Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cannot find server error

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

Did you try

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

as I suggested a few posts back?

Also, give The Network Diagnostic Tool a try.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Loramir

Loramir

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I've tried flushing and registering DNS. I've just tried Vista's diagnostic tool, which appears to be similar - when you get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the website" error, it says "What you can try: Diagnose connection problems." I tried it after attempting to visit laurenwillig.com. When I got the error, I clicked on the diagnostic tool link on the error page. It says: "Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server(85.255.116.69). Network Diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response." Then it offers me the option to "Reset network adapter 'Wireless Network Connection'", and says "Resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem." I did this, and it says "There still seems to be a problem with your connection." and continues running. After trying to find other problems, it just offers me the same solution - to reset my network adapter. If I do it again, it comes back to the same option. So it does find a problem, it just has no working solution.

#18 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Loramir,

I am sorry you are still in strife with your IE 7.0.

Try this link to see if it helps you. TroubleShooting Network Adapter Problems

There is definitely nothing wrong with Laurin Willig site as I am accessing it now.

We will not give up, so keep us posted.

kind regards,

#19 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server(85.255.116.69)

I think this may be the root of your problem. How about giving the OpenDNS servers a try, see if it makes a difference. I've been using them for over a year with excellent results.

Read here: http://www.opendns.com/

Rich

#20 Loramir

Loramir

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

I am sorry you are still in strife with your IE 7.0.

I wish it was just IE - because I don't even use IE unless I have to :) It seems to be my whole computer - Firefox and IE.

Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server(85.255.116.69)

I think this may be the root of your problem. How about giving the OpenDNS servers a try, see if it makes a difference. I've been using them for over a year with excellent results.

Read here: http://www.opendns.com/

I am looking into this - it may be a good idea anyway. We use RoadRunner Turbo, which is the only cable available in our area, and our Internet service is very erratic and unreliable. We have been very unhappy with the speed - we pay extra for the "turbo" speed, but speed tests show we frequently have 2 Mbps or less download speeds. I'm sure OpenDNS can't fix everything, but perhaps it would be an improvement at any rate. I think I'm going to install it for my router, so all our computers can benefit.

#21 Loramir

Loramir

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Well...the OpenDNS setup is proving more complicated than expected, due to having a dynamic IP address. I'm reasonably computer literate, but completely lost as far as most connectivity-related stuff goes.

When I go to my router (Linksys WRV54G)'s admin panel, the connection type is set on "Automatic configuration - DHCP." Under this setting, there is no option to change the DNS server. The other options are "Static IP," "PPPoE," and "PPTP," which do offer the option to change DNS, but which I have no idea how to configure otherwise. From what I can gather, I think you have to have it set on DHCP with RoadRunner, so I have no way to change the DNS through the router...that I can figure out, at least.

If I choose to configure it for each individual computer instead, do I still need to worry about my IP address?

#22 Loramir

Loramir

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:02 PM

I think I've got OpenDNS working on my computer now :) And...my problem has disappeared! Those sites that wouldn't load now show up just fine, so I'm assuming the issue had something to do with my DNS all along. I'm seeing noticeable speed improvement, as well, so I'm planning to set up OpenDNS on all my family's computers.

#23 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Loramir, excellent work. Persistence pays off :thumbup: Like I mentioned, I've been using OpenDNS for over a year and find them very reliable. You might want to E-mail Road Runner and let them know their DNS servers were causing your problem. Might help out other folks if they can fix it.

Rich

#24 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

I think I've got OpenDNS working on my computer now :) And...my problem has disappeared! Those sites that wouldn't load now show up just fine, so I'm assuming the issue had something to do with my DNS all along. I'm seeing noticeable speed improvement, as well, so I'm planning to set up OpenDNS on all my family's computers.

Great news, Loramir. Ztruker :notworthy: is very knowledged so we are lucky to have him here.

Really pleased your problem/glitch has been corrected.

kind regards, :wavey:

#25 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:15 AM

You might want to E-mail Road Runner and let them know their DNS servers were causing your problem.

I agree because in reality, using OpenDNS for this purpose is really a band-aid fix - however, it "should" be an valid indicator to the RR IT folks that indeed, the DNS service they are using has some issues.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Advertisements

Register to Remove