This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

source files? how to install & get program up & running?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have tried to install crafty chess but it does not install on it's own. I uncompress the zip & it gives me a bunch of files that I have know idea how to get running.

I have tried to install crafty chess but it does not install on it's own. I uncompress the zip & it gives me a bunch of files that I have know idea how to get running.


Most likely you don't have to install the program. Some programs, mainly ones not made by companies or for sale, simply come in a Zip File like you mentioned. All you have to do is unZip the folder and then run the .exe. Look inside the files and find a exe with a name like "craftychess" and try running it.
Hi Vectris & Jpshortstuff. I did download the source codes & there is not an exe in there so I went to the link and got an exe there. I put them all in the same folder & tried to run it. A little screan came up saying that it is unable to open book file & system is SMP, not NUMA. Does that mean it won't work on my system or is there something else I can do?
Ok I did that and it displayed the board. It is suppose to be one of the best open source chess programs out there but it sure looks a bit sparse to me.Thanks for your help.
It does appear to be command-line only if that's what you mean. There are a ton of options (type help to see them all), and perhaps "best" was aimed at the AI of the computer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI