Am I supposed to have the XP cd in the drive?
TMPLGE,
Nope. It should be installed on your computer from when we ran ComboFix. If you can't get there, then we will try from the CD.
I see the list of dates, however i dont quite understand how to choose one. Can you guide me through it?
TMPLGE,
is one of them 1-7-2009 ?
I have found several, one or them is called WindowsUpdate.log
TMPLGE,
When you entered DIR you got a list of files. The first column on the left should be date, the next time, then attibutes(which you don't care about) and the last column on the left should be the name of the files. Look the items with todays date and find the one with the time closest(but before) your system crashed. Then please tell me what the name is (column on the right).
give me 1 minute, i wil lhave them all up.
0.log
bootstat.dat
Prefetch
SchedLgU.txt
Temp
wiadebug.log
wiaservc.log
windowsUpdate.log
Please verify that your command prompt says: c:\Windows\ERDNT\Autobackup
When i type that in i get "the command is not recognized" what am I doing wrong Tomk?
Just tell me what your command prompt says. It should say c:\windows and then something. Can you tell me what it says?
Yes sir. C:\WINDOWS> is exactly what it looks like.
When I type ERDNT\Autobackup after that i ger command not recognized.
Alrighty then.
Type in cd ERDNT
the command prompt should change to c:\windows\ERDNT>
then type dir and hit enter
Then tell me what you get.
That works. Heres the list:
01/06/09, 3 dates all for this same date. 0 bytes with no file names on the right.
Should I just reinstall Windows XP? Or would that take longer and be difficult?