This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Help with Hijack This log...Don't know what to del

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can't download it, an error message pops up right after I click "Run" from the start menu,

You cannot rename ComboFix as ComboFix[1]

Please use another name, perferably made up of alphanumerical characters


However, when I click "Run" and type "Combofix", the download file pops up, with "Run" or "Cancel" (which is the same box as when I tried to install it). When I click "Run", the same error message as above appears…

What should I do?
danomind,

Is Combofix still on your desktop? If it is, then drag it to your recycle bin. Then re-download and re-try uninstall command.

If it isn't, then:

  • Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
  • Download OTCleanIt to your desktop and run it
  • A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OTCleanUp to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to beging the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Then do the download/uninstall thing.

Let me know.
How do you re-download and re-try uninstall command? And Combofix isn't on my desktop, but Im not sure if its in my computer files.
danomind,

I am so sorry. We never ran Combofix so it obviously won't uninstall. I sincerely apologize. We just need to set a new restore point.

You need to create a new Clean restore point.
Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.

Remove all previous Restore Points
Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste

cleanmgr

At top, click on More Options tab. Click Clean up… button in the System Restore box. Click on Yes button. When finished, click on Cancel button to exit.


The rest of the advice in my previous post still applies.
So I did the Disk Cleanup, and downloaded OTCleanIt and ran it ;) , do I have to do something with Combofix? Install it? The weird thing is, when I click >Run >Combofix, the install window still appears…
danomind,

do I have to do something with Combofix?


nope. Because we didn't run it, there are no quarantine files to delete. Also, ComboFix adjusts some of your computer settings and the uninstall command I had you trying to run resets them. The obviously don't need reset if we didn't run the tool.

If you have made a new restore point, you should be good to go. :thumbup:
Ah…Thank you very much Tomk! I haven't been getting pop-ups since the cleanups, so thats good to know! I understand about the protection and I will take precautions in the future. One last question: Can I download Google toolbar now? Or should I not…
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI