This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Malware (url.adtrgt) issue / HJT log included

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Do you mean who set up the wireless network? I use a wireless adapter, since my computer's ancient, so I did set up the adapter myself, but it was very simple. If you mean the wireless network, my father set up the network with step-by-step instructions from Dell Support via phone.
There is a nasty that has been appearing recently that messes with wireless routers and it is possible that a setting has been altered in it that is causing your problems - it would explain why nothing shows in any logs. The usual fix is to reset the router to factory settings with a recessed button that you should find on it and then reconfigure it to get back online. Is yours the only computer on the network that has these issues?
There are three computers on the network (2 laptops and 1 PC). My sister's laptop (as posted on this forum) was acting up before, but her issue has since been resolved. I am not sure about the other computer, so I will have to ask.
Yes, the other PC was acting slower like mine. I don't think that there's been a solution yet for that computer. In all fairness, my laptop is 4 years old and the PC is older than that.
For me, it's just the internet that's slow(er). My sister's computer runs much faster on the internet, but her computer is also newer. My dad's PC was acting slow, so he added memory and it seems to be running faster now. It seems that it's the internet that seems to be slow.

This is slightly off topic, but I noticed a weird symbol in place of some type of character, I'm not sure. My friend's facebook had something written in what I'm assuming was Chinese, but the characters didn't display normally. Instead, it had this in place of the characters. The same thing also showed up in a few of my emails. I circled what I mean below.

[external image: Posted Image]
I believe that what you are seeing is your computers best attempt at displaying a character that it doesn't have an exact match for. If you send a fax, you don't send the original, you send the instructions for the machine at the other end to create a copy of the original. Your browser works in much the same way. Unfortunately rather than putting marks on a page, your browser can only display the ready-made characters that is has available. If it doesn't have what it needs, it makes the best of it with whatever it thinks is close enough - exactly how close that is, is a matter of opinion though. As to your PC problem, I only have three suggestions, and one is overkill - at least for now. The first idea is to reset your router. I can't see any sign of malware on your PC which leads me to think that some setting in your router may be responsible for the redirection of your surfing giving you pop-ups. I can't guarantee that this will work though, as I don't know for sure that the router is the issue. Second, take your laptop to a friend's house and use their internet connection. If the problem is your router, you won't have any issues with a different connection. If you still have problems, you can assume that there is something on the computer causing them. Third, you reformat and reinstall. This is the "nuclear" option as far as malware is concerned and has more than a hint of desperation about it. Given that i've looked and looked and cannot find anything, i'll see if I can rustle up some second and third opinions. It's possible that i'm missing something obvious, or not so obvious, and it's starting to bug me greatly! When I learn something, i'll post it - possibly;y tonight, otherwise tomorrow.
Yes, I thought that cluster of numbers was just strange, as I've never seen such a 'character' before. My computer used to display everything, so this was out of the blue. I opened up the same email/facebook page on my sister's computer, and the characters were display in Chinese (as they should), so I guess it's just my computer. I'll take it one option at time, for now. I'm not exactly sure how I go about resetting my router. Is it disabling and enabling? I don't use IE as my browser, but I tested it just now and IE seems to be running quicker than Firefox. Granted, on IE I don't allow ActiveX controls and plug-ins (I click 'No' when the message screen pops up). Could this be a clue to something? Again, I really do thank you for your help with everything. I wish I were more of a computer-savvy person, but alas that is not the case.

I wish I were more of a computer-savvy person

Funny, I was just wishing I was more computer-savvy too! :wacko:

After a number of people took a look at the logs, the consensus seems to be that the PC is clean. We'll start with the connection speed as this is an easy one to look into. I want you to run a speed test and compare that to the expected speed of your connection.
The test I use can be found at http://www.speedtest.net/. You just click on the yellow pyramid and watch the dial - it isn't cable TV, but i've watched worse on a Thursday night.
Let me know what the results are and what your maximum connection speed is, according to your ISP.
Ah, well, I am sure you're better off than me when it comes to computers and the like!

I copied the link to the results, so here it is: http://www.speedtest.net/result/406100676.png. I could be wrong, but my wireless network connection icon in the lower right corner says "Speed: 54.0 Mbps" along with the status and signal strength. if this is not the correct information, how do I find out what my maximum connection speed is suppose to be?
54 Mbps is the connection speed between your PC and router, and not the internet speed you are enjoying. Presumably whoever organised the internet access was aware of the service that they were paying for - will you ask them what connection speed they were expecting. Will you also run the speed test on all the other computers that use the router and let me know what the speeds are.
What I see is that your dad's is running significantly faster than the other two computers - 12 Mb and 12.4 Mb compared to nearly 20Mb. If you did run the last two at the same time, you should expect similar results. Different times of day could result in different speeds, depending on the way your ISP works. Are the computers all running wireless, or are you using cables on one or more, and did you run the last two speed tests at the same time?
No, I ran my sister's test about 5 minutes before running the rest on my dad's computers. It's odd that the stats say that my dad's PC is running faster because it's definitely slower than my sister's laptop. My sister and I use wireless for our laptops and my dad's PC is connected via cable.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI