Yes, I did, so far so good, but with AVG it was sporadic. We can continue with the other stuff you were wanting and if it acts up within that time, I will let you know.
As of right now, it seems fine. My online game would also need some vigorous testing as it would slow to a crawl at times for no apparent reason (task manager showing nothing using CPU) but, I don't play as much as I used to. I will try to get a few hours in this weekend and see how that works out.
-Rappy
Ok.. Great.
If we are on the same page, then when you open MSCONFIG the services tab has everything enabled, and the STARTUP tab has some items disabled.
Go ahead and look at the items that are disabled in the STARTUP tab. Make a note of their name and location.
There is only three places to look for these startup items so you can permanently delete them. So, first make another restore point so you can recover from any mistakes. Then, after writing down the information on the disabled items in msconfig, go ahead and click the "general" tab, and click "Normal startup." Click, OK, but do not restart yet.
Now, you just need to look in three different places and remove those items that you previously had disabled.
Here are the following three places to look:
1) REGEDIT -> Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
2) REGEDIT -> Navigate to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
3) Start Menu -> Programs -> Startup
In these three sections go ahead and delete the items that were previously disabled. When you are finished, reboot. You will now have permanently removed those un-needed startup items and you will be running in a normal startup mode under msconfig.
Sometimes, if I am not sure about removing a certain item, I will right-click the "run" key in regedit and export it to a file in order to back up the contents before making any changes. It is easier to double-click the file to reimport what I deleted than it is to go through a system restore point.
Done.
Back on Normal setup with about 10 or so startup programs. A few additional ones installed with my new video card and I'm not sure if they slow me down much (or if I even really need them), doesn't seem like.
-Rappy
I think I finally found a correlation… OE -> FF only seems to lag when the web camera is actively running…
Although I am not sure how that can be alleviated.
Still awaiting a reply from ya… =)
-Rappy
I didn't know you were awaiting any replies? I thought the mission was accomplished.
As far as I know, you are running in normal boot mode, the system is booting quickly and responding well, and OE -> FF is functioning properly.
This is the first I heard of anymore problems with the links in OE. You appear to have narrowed it down and that is good. Early on I suggested there was an "anomaly" with the webcam drivers.
My only suggestion is to unplug the webcam, completely uninstall any webcam software, reboot, download and install the newest webcam software/drivers from the manufacturer's website, and plug the webcam back in.
If you are prone to unplugging and replugging the webcam into multiple USB ports on your PC then it could be residual (hidden/non-present device) entries in device manager causing an issue also.
Ok, well how would I track that down? My camera was originally hooked up in the back of my PC, then it all of a sudden stopped running, and I switched it to the front. It was in one when I installed the software again, and failed to recognize, then was installed again on the one it is in now.
Also, I have been having a problem lately where I boot up with sound, but after running the camera, and/or media player, the system tells me I don't have an audio device installed. As well as when the camera is running, odd things happen with the sound.
I would be glad to work with you on suggestions to track down this problem as soon as you can be available.
-Rappy
P.S. Sorry if I seem troublesome, I just have no clue what's going on lately.
If you are prone to unplugging and replugging the webcam into multiple USB ports on your PC then it could be residual (hidden/non-present device) entries in device manager causing an issue also.
I was referring to that. I will uninstall and reinstall tonight, if I can find the drivers again.
That's what I'm saying.. Its not about finding the drivers, unless you are referring to going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the newest drivers. Do not use old drivers.
Found the software, went to uninstall it… Nothing shows up in Add/Remove Programs for Logitech or QuickCam, and there is nothing in the start menu or Program Files for it either… Which is strange.
Should I just try to reinstall the software and try again?
As far as the drivers, I still have the original CD that came with the camera for the drivers… I went to the site looking for newer drivers before and I can't identify which drivers are for my camera as they use generic images for the camera it's suppose to support.
-Rappy
*sigh* there isn't one anywhere on the camera, and the installation CD only says QuickCam 8.4.8 (there are more than 20 quickcams they produce) I will try to filter through the website again. I really wish they had software to ID the camera and find updated drivers.
-Rappy
I had already unplugged it and it's not being recognized, I found the software for it from the web site, but when it gets to the point that I need to plug it in… Windows pops up with a window saying "A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly" and the installation never finished because it's waiting to recognize the camera.
-Rappy
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI