This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Buzzing sound since installing Vista

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Since installing Windows Vista (along with some new RAM), I am getting a buzzing sound which lasts a second or two, two or three times an hour. This is coming from somewhere around the bottom of my case; it is definitely not coming from anywhere near my speakers. It doesn't sound like anything I would associate with a fan or a drive; it's more like an electronic violin type of noise. This seems like something that would be a hardware issue, obviously, but it started exactly when I installed Vista; it never happened while I was running XP.

Any ideas?
Hi JeffH,

Have you got an onboard sound card? If so check the enhancements, if there is no check in 'disable audio enhancements' put a check there to see if that helps.

Some suggestions I have taken from other sites are:

  • Disabling audio enhancements
  • updating bios version
  • updating chipset audio drivers
  • updating sata/ide drivers
  • turning off program exclusive control
  • uninstalling drivers and then using a fresh install
Keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards,
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I have no idea what you mean by "check the enhancements". From what you said right afterward I assume it's a very specific dialogue box or property sheet somewhere, but I can't find anything called "enhancements" in any of the obvious places.
Hello Jeff H :wavey:

I am not a Vista user though if you could supply some more information about your computer, I do have some resources to which I can advise you from.

Please read this information here if you haven't already. :)

Then please let us know, :thumbup:

There is always someone wanting to help. :popcorn:



Jkc73

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I have no idea what you mean by "check the enhancements". From what you said right afterward I assume it's a very specific dialogue box or property sheet somewhere, but I can't find anything called "enhancements" in any of the obvious places.

Hi Jeff H,
Try this:
There are a couple ways of doing this. The first way is to right click My Computer and click on Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Once in the Device Manager section, expand the link by Sound, Video & Game controllers. Here you should see the type of sound card you have installed in your machine.

The second way to find out what kind of sound card you have is to click on the Start button, then click on Run and once the Run box opens, type DXDIAG. Now click on the Sound tab up at the top and the name of your sound card will be displayed.

Here is another link from here that may assist you.

Best regards,
You could have simply said "check what kind of sound card you have"; it's the phrase "check the enhancements" that confused me. For future reference - stick to standard terminology, and don't assume I know anything that's specific to Vista, and everything will be fine. Stuff like this that's been the same all the way back to Windows 95, I'll do fine on. However, on anything Vista-specific, it`s probably best to assume I`m as dumb as Italian sausage.

It's an onboard unit built into my mobo. There are actually two entries in the Device Mangler, which say "NVIDIA® nForce™ MCP Audio Processing Unit" and "Realtek AC'97 Audio". According to dxdiag it's the Realtek that's actually doing the work. I'm pretty sure both showed up in the XP device manager too, but obviously have no way of double-checking that now.

I did not find an option called "Disable audio enhancements" in either property sheet.

I should probably add some other hardware information. I'm running a system I built myself a few years ago, on a now-antiquated Abit motherboard. I run an Athlon XP 1800+ and just upgraded from 512 MB of DDR266 to 1.5 GB of DDR333. My vid card shouldn`t be relevant here but think ``piece of carp**``, at least by current standards. I just upgraded from XP Pro to Vista Home Premium this week, which of course required a clean install; I first noticed the problem within an hour of sitting down with Vista for the first time. I don`t know if any of that helps you, but better to have the info and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I'm not a tech expert but I have built and fixed a number of PC's in my time. If you are running Vista Home Basic then try going back to your original 512mb of DDR266 RAM and see if that helps (it may be a little slow but it could help work out what the problem is in the first instance). If that works try putting just 1024mb of DDR333 RAM and then try 1512mb DDR333. Also what Abit Motherboard are you using? S.
Hi Jeff H,

A couple of things…please update your profile regarding the OS you are running, it shows Windows XP

Here is a link, also at the bottom of my signature that does help us greatly when posting for help.

I am glad to see you have updated your RAM as it takes at least 512MB to even run Vista so I understand.

Are there any yellow or red warnings in your Device Manager that could give us a clue if you need to update your drivers as posted in my first post.

What is your maintenance program? Anti-Spyware, Anti Malware? Have you cleaned your temp folder lately? things like that. If you need more assistance with software to maintain your system please ask.

I am still researching for you, but would like the answer to the questions above in the meantime please.

This link sounds like your problem so you could research through it to see if it helps.

Comment in passing - we are all volunteers here, we do the best we can in the time we have when not at our real jobs, so please be mindful of that fact would be appreciated……………thank you.

Best regards,
Okay, lots of stuff to try here, I'll get back to you when I've given some of it a shot. The link doesn't sound very much like my issue at all, however. That was clearly a sound coming from the user's speakers. Mine, as I said in the first post, is not coming from anywhere near my speakers, it is coming from somewhere inside my case.
Greetings all Could be Coinsidental to the Ram install, Mind you removing the newly installed ram and having a listen would rule that out. One of the things overlooked sometimes is aging components, esp capacitors. They can buzz or squeal when out of tolerence or the electrolyte has dried up in them. Could be coming from the powersupply as well since it also contains capacitors. Swap it out if you can. See if the noise stops. Do indeed have a look about the motherboard and look for swelled or leaking Caps. Other usual suspects are wires rubbing fans, or Fans with a blade with some damage or wear. Try moving the box around some and see if it changes, maybe a different surface? Check to see if any screws have backed out of any of the holders, case and motherboard. Good luck Kaz
Swolen or leaking capacitors would pretty much = "I need a new motherboard", right? And with it, more likely than not a new everything else…
Greetings Jeff H Yes usually if capacitors have failed its motherboard/powersupply replacement time. Capacitors can be replaced if you are willing to get the specs of them, have a soldering iron, and nothing to lose if it doesnt work. Could even be a enjoyable project. But we are assuming here that is the problem you are facing. There are still other "usual suspects" to investigate. Harddrives also have been known to "sing" and produce noise when failing as well. Good luck Kaz
I'm starting to suspect an ailing hard drive. Thing is, I have four physical drives. What would be a good way to determine which one it is, assuming that's even the problem?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI