Software
cannot access internet but can ping websites
4 min read
super_neil
Topic Starter
I can't access the internet through IE or Firefox. I can ping www.google.com etc and can ping my router fine. But when I use a browser I get nothing. So far I have:
1. Scanned and cleared all virus'
2. Turned off all firewalls
3. Done a Hijack This scan and cleared anything untoward
4. Reset the hosts file using the command "netsh winsock reset"
5. Tried another router
I'm tearing my hair out here. I am running XP Pro SP2
tallin
Hi super_neil,I can't access the internet through IE or Firefox. I can ping www.google.com etc and can ping my router fine. But when I use a browser I get nothing. So far I have:
1. Scanned and cleared all virus'
2. Turned off all firewalls
3. Done a Hijack This scan and cleared anything untoward
4. Reset the hosts file using the command "netsh winsock reset"
5. Tried another router
I'm tearing my hair out here. I am running XP Pro SP2
Replying to your first three statements
- What programs did you scan with and what viruses did you clear
- You should only have one Firewall, which one do you run? It is dangerous to leave it turned off
- Did you have supervision when running and clearing Hijackthis program and log
kind regards,
super_neil
I scanned with AVG professional. That was 2 weeks ago, I can't remember what I got off it, but there was 1 or 2 virus'. It worked fine after, the problem occured 3 days after.
AVG pro has a firewall, and so does windows, I siwtched both off to try and work this problem out.
No I didn't have supervision as I am very experienced with Hijack This.
tallin
Hi Again,
If it was my computer, I would still post a log to the correct forum from the link in my last post to you.
kind regards,
super_neil
tallin
Good job super_neil, you have the best Malware fighter (LDTate) on the internet helping you, so I will watch with interest the outcome of your thread.
kind regards,
caperjack
you mention a router in the post on the other thread ,,did you try eliminating the router and connect directly to you modem
tallin
Hi Caperjack,you mention a router in the post on the other thread ,,did you try eliminating the router and connect directly to you modem
As super_neil has now posted in the HJT forum, we are not permitted to suggest any advice as the settings in the computer maybe changed and this makes the job of the Malware fighter (in this case LDTate's) job even harder to solve.
Hope this assists you contributing with your valuable assistance here on WTT.
best regards,
caperjack
,Im not suggesting he fix anything or not do whats suggested in other thread ,im responding to this thread !
,just try something i think is being over looked by you and the poster in the hiajckthis thread ,if thats not ok then he doesn't have to try connecting direct to modem ,at least i offered a suggestion that might save others a lot of time trying to fix with programs like Combo Fix ,A program i might add is not recommend to run unless log readers see something in the log to suggest it ,as there was nothing in the log i don't see the point in running combo fix ,but that just my opinion.
and i might add away back in 04 ,when i joined this forum i was a member of the classroom and learned a lot about hijackthis ,
Anyways, not to offend ,but i think my suggestion is/was harmless ! and doesn't merit your response ! thank you
super_neil
I should say it is a wireless modem router, and have tried my friends wireless modem router and had the same problem. Thanks for your suggesion caperjack.
super_neil
come on guys, can anyone help me out here? I need to get this sorted ASAP
little eagle
You may have a connection interfering with another conection.
Under network connections what do you have listed?
super_neil
my LAN connection and thats it, with the ip settings on the default. Did manually put in IP settings to see if there was any change but, still the same.
little eagle
Download WinsockFix.zip. © Option^Explicit.
UnZip WinsockFix.zip (Pay close attention to where the file is extracted to.)
Then run WinsockFix.exe. Click the Fix button.
This program will clean up your TCP/IP connection and rebuild the database.
After the program is complete, reboot and your problems might be resolved.
UnZip WinsockFix.zip (Pay close attention to where the file is extracted to.)
Then run WinsockFix.exe. Click the Fix button.
This program will clean up your TCP/IP connection and rebuild the database.
After the program is complete, reboot and your problems might be resolved.
super_neil
hi little eagle, I have previously ran WinsockFix to no avail, I should have listed that, sorry!
Thanks for your input
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI