Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

source files? how to install & get program up & running?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JaySee

JaySee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have tried to install crafty chess but it does not install on it's own. I uncompress the zip & it gives me a bunch of files that I have know idea how to get running.

Edited by JaySee, 14 January 2009 - 02:16 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

I have tried to install crafty chess but it does not install on it's own. I uncompress the zip & it gives me a bunch of files that I have know idea how to get running.

Most likely you don't have to install the program. Some programs, mainly ones not made by companies or for sale, simply come in a Zip File like you mentioned. All you have to do is unZip the folder and then run the .exe. Look inside the files and find a exe with a name like "craftychess" and try running it.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

It is also possible that you did download just the source files. I have looked for crafty chess, and an executable has been compiled for use:
http://www.webkikr.n...8-win32.exe.zip

As Vectris says, extract the file in the .zip folder and there will be an .exe to run.

Proud Graduate of the TC/WTT Classroom

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

#4 JaySee

JaySee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Hi Vectris & Jpshortstuff. I did download the source codes & there is not an exe in there so I went to the link and got an exe there. I put them all in the same folder & tried to run it. A little screan came up saying that it is unable to open book file & system is SMP, not NUMA. Does that mean it won't work on my system or is there something else I can do?

#5 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

I get the same messages, but it still works after that. Type display at the prompt to display the chessboard.

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

#6 JaySee

JaySee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Ok I did that and it displayed the board. It is suppose to be one of the best open source chess programs out there but it sure looks a bit sparse to me.Thanks for your help.

#7 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

It does appear to be command-line only if that's what you mean. There are a ton of options (type help to see them all), and perhaps "best" was aimed at the AI of the computer.

Posted Image