Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java not working

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

It sounds like the missing files listed in Dependency Walker may be a sign of the cause of your problem. First, you need to check to see if they are there.

According to Processlibrary.com

DWMAPI.DLL - dwmapi.dll is a Window Manager API from Microsoft Corporation belonging to Microsoft® Windows® Vista
MPR.DLL - mpr.dll is a module containing functions used to handle communication between the Windows operating system and the installed network providers
SHLWAPI.DLL - shlwapi.dll is a library which contains functions for UNC and URL paths, registry entries, and color settings

I don't know why the first one is listed, since you have XP+SP3 and not Vista. It is not listed on my Computer.

The other two should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32. I have SP3 plus all updates and mine show as:

04/14/2008 05:41 AM 59,904 mpr.dll
04/14/2008 05:42 AM 474,112 shlwapi.dll

I did find this: The answer everyone doesn't want to hear is "yes, you do have to uninstall
IE7" to get the viral USER32.DLL's trickle-down reference to DWMAPI.DLL to go
away on XP.

You could try that. Uninstall all Java and run JavaRa again.
Uninstall IE7. That should give you IE6 back.
Install Java 6U7 - check it, make sure it's working
Install IE7 (if you want, I still prefer IE6).

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hi

Just to let you know that I am still here - and so is my problem with Java! I have been rather too busy at work to spend much time on this this but here is an update.

Google them and see what you get, or take a look at the paperwork that came with the computer, you never know what you may find. Google results here also.

I have attempted to contact Mesh via various routes but they refuse to enter into any discussion except on their software support phone line. This is a premium rate service that costs £1 per minute - presumably even when listening to the music whilst you await someone to become free to talk to. I haven't attempted this one yet but I might be forced into trying it.

You could try that. Uninstall all Java and run JavaRa again.
Uninstall IE7. That should give you IE6 back.
Install Java 6U7 - check it, make sure it's working
Install IE7 (if you want, I still prefer IE6).

This might sound stupid but I don't know how to uninstall IE7. When I go to "add or remove programs" IE7 is listed but, unlike for every other program, there is no change or remove button! Is this normal? Without this how can the program be removed?

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.

I have not yet found anyone with an installation disc for the correct version of windows and so this may eventually be my only option. I need to look at this in more detail before I would be brave enough to try it.

One other interesting feature of the problem. I can no longer run videos in YouTube as I just get the message "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player." however I can get youtube videos to run when they are embedded in another site such as MySpace. Does this make any sense?

#18 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi

Just to let you know that I am still here - and so is my problem with Java! I have been rather too busy at work to spend much time on this this but here is an update.

This might sound stupid but I don't know how to uninstall IE7. When I go to "add or remove programs" IE7 is listed but, unlike for every other program, there is no change or remove button! Is this normal? Without this how can the program be removed?

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarize yourself with the programmer and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.

I have not yet found anyone with an installation disc for the correct version of windows and so this may eventually be my only option. I need to look at this in more detail before I would be brave enough to try it.

One other interesting feature of the problem. I can no longer run videos in YouTube as I just get the message "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player." however I can get youtube videos to run when they are embedded in another site such as MySpace. Does this make any sense?

Hi Humble22,

Glad to see you back here, but am very angry that MESH are treating you in such a fashion. I know it does not help your cause, but we are now conversed in who not to deal with in the future. As far as waiting on the phone at that price, well that is an unreasonable request at the best of times.l We will attempt to assist you here from the more clever volunteers among us.

To uninstall IE 7.0 use this link to see if you have success. I do not have IE 7, so have little experience with it, but try that link and post back if you have no success uninstalling. By the way, no question is stupid, we are here to help and give you confidence to proceed, not to think your questions are stupid.. :)

I agree, if you cannot find a friend to borrow the exact same OS CD as you have, entering and touching the registry is not one of my favorite occupations either, but lets see if you can borrow that OS CD first.

Have you uninstalled all Java Runtime showing in your Add and Remove utility? If not please do so and download JavaRa.exe, run it by following the prompts to see what shows up after you use the options offered.

You inability to watch Youtube videos I think is part and parcel of the problem at hand, so until we prove your OS is clear of corrupt .dll files, and your Java update verified, I think that is our priority at this time.

Another thought just came to mind, please do this and report back what you find
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add and Remove and let it populate
  • Enable show updates at the top
  • In the left pane click Add and Remove Windows Components
  • Is there any reference to Internet Explorer showing enabled there?
Is it possible for you to take a screen shot of your Add and Remove utility showing IE 7 with the absence of the Remove button. Here is how.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 16 October 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#19 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

Do your environment variables still reflect the below information ? "CLASSPATH"=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\lib\ext\QTJava.zip "QTJAVA"=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\lib\ext\QTJava.zip start---right-click "my computer", then choose -properties- then click the -environment variables- button. Tallon41

#20 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Tallin

Thanks again for your willingness to help. I am really impressed that there is a community of people out there that are willing to give their time to help in this way.

I think we are operating in different time zones so this will be my last post for today - it is getting late!

To uninstall IE 7.0 use this link to see if you have success. I do not have IE 7, so have little experience with it, but try that link and post back if you have no success uninstalling. By the way, no question is stupid, we are here to help and give you confidence to proceed, not to think your questions are stupid.. :)

Have you uninstalled all Java Runtime showing in your Add and Remove utility? If not please do so and download JavaRa.exe, run it by following the prompts to see what shows up after you use the options offered.

Another thought just came to mind, please do this and report back what you find

• Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add and Remove and let it populate
  • Enable show updates at the top
  • In the left pane click Add and Remove Windows Components
  • Is there any reference to Internet Explorer showing enabled there?
Is it possible for you to take a screen shot of your Add and Remove utility showing IE 7 with the absence of the Remove button. Here is how.

To answer your points:
Before I came to this forum I had uninstalled Java but then attempted to reinstall. I will uninstall again (with aid of JavaRa).
I will check your link regarding uninstalling internet explorer 7 and report back tomorrow to let you know if this has helped.
Following your instructions regarding "add remove windows components" - there is one (ticked) reference to Internet Explorer 0.0 MB

I have attempted to attach a screenshot saved in a word file (does this method work in this forum?). I have just noticed that there are various other internet references here - am I perhaps trying to uninstall the wrong thing (and am I about to test your assertion that there is no such thing as a stupid question! )? I have two icons on my desktop which lead to the internet. The first is titled internet explorer and opens up what is clearly IE7 titled Tiscali Internt access. I do not normally use this. My broadband access is through BT and they provide their own customised browser although I believe this is still based on IE7. Clicking on Help: About browser gives following info:

BT Yahoo Browser
Product version 5.04.04.809
Fil version 2006.10.18.11
BT Yahoo! Broadband version 2.01
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Attached File  screenshot.doc   119.5KB   26 downloads

Regards

#21 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Do your environment variables still reflect the below information ?

"CLASSPATH"=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
"QTJAVA"=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

start---right-click "my computer", then choose -properties-
then click the -environment variables- button.

Tallon41

The quick and simple answer is "yes"

Edited by humble22, 16 October 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#22 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Hi Humble22,

I think I now know why your Java will not work, you are not using Internet Explorer Browser IE 7 and the Java installations are for it. You are using

BT Yahoo Browser

Now I am not familiar with a BT Yahoo Browser at all but this link may help you if you would like to troll through it.

Humble wrote:I have two icons on my desktop which lead to the internet. The first is titled internet explorer and opens up what is clearly IE7 titled Tiscali Internt access. I do not normally use this. My broadband access is through BT and they provide their own customised browser although I believe this is still based on IE7.

Do you have two ISP accounts? Tiscali and BT? Now that would be unusual to say the least, but if you do, click on the Tiscali IE and see if you are using IE 7 browser? and of course connected to the internet.

Viewing your screenshot attachment, and yes, it did work for me but very distant, click on "Click here for Support Information" and see what it says.

Post back with further information so we can get to the bottom of this nagging problem of yours.

kind regards,

#23 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

tallin

1. I may have two browsers installed but I certainly have only one ISP - BT broadband. I think references to Tiscali were on the computer when I bought it. There are two programs listed in add or remove programs which have not been used since I bought, namely Tiscali 10.0 and Tiscali Internet Access. I presume Mesh were sponsored (paid) by Tiscali to have these on the pc in the hope that the new owner would sign up with them. When you open up ie7 directly the top bar is actually titled Tiscali Internet Access. Note that even when I use this browser I still do not get applications requiring Java to run. The browser essentially looks like ie7 except that it has an added BT-Yahoo toolbar which I presume has been installed when I installed the BT broadband software.

I normally access the internet via the BT Yahoo! browser. I am pretty sure that this is essentially IE7 in disguise. If you click on help/about browser it reveals itself to be Internet explorer 7.9.5730.11.

2. With regards to your link to various related topics picked up via a search with google the most relevant thread is at following link:

http://www.pchelpfor...oo-browser.html

Unfortunately the poster seems to have given up before a solution was found.

3. With regards to "click here for support information" under the IE7 in add or remove programs, the resultant screen just gives link to the microsoft IE7 site (www.microsoft.com/ie)

Based upon previous messages my intention would now be to do the following:
Uninstall java (with aid of JavaRa.exe)
Uninstall "Tiscoli 10.0" and "Tiscoli internet access" (since neither have been used in 4 years) and see if this then allows me the option to uninstall IE7

I will however await your thoughts on this.

Regards

#24 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

tallin
Based upon previous messages my intention would now be to do the following:
Uninstall java (with aid of JavaRa.exe)
Uninstall "Tiscoli 10.0" and "Tiscoli internet access" (since neither have been used in 4 years) and see if this then allows me the option to uninstall IE7

I will however await your thoughts on this.

Regards

Hi humble22,

So we press on with new ideas how to get this irritating problem of yours corrected.

I would do what you are enquiring about in your quote above, after all it will not hurt your system.

Here is a link that you could again troll through to see if any of it helps you.

There is a new version of Java Runtime envirionment and Adobe FlashPlayer Post #2 released since we started to try and correct this problem you are having. You need them both to access important sites to keep your computer up to date.

Have you checked your Windows Updates this week? as it was patch Tuesday. However see if you can uninstall BT Yahoo Browser first, then reboot, then check you Windows Updates.

Do keep us posted and maybe one of the other volunteers can chip in to assist you ......I am slowly running out of ideas.

If you could possibly do the SFC Scan I am sure it would/could solve the problem. Try harder to borrow your OS CD as I really think that could be the answer. :thumbup:

best regards,

Edited by tallin, 17 October 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#25 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

Hi.

I experienced somrthing similar recently on 2 machines. xp pro and 98se. Java is installed correctly as pogo games showed a marked improvement after installing java on both machines. However, the java test on sun's test page fails on both machines. This is the same test page link to by others in this thread.

Interestingly enough, I happened upon a thread in this forum with a link to another java test page. On this page, java is confirmed as correctly installed. This is on the win98se machine, I'll have to check the xp if I ever get back to it. At the bottom of the test is reference to a problem with Zone Alarm. Perhaps a similar problem with Trend Micro's firewall?

The test page can be found here
http://javatester.org/version.html

good luck

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:10 AM

...............and so the story continues. Since my last post, and based upon the advice given, I have: Uninstalled Java Uninstalled "Tiscoli 10.0" Uninstalled "Tiscoli internet access" Updated Adobe flash player Reinstalled even newer version of Java (1.6.0_10) and................... :thumbup: everything in the world is good! All of the problems I have discussed above now appear to be solved!!! The only remaining problem is that my back is now hurting from having sat over my keyboard for so long in the last few days - but I think I need a more hands on approach to help cure that one! I really would like to thank everyone, most especially tallin, for their help. I hope that you get some satisfaction from a job well done. Best regards

Edited by humble22, 18 October 2008 - 04:20 PM.

#27 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

:thumbup: humble 22, When I got up this morning, read your post with the staggered end to it :wavey: I was really chuffed at the result after all we volunteers collective hard work.....great news that is all I can say. Come and see us again some time when you have 'a not so annoying problem to solve'. :popcorn: Seriously though we enjoyed helping you as after all that is why we all frequent this spot. best regards,

Edited by tallin, 18 October 2008 - 02:54 PM.

#28 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

tallin I certainly hope not to need your help again in the near future, but the site is now bookmarked so I will drop by occasionally to see what's new. Best regards

#29 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

:thumbup: Excellent, and safe surfing in the future to you. Best regards,

#30 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

Great to hear it's fixed :thumbup: Let me add a Post Mortem note as I ran into this a few days ago. When IE7 does not have a Change/Remove button in Add/Remove programs, it is almost always due to having installed IE7 before installing SP3. When you do that you lose the ability to uninstall IE7 and revert to IE6. I don't know why this is the case but it was true for me and has been reported here and elsewhere as well. Perhaps uninstalling SP3 would then allow you to uninstall IE7. I don't know as I haven't tried it (yet).

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown