders and file extensions:

  • Open My Computer, then click the Tools menu, then click Folder Options.
  • In the Folder Options window, click the View tab.
  • In the Advanced Settings window:
    • Select Show Hidden Files and Folders.
    • Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK, and close the My Computer window.

Now, open My Computer and navigate to C:\Documents and settings\{your_username}\send to.

See if there is a "file" in there called My Documents and identified as a MYDOCS drop target?

If there isn't, please right-click in the send to window, click new -> text document. Rename the new text file to My Documents.mydocs. Ignore the warning about changing the file extension.

Try your send to function now.
I got to my pc just now and was relieved to see you were there. I followed your directions and the folder was there[MYDOCS drop target]. Do you think I should do a system restore? The latest I can go back is 12/17/08 when I did a format and reinstall. The ast resort I guess is format and reinstall the o. s. again. If you have any ideas I am willing to try. Btw, I checked the good pc[desk] and the comment I made about My Docs not appearing in My Computer is not there either so that observation is not pertinent. I cannot copy and paste only drag and drop. I can understand if you are sort of tired out over this issue so don't hesitate to call it a day. I'd like to try if there is anythingelse to try. Thank you once again.
Yeah you've just about got me on this one. At this point, I usually say that it is something probably so obvious we would laugh at it, yet it eludes us because of our distance and communication. I'm not quite finished yet.

Right click your My Documents folder, and click Properties. Under the Target tab, what does it say for Target location?
You poor thing; I can see your pc smoking . :wavey: I think I have manually created My Documents folder unecessarily at some point(s). I've just spent some time experimenting but I keep track of where I have been, for the most part.. I have typed the target for both desktop and laptop below. I noticed if you right click the desktop icon for my documents, you see a folder with three taps; 1-general, 2-sharing and 3- customize. However, if you click start, then right click the My Documents that pops up along with My music, My Pictures etc, + then click properties you see three different tabs; 1-Target, 2-General, 3- Sharing. I chose the latter. The desktop says C:\Documents and Settings\Pete\My Documents The troubled lap top says C:\Documents and Settings\S\My Documents Both have a choice to 1-Restore Default, 2-Move , Find Target I am tempted to go further but I will prudently wait for guidance. I have a feeling you are near the answer b/c you are around the folder issue. let us hope so at least; I enjoy solving these problems as a way to learn but can't speak for you. :-)
Ok.. Can you open My Computer, and navigate to C:\Documents and settings. Tell me what folders are listed there please.

When you send to -> my documents on the laptop. How are you looking to verify if those documents moved into the proper location? Are you clicking start -> my documents, or are you clicking a My Documents shortcut on your desktop?

I believe you mentioned earlier that you did find that the files had moved into the shared documents folder, or the all users documents folder? How did you verify this?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI