This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Slow running, malware infested

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Tom, I don't use the WildTangent, probably came from my kids. I'll blast it and the Adware Agent as well when I get home tonight. My son unhooks my modem every night so he can play online with his PS3. Is it possible that Zonelabs is causing my slow computing when I first reconnect to the modem? Is there another anti-virus/anti-spyware that isn't such a hog when it comes to resources? When ZL is downloading/updating the computer is essentially useless. Thanks Tom.
Oh…no, I don't normally click on my self-sent emails to see where they come from. I did once to find it came from some service in NYC that it said I had signed up for. Could have been my kids, my wife, or myself I guess. Want me to forward one to you so you can see? Bob
cabinover, I don't need to see it. What your describing is the kind that typically means someone got your name on a list. It's not coming from your computer. The adaware agent looks like something you get from clicking on a pop-up. For information on firewalls, etc. please refer to the links I gave you in post #15.
Hi Tom, Haven't had 10 spare minutes lately, I apologize. I took ZoneLabs suite off of my computer and installed AVG Anti-virus Free. When I brought up the interface it said I have anti-spyware included with it. Is this sufficient for all my protection providing I also grab one of the firewalls listed in the "must have" protection stuff? If not do I just go into AVG and disable the anti-spyware part before installing something like SpywareGuard? Thanks, Bob
cabinover, I would just keep Malwarebytes' for spyware. Because it doesn't run automatically, it won't interfere. You need to update it and run it probably weekly. Couldn't hurt to install Winpatrol also.
OK on the Malwarebytes for spyware. I'll run it once a week as prescribed. One last question, do I need to do anything with AVG's spyware when I run Malwarebytes? I can tell you this though, with ZoneLabs suite gone this thing is like a new computer. Now to get more RAM and I'll be sailing right along like old times. Tom I really appreciate all of the help you've given me here and will donate to this forum for it. Thanks again!!
cabinover, Because the free version of Malwarebytes' has no "real-time" protection, there is nothing running "in the background" so there is nothing to interfere with your AVG. It also doesn't use any resources except when you are running it. Any more questions or are you ready for me to close this thread?
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI