Software
Windows still refuses to shut down and reboot... Requires a reset butt
48 min read
Rappy
Ok, so we're back on the same track… Currently I an under selective startup, all startup programs disabled. This is the second reboot AFTER the registry tweaks. First one was in NORMAL startup with registry tweaks system was still quite slow, but not as bad as before. Icons showed up immediately, but some programs (that used to run immediately) still don't load until 2-3 minutes into the boot.
In this state, startup is quick… in under a minute is the norm. Video still does not respond consistently upon startup (never had this problem before).
Outlook -> FF is fine as well…
No errors in eventvwr after this last reboot, but I had to fully shut it down then hit the power button again to turn the computer back on in order for the video to work.
-Rappy
appleoddity
Ok… I'm going to get some information from the other thread as talked about in the PM and get back with you shortly. I'm blind without that list.
appleoddity
Please go to device manager (control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager) and look under display adapters. Please come back here and post whatever is listed there.
Rappy
Just my video card driver…
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
-Rappy
appleoddity
Ok.. This is what I would like you to do.
You may not agree with a couple things I am going to tell you, but please trust me, you'll have a happier computing experience.
We will make the changes temporary so you can go back if you decide you need to.
First of all, go to control panel -> add/remove programs, and uninstall anything Portrait Displays.
Now, open services.msc (click start -> run -> type 'services.msc) and press ENTER.
Find the following services, double-click them and STOP the service, then change its startup type to "Disabled."
Adobe Version Cue CS3.
FlexnetLicensingService (Set this to manual startup type if you are using Adobe Acrobat 8, otherwise disable it)
InstallDriverTableManager
Java Quick Starter
NMIndexingService
nTuneService
Nvidia Display Driver Service
Roxio UPnpRenderer 9
Roxio UPnp Server 9
Liveshare P2P server
RoxMediaDB
TVersityMediaServer
Portrait Displays Display Tune (Should not be there now)
Portrait Displays SDK Service (Should not be there now)
Now, open msconfig, click the startup tab, and ENABLE ALL. Now, uncheck the following items:
nwize.exe
Adobe_IDOEYTHM
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
NvMediaCenter
RoxWatchTray
BgMonitor
Nvidia nTune
EA Core
Click OK in msconfig and do not restart yet!
Now, go to the following link:
Nvidia 8500GT Video Driver Download
and download the newest video driver and install it.
When the driver requests that you restart, please restart. Now restart a couple times and make sure your video is functioning properly, it is restarting quickly, and OE > FF is not having long delays. Let me know your results.
Please tell me if you are using some kind of media sharing service in your home where you are sharing media files from this PC to other devices in the home?
You may not agree with a couple things I am going to tell you, but please trust me, you'll have a happier computing experience.
First of all, go to control panel -> add/remove programs, and uninstall anything Portrait Displays.
Now, open services.msc (click start -> run -> type 'services.msc) and press ENTER.
Find the following services, double-click them and STOP the service, then change its startup type to "Disabled."
Adobe Version Cue CS3.
FlexnetLicensingService (Set this to manual startup type if you are using Adobe Acrobat 8, otherwise disable it)
InstallDriverTableManager
Java Quick Starter
NMIndexingService
nTuneService
Nvidia Display Driver Service
Roxio UPnpRenderer 9
Roxio UPnp Server 9
Liveshare P2P server
RoxMediaDB
TVersityMediaServer
Portrait Displays Display Tune (Should not be there now)
Portrait Displays SDK Service (Should not be there now)
Now, open msconfig, click the startup tab, and ENABLE ALL. Now, uncheck the following items:
nwize.exe
Adobe_IDOEYTHM
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
NvMediaCenter
RoxWatchTray
BgMonitor
Nvidia nTune
EA Core
Click OK in msconfig and do not restart yet!
Now, go to the following link:
Nvidia 8500GT Video Driver Download
and download the newest video driver and install it.
When the driver requests that you restart, please restart. Now restart a couple times and make sure your video is functioning properly, it is restarting quickly, and OE > FF is not having long delays. Let me know your results.
Please tell me if you are using some kind of media sharing service in your home where you are sharing media files from this PC to other devices in the home?
Rappy
I agree with everything there as far as services except TVersity and EA Core… TVersity is set up to share files with my PC and my PS3 and EA Core is required to be running for game updates (although I can just run it before I run that EA game)…
-Rappy
appleoddity
Good, I'm glad you understand what we are doing and understand what those services are. I expected to ask you in the future about those two services. You can go ahead and leave them on. Lets see if your computer will run properly with them on. I appreciate that extra help. I was not sure with those services.
Rappy
I am not seeing any portrait display stuff in Add/Remove, but I am seeing a lot of carp** I haven't used or remembered about in a while, and am getting rid of that stuff as well.
-Rappy
appleoddity
Ok. Thats not a bad idea. Do make sure that if the Portrait Displays services are listed in services.msc or in the startup tab of msconfig that you disable them.
Maybe later we can manually delete those services if they are still present.
appleoddity
I just took a look at your bootlog again, and there is a Portrait Displays low level driver installed. I'm not too happy about that as I suspect this software has everything to do with your video issues.
Go back to regedit and navigate back to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and search for "PDIPorts.SYS" and delete that folder under Services. I'm asuming that you did already back up your registry as mentioned earlier.
Rappy
A bunch of those programs aren't listed under the startup tab…
Portrait Display stuff was in services.msc running, are now disabled… I am wondering if those startup items are under different names in msconfig…
If you want, I can type out what is in there before I reboot.
-Rappy
Rappy
I just took a look at your bootlog again, and there is a Portrait Displays low level driver installed. I'm not too happy about that as I suspect this software has everything to do with your video issues.
Go back to regedit and navigate back to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and search for "PDIPorts.SYS" and delete that folder under Services. I'm asuming that you did already back up your registry as mentioned earlier.
Under that is another PDI folder with another Portrait Display driver listed, should I delete that folder too?
-Rappy
appleoddity
Yes.. Delete the PDI stuff. Although, that is probably one of the services you disabled in services.msc you see there. You can delete it. The startup items I pulled from the HJT log in the other thread.
If you want to type out what is listed that is fine. Or you can ignore the missing ones and continue the previous instructions to install the video driver and reboot.
Rappy
Dramatic improvement on first reboot… although… video once again did not initialize, I had to fully power down the PC.
MSN messenger runs at start up, and before would time out trying to connect (for whatever reason) this time it instantly connected (like it was before) right after booting into windows.
I will reboot a few more times testing out the video problem…
Also OE -> FF is great.
-Rappy
Rappy
Alas, 2nd and 3rd reboot, the same…
I am doing Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Restart
I will try Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Turn Off now and manually start up once it's shut down and see if I get the same response.
-Rappy
I am doing Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Restart
I will try Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Turn Off now and manually start up once it's shut down and see if I get the same response.
-Rappy
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI