This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

pinpointed deewoo in startup then pc freezes after spyware message

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running xp media center edition as soon as i saw the desktop was changed on my laptop I tried to restart in safe mode Once in safe mode I was only able to look in the startup items tab before i received errors saying windows explorer encountered an error and had to quit. Restarting again it didn't go into safe mode, but i I ran a search for files that had been modified today. (because I knew it was fine before midnight) The list just continued to grow, and finally it gave me the errors about explorer having to quick unexpectedly again. That is where i shut it down, switched to the mac to research what I can to before whatever it is spreads any more than it already has in 2 hours. Any guidance as to what to do once I do turn the computer back on would be great. Until then, I will be nervously waiting and reading on the mac :(
Run - ATF Cleaner instructions here.

—————-


Then download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post it here. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt
Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to download atf cleaner 3.0.1 and haven't been able to get the download started. It tries to contact the download location and hangs just before the green bar gets all the way done. At the same time i get an error bubble on my quick launch that says "your computer is infected! It is recomended to use special antispyware tools to pervernt dada loss." (yes with those spelling errors ) and it goes on to say click that bubble. I have not done it yet, should I? still not connecting to the download location for atf cleaner either ***update*** ATF cleaner downloaded….. thanks for the link
Ok, After i ran ATF Cleaner and restarted the pc i log on. My desktop begins to load fine, then it freezes. Everything except the mouse pointer freezes, and when I try to open firefox to download the malwarebytes' nothing happens. Should I be opening in safe mode? or is this worse than previously thought?
Perhaps i am just really tired… but I cannot get the download onto my computer to install it. I was able to get firefox to work on my own pc but not for this site so that i can just click the link. is there another site i can go directly to for a download link
Well lets see if this program will download.

Download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download.
It must be saved directly to your desktop.



1. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
  • Remember to re enable the protection again afterwards before connecting to the net


2. Close any open browsers and make sure you are disconnected from the net. Unplug the cable if need be before running combofix.
  • IF you have not already done so Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet when it starts.
  • If there is no internet connection when Combofix has completely finished then restart your computer to restore back the connections.

3. Now double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review


Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze.
Sorry for the delay in responding with my results. The computer starts up fine with my log on screen, then opens a black background desktop (icons showing) but freezes when I try to open any programs. First just the screen freezes, then the mouse also. I haven't been able to download either malwarebytes or combofix. Thank you for all the help, I desperately need to get my computer up and running for work as well as personal, and I really appreciate the help. Eagerly awaiting….
at the moment yes, i temporarily have access to another pc. it is running vista, while mine has xp media center edition, if that makes any difference.
Download the program (combofix) and burn it to a CD or use a thumb-drive and move it to the XP PC. Make sure you copy it to the desk top before running it.
I was able to copy combofix onto the desktop using a memory stick. I unzipped it. Then I had a red combofix icon and a combofix file icon on my desktop. The computer froze as it has been, first the desktop and start bar, then the mouse too. I turned it off, then back on awhile later, it froze immediately after the log on. Turned off and on again, desktop came up black as before, with icons visable, so I clicked on the combo fix and the entire computer froze there, mouse and all. My start bar hadn't loaded all the way, or gone into auto hide yet even.
back to where we left off… i renamed combofix and ran it from desktop it came up with an error saying the date and that it had expired do you still want to run limited combofix i selected yes a blue window comes up says Please wait. Combofix is preparing to run. _ (flashing underscore) approxametly 15 min has gone by nothing else has happened. I have not clicked anything Help please? update: the computer went to sleep, so i touched the track pad to wake it now the underscore is no longer flashing the computer hadn't asked for a password though, so it hadn't gone all the way to sleep

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI