This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Crashing/Freezing/Blue Screen

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi and I hope I'm in the correct forum, if not I'm sorry. :blush:
I've had this problem for over a week, mainly its when I run a game or program that uses most of my CPU. The game is Mass Effect(not online), but i think its just my video card/sound device that causes the freeze(then i have to reboot) which isn't that big to me b/c its just a game(this problem for about 3 weeks). Its when I run AVG 8.0 to scan my pc, its works for a while then goes to the blue screen, and that scares me(for about a week). I don't know if its hardware of software or a virus.
At one point yesterday I couldn't even operate my pc(it would continually reboot). I ran in Safe Mode and ran my virus scanner, until it eventually froze. So I rebooted and could at least browse the internet and operate my pc.
When the game freezes my pc it said something about not enough virtual memory once. Alot of the time it would freeze, I would alt-tab out and my RealTek Audio Device Manager would say I have plugged in a new device(which i hadn't) often after i clicked OK and could resume playing it, but would lock my pc up soon after.
When the scan crashes my PC the blue screen would say nothing but 'your OS has shut down to prevent harmful damage'. Once it did say something about KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. Thank you in advance!!!


My computer was custom built by a friend and I 14 months ago.
OS: Window XP Pro SP3
AMD(Athlon) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.21 GHz, 2 GB of RAM
Video Card: GeForce 8600 GT

Here is my HJT log file. Thank You in advance!!!!

EDIT: I'm using my brother's computer to get on here. Today, I have a new problem; I can't even start my computer. I started in Safe Mode and it froze while I was running system scan. The error says STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error.

This just popped up after rebooting several times. A blue screen message saying: KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.

Right now, I'm in Safe Mode, with Restore Point up, waiting for advice. Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:18:05 AM, on 1/2/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Shared Plug-Ins\Media Manager\MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMGR\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.crawler.com/search/ie.aspx?tb_id=66028
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = http://dnl.crawler.com/support/sa_customize.aspx?TbId=66028
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: ContributeBHO Class - {074C1DC5-9320-4A9A-947D-C042949C6216} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.2.28.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Contribute Toolbar - {517BDDE4-E3A7-4570-B21E-2B52B6139FC7} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe_ID0EYTHM] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Adobe\ADOBEV~1\Server\bin\VERSIO~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "c:\program files\valve\steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AdobeUpdater] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5\AdobeUpdater.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: BitComet - {D18A0B52-D63C-4ed0-AFC6-C1E3DC1AF43A} - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.2.28.dll/206 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: PokerStars.net - {FA9B9510-9FCB-4ca0-818C-5D0987B47C4D} - C:\Program Files\PokerStars.NET\PokerStarsUpdate.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1005.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1193323643687
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DEC6C7BD-E9B5-4E58-B72C-517D1A3F701B}: NameServer = 192.168.0.1
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS3 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin\VersionCueCS3.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe

–
End of file - 9554 bytes
Hi prov1,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Then

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot (shut down your computer then restart it).
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Hi, Tomk, I appreciate your help with this. I already ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program and it only found one piece of malware and I removed it and I'm going to try to find the log. My main problem is that I can't get to normal startup (Internet access) to post the log; right now, I'm borrowing my brother's computer to post this. Going to try and do as you said and then burn the log to CD and have my brother post it.
It took me about 15 to 20 tries restarting my computer just to get to Safe Mode and many of the times I got a blue screen saying "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and I'm about to try quick-scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both times I've tried it's stopped on the same file and shut down. If it gets stuck on the same thing, I'll tell you what file and try to get on Safe Mode with Networking. EDIT: Made it through the scan and said "No malicious items were found." I'm going to try and burn the file to CD for my brother to post. If I can't, I'll try and save it and then post it with Safe Mode with Networking.
prov1,

"UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" sounds like a hardware problem. :unsure:

Let's see if you can run a little rootkit scan.

Download Rooter.exe to your desktop

  • Then doubleclick it to start the tool
  • A Notepad file containing the report will open, also found at %systemdrive%\Rooter.txt. Post that here
I'm trying to write the log file to disc, and it's saying that it can't detect the CD, and I've had that problem before with a game CD. I'll try to download Rooter if I can get it to Safe Mode with Networking. Heres my malware log file. Im on my pc in safe mode with networking. Thx for you help Ima try downloading rooter.exe now Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.20 Database version: 949 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 9:17:50 PM 1/4/2009 mbam-log-1-4-2009 (21-17-50).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 39821 Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 49 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)
HI heres my rooter.exe file Microsoft Windows XP Professional ( v5.1.2600 ) Service Pack 3 X86-based PC ( Multiprocessor Free : AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ ) BIOS : )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG USER : Eric Wilson ( Administrator ) BOOT : Fail-safe with network boot Antivirus : AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0 (Activated) A:\ (USB) C:\ (Local Disk) - NTFS - Total:465 Go (Free:228 Go) D:\ (CD or DVD) Sun 01/04/2009|22:38 ———————-\\ Search.. ———————-\\ Rogues.. C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\STARTM~1\Programs\Antivirus XP 2008.lnk ———————-\\ Cracks & Keygens.. C:\DOCUME~1\ERICWI~1\Application Data\uTorrent\SpyHunter Security Suite v3.4.9+Crack-HeartBug.torrent C:\DOCUME~1\ERICWI~1\Recent\C&C First Decade Cracks.lnk C:\DOCUME~1\ERICWI~1\Recent\Crack.lnk 1 - "C:\Rooter$\Rooter_1.txt" - Sun 01/04/2009|22:39 ———————-\\ Scan completed at 22:39
prov1,

It's possible that these cracks are at the root of your problems.

Let's run a more intense scan.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop


  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link –> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.


[external image: Posted Image]



Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[external image: Posted Image]


Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.


Notes:

1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
3. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
4. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you – please tell your helper.
5. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.
i ran ComboFix, and i didn't click anything, or even move my mouse , still it froze my pc while saying it was "preparing to run". It took me 2 hrs of restarting my pc to get back here. Now, do i run it again? I am going to bed and leave my pc running, I will check back tomorrow. Its weird that all most all of the time, my pc is crashing on startup, but then theres one time it does? Man this sux. Im in safe mode with networking waiting further instructions.
I ran ComboFix and installed system recovery tool. An error message came up while running ComboFix saying:

16 bit MS DOS Subsystem
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

And then another one came up later while running it saying:

CS:1087 IP: fff0 OP: fe le O9 B7
Choose Close to terminate the application.

In the program window, it said it was done, but it never gave me a log file to give you.

Now, I've been trying to restart my computer for the past three hours unsuccessfully, and on this last restart I got this blue screen error:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Waiting further instruction. :unsure:
prov1,

If combofix ran, the report will be found here:

  • Right click on START on the left end of your Windows toolbar (lower left corner of your screen)
  • Click on Explore
  • Click on Local Disk (C:) in the left-hand window pane
  • Look for ComboFix.txt in the right-hand window pane and right click on it
  • Put your cursor (arrow) on Open With
  • Move your cursor to the new menu that opens and click on Choose Program…
  • Click on Notepad

When file opens, Copy/Paste text here

If you can't start your computer, you won't be able to access it.

I suggest that you post in the Windows forum here and see if the Tech Team can do anything to help you.
omg. :pullhair: I decided to try last known configuration at start up(bc i was tired of safe mode failing) Sooo, it goes to disk check screen and says its scanning my disc or disk to find corrupt files, 1 of 3. And at least 8 corrupt files were deleted in first stage. This is where it froze last time while finding only 1 file and deleting it. BUT it made it all of the way through the 3 stages checking my HD, and started up normally!!! I have a System Configuration Utility window up, do i do anything with it? Now how do I keep it working? lol tough one I know. I am going to fetch the combofix file now. Thx for you continuing help! I don't think the combofix.txt file was saved, because I cannot locate it.
prov1,

Sooo, it goes to disk check screen and says its scanning my disc or disk to find corrupt files

That is not a malware problem. That's a problem on your hard drive. It may not be a "hard drive problem" because something else may have corrupted the files so your system gets confused trying to read your hard drive. A power outage can even cause a problem like this. Lots of variables.

I still suggest that you pose a question to the Tech Team. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software problem but I suggest that you start in the windows forum as I provided a link to earlier.

What do you think of my suggestion?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI