This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Volume?

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey, everyone- it appears that I somehow turned off my volume. No idea how. Nor any idea how to turn it back on. The little volume icon does nothing. Help? Please? Thanks.lol
Hi sinead,

What were you doing, or what did you uninstall or download and install just prior to this happening?

Perhaps this may help.
  • Right click on the volume icon in Quick Launch near the clock
  • Click on 'adjust audio properties'
  • Go through the tabs at the top to troubleshoot your problem
Keep us posted with more information as requested.

Best regards,
Not a clue, as I frequently have it set to mute, as I use the computer a lot at night, and don't want to wake hubby up. I noticed it this morning. I tried what you suggested, but just don't know enough to know if I did the right thing or not. To be sure, I set everything to Window default, and still nothing! Could it have anything to do with when I finished up the Highjackthis? Here's the link:http://forums.whatthetech.com/Multiple_problems_t98460.html I haven't used the speakers in a couple of days, so I don't really know when anything may have happened! Not a lot of help, I know!
Hi sinead,

I read your entire log that TomK helped you with.

Let us check the speakers are plugged in, the sound on/turned up, and the mute button not enabled (no tick in the square) before we get into a bind here.
  • Right click on volume icon near the clock
  • Click on Volume Control and check each one thoroughly
What happened when you tested the Speaker Settings, after you followed my advice in my first post?

Keep us posted, help is at hand, if not from me, from others who will come by.

kind regards,
Ok. No external speakers, so that's not it. Mute is not on, volume is at half level.Ok- first "page", volume- device volume is half way, speaker volume is half way, advanced audio properties are set to moniter speakers. Sounds set to Windows Default. Audio and voice set to Realtek HD ,audio, Hardware set to TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W162D, whatever that is! When I click "properties" on the last one, it says "device is working properly"
Sinead,

Have you restarted your system since checking all the sound settings? If not please do so.

If restarting does not find the sound for you, please do the following:

System Restore Point facility

Go to:

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System Tools
  • System Restore follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started, see how you go.

Note 1

Using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2

It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.
___________________

If system Restore does not cure the sound issue, please follow this procedure:

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

  • Start
  • Run
  • type:sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
  • Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack- SP1 when SP2 or SP3 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC. If you go here you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.

The above scan is most important to replace any corrupt .dll files in your OS

Keep us posted on your progress.

best regards,
Sinnead,

right-click on My Computer - select - Hardware - press - Device Manager
Click - Sound, video and game controllers - to expand the category
Click on - Realtek (sometimes labeled Realtek High Definition Audio)

In Device Status it should say - This Device is working properly.
You can also work through the "Troubleshooter" button to see if that helps identify your problem
If you see a yellow or red warning next to Sound, video and game controllers you may benefit from Reinstalling Realtek Driver
__________________________

Open - Control Panel
Select (doubleclick on) - Sounds and Audio

On the first panel you will see "mute" and "Place volume icon in the taskbar"
Be sure that "mute" is not selected.
Be sure that "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is selected.
Adjust the device volume slider somewhere to the mid-point between low and high
Double-click on Speakers. Be sure that both Right and Left sliders are placed somewhere near the mid-point between low and high

Now double-click on the Volume Icon in the notification area near the clock.
Make sure that none of the panels are set to mute.
Make sure that Master Volume is set somewhere near 3/4 up toward the top of the slider.

Let us know if you have Device Manager - yellow or red warnings and/or if you have difficulty Re-installing your Realtek Driver

Best Regards
Sorry I haven't answered for a couple days. Just getting over a bug myself! Ok, Tallin- I restarted, no luck. Tried the system restore, i can only go back to Jan. 14, for some reason. Does me no good :), I tried the Windows SFC, but I don't have Windows Proffesional. I should have mentioned, it's Windows XP Media Center 2005. I tried anyway, wouldn't accept the disc, so I cancelled just in case something went wrong. Until I hear from you, I'm not too comfortable with trying this. Doug, I did everything you suggested, and it shows everything should be working! I'm at a total loss!
Hi Sinead,

I was sorry to read you had not been well. I hope you are fine and dandy when you read this post.

Regarding your System Restore and mine for that matter. Up until yesterday I advised members to only have 1% 1095MB of space alloted to their system restore file. However I now find this is not enough, not for me running Windows XP/SP3. I had cause to make a restore point before correcting an issue on this PC, only then did I find not enough restore points evident, so I have now increased my space to 3% 1991MB. To do this please go to:

  • Right Click My Computer on your desktop
  • Properties
  • System Restore
  • highlight C:\Drive
  • Settings
  • Enable the slider to 3% 1991MB as near as you can
For the absence of your sound - Are your Windows Updates current? I did some research for you and found that you need KB900325 here. Maybe it is missing from your updates, or they are not current at this point in time. Go here to make sure they are up to date.

Here is another suggestion that may help, but please read the information thoroughly as quoted below in text from the article contained in the link

NOTE: These steps should only be used as a last resort, so please make sure to try the other workarounds that I have documented before trying these steps.

As pointed out by you in your third post you do not have external speakers, and have checked everything else advised in earlier posts of attempted assistance, so I am hoping information in this post may help to cure your lack of sound.

Keep us posted.

kind regards,
Rollup 2 installed from your first link, no problem with that(thanks :)), did all the updates, but volume is still not working! Do you think it would help/hurt if I uninstall then reinstall Realtek audio?
Hi Sinnead

Seeing that you use Realtek audio (same as I do)
I was wondering if your Audio I/O (Input / output) was
configured correctly…?

Go to your control-panel and open the Realtek HD Audio Configuration
Find the tab named Audio I/O
See if your speakers is set to either front or back.
Adjust accordingly if needed.

If you have front plugins, sometimes it helps to open as above,
then plug your speakers in at the front. Now you should see Realtek
ask if that is what you want etc. Reboot and reverse, that is, plug in to
the back once again, still with your Realtek open.

Hopefully it is something that trivial :blush:

Regards Abydos
Hi sinead,

Do you think it would help/hurt if I uninstall then reinstall Realtek audio?

No I do not, it cannot hurt as you have no sound, so uninstalling and reinstalling is a good thought especially if Abydos's advice does not bring your sound back. Try Abydos's suggestion first though.

kind regards,
:pullhair: :rofl: You are not going to believe this! Abydos, I went into the Realtek, like you suggested, and noticed the three plug ins listed for audio in, audio out, and mike. Well, I remembered about a week ago, my ferrets were wrestling in behind the computer desk, and a plug popped out, so I popped it back in. One mistake. I have to lean over, almost upside down to do it. I plugged it into the wrong plugin :smack: . And you can guess which plug it was. I can't even believe it! When I checked earlier, everything was plugged in, so I thought nothing of it. :blush: Oh, well- thanks for all your help! And I guess the best thing to do is check to make sure everything is in the right place, first! :lol:

:pullhair: :rofl: You are not going to believe this! Abydos, I went into the Realtek, like you suggested, and noticed the three plug ins listed for audio in, audio out, and mike. Well, I remembered about a week ago, my ferrets were wrestling in behind the computer desk, and a plug popped out, so I popped it back in. One mistake. I have to lean over, almost upside down to do it. I plugged it into the wrong plugin :smack: . And you can guess which plug it was. I can't even believe it! When I checked earlier, everything was plugged in, so I thought nothing of it. :blush: Oh, well- thanks for all your help! And I guess the best thing to do is check to make sure everything is in the right place, first! :lol:


:rofl:

Well, there you go :thumbup:
You might wanna get a straight-jacket to those nosy rodents (not rodents, i know!)
next time you let them near the PC :rofl: (I love Ferrets by the way, Great funny creatures :P )

Regards Abydos

[You might wanna get a straight-jacket to those nosy rodents
next time you let them near the PC :rofl: (I love Ferrets by the way, Great funny creatures :P )

Regards Abydos


Believe me- some days, it is very tempting :pullhair: :lol: And thanks again!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI