This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

My documents on windows xp

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

For quite some time now I have had a problem. Whenever I open up any files in my documents, after closing all the files I completely lose my desktop and get an error message saying windows has had to close down, and that a report had been made for microsoft would i like to send it? I click dont send and after about 30 seconds I get my desktop back slowly 1 icon at a time, although occasionally my computer will freeze altogether and I would have to manually reboot. Also i find that when my kids have been on some of thier games websites my computer freezes up, but when i try to reboot, windows wont shutdown or after rebooting it takes an extremely long time to get my desktop back, sometimes up to 15 minutes. I have run virus scans thru with none showing up, and I defrag at least once a week. The problems seemed to start when a 'friend' who supposively new a lot about computers fiddled around with ours to make it 'better' 3 years ago, and as we had a falling out with him shortly afterwards and we have very little computer knowledge ourselves, we have no idea what exactly he did. I have a horrid feeling he wiped out our authentic version of windows xp and installed his version which im guessing was pirated. Any suggestion would be much appreciated, but as i mentioned, im a computer dummy so lamens terms would be helpful lol. :D
Hello Chrissy72


I have a horrid feeling he wiped out our authentic version of windows xp and installed his version which im guessing was pirated.


I'm hoping that this isn't the case, though here is a way to find out.

Click on 'START' > Control Panel > Security Centre > Automatic Updates,
See if the Automatic Updates are selected,
If NOT I recommend that you select Automatic & select everyday for a time that suites you.

If the Windows version that you have is pirated then you may require the original code that you received when purchasing.
Though if it is not pirated then some updates may need to take place.

Please feel free to post back any questions. :thumbup:

Jkc73
Have you done any updates to Windows in the last 3 years? If so, I suspect Microsoft would have validated your copy. If no updates have been done, then that would not be good. Your symptoms could be caused by any number of things, but malware stands out right now.

Do you have the original Windows installation disk? Are the kids using a Limited Access account, or do you use an admin (or your) account (login)?

Please tell us a bit about the hardware - computer or motherboard make and model, and version, including patch level, of Windows.

I recommend you purge your system of clutter using Windows (XP or Vista) Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If you use CCleaner, then during installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar and before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked.

Note: Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit.

Then download, install, update, and run Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) to ensure your system is free of malware. Then do the same for all other computers on your network (everything on your side of the Internet gateway, typically a cable/DSL modem).
to check if you copy of windows is legal . go to my computer and click on help ,top tool bar,click on is my copy legal ! also send the info to Microsoft when you have the error ,it may send back a link to check about you error
Ive tried sending the reply to the error to microsoft but with no response. I have been recieving regular updates from microsoft, yet when i checked it said my windows was a copy? I dont have the original disk as windows was already preinstalled when i got the computer and the disk which came with it got damaged and destroyed when we moved not long after. Thankyou digerati for all the info and links, i will follow those instructions asap and see what i come up with and keep you posted. And thanks jkc73 and caperjack for your help too.
Hi Chrissy72,

Digerati, has given you sound advice so I would agree with all in his post.

If you have been receiving Windows Updates regularly each patch Tuesday of the month (the second Tuesday) your OS must be a legal copy. When you go to the site, you are often asked to validate your Windows Operating system.

Do you have the OS product key? Some day you will need the OS CD for one reason or another as you may need to repair Windows. I would contact Microsoft to purchase your genuine OS CD immediately if it was me.

If, after following Digerati's suggestions your computer is still not performing to speed, I would go here and follow along to post a HJT log, but only after all the suggestions in this thread have been attempted. The Malware forum is very busy so as suggested, don't post unless you have carried out all suggestions in this thread.

kind regards,

Hi Chrissy72,

If you have been receiving Windows Updates regularly each patch Tuesday of the month (the second Tuesday) your OS must be a legal copy.

i dissagree there is a key for the orignal devels own copy that will get update and pass the genuine activex download
Hi Caperjack,

I have added bold to your text that I do not understand, so could you give us a further note on what you do mean please. :unsure: …..thanks

i dissagree there is a key for the orignal devels own copy that will get update and pass the genuine activex download

kind regards,

Hi Caperjack,

I have added bold to your text that I do not understand, so could you give us a further note on what you do mean please. :unsure: …..thanks


you say if you get updates then your copy is legal ,not true ,go back a few years when xp came out there was a pirated version of xp called "The Devils own", its still around but with a working key
Now that it is understood what is meant by devels own, there needs to be no further discussion in this thread about of the illegal use of Windows, or any other copyrighted materials, other than to say its use is not condoned, or supported by this, or any respectable site. ****************** Back on topic… @ Chrissy, tallin's advice continues along the right path. If you cannot find proof of legal ownership, you will have to buy another license. That's just the way it is. Please understand that software piracy is not just Microsoft complaining they are not getting paid. Malicious software (malware) distributors use the transfer of illegal software to distribute their latest nasties. So it is important for everybody that everyone is legal.
Hey guys. Ok, I sat up to the wee hours thismorning and did a disk cleanup and defrag as you suggested digerati, then I downloaded and ran the anti melware programme to which it found and removed over 300 objects! :o . Seems to be rebooting better now, but Im still having teh problem when clicking out of my documents. I only use the 1 user (myself) and it is permanantly logged in. All I know about my computer is that it is an acer aspire, approx 5 years old, and Im using windows XP. I am still receiving regular updates from microsoft, I know the original one when i bought the computer was authentic, but as i mentioned before it got damaged. We were having problems connectiing to the internet at one time and our service provider was going to take several weeks to get out to fix the problem so that was when this friend said he could help but he needed to wipe the memory on our computer then reinstall everything so without the original disk im gathering he installed his own? JKC73, Ive checked my auto updates and it was switched on to update everyday at 3am. So where should I go from here? Thankyou all for your help, its much appreciated.
Hi chrissy72

So where should I go from here?



View this item 1st Click here

Then I recommend What the Tech > Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal > HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal

Jkc73 :thumbup:
Hi chrissy72

I have some more directions on how we can help, going on the following quotes,

As quoted by Digerati.Please tell us a bit about the hardware - computer or motherboard make and model, and version, including patch level, of Windows.

As quoted bychrissy72. All I know about my computer is that it is an acer aspire, approx 5 years old, and Im using windows XP



Please follow these directions:
Go to Start > Run >
then type msinfo32 press Enter.
The System Information - System Summary will now be displayed.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad
Now type into the Untitled - Notepad, the following Items and their values.

OS Name:
Version:
OS Manufacturer:
System Manufacturer:
System Model:
System Type:
Hardware Abstract Layer:
Total Physical Memory:
Total Virtual Memory:
Page File Space:


Now save as System Info to your Desktop and copy/paste in your next post.

This will enable us to search further into your problem. :thumbup:

then I downloaded and ran the anti melware programme to which it found and removed over 300 objects!


Maybe it's time to download HJT and post a log in the HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal Forum and let one of our Malware experts look at the log……

sounds like you are seriously infected with Malware…

Don't Fix anything with HJT yet - what is there may be harmless or required. Be patient and wait for an Expert to help you
(they are very busy)

then I downloaded and ran the anti melware programme to which it found and removed over 300 objects!


Maybe it's time to download HJT and post a log in the HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal Forum and let one of our Malware experts look at the log……

sounds like you are seriously infected with Malware…

Don't Fix anything with HJT yet - what is there may be harmless or required. Be patient and wait for an Expert to help you
(they are very busy)

As mentioned above too! And I concur.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI