This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Graphic card problems? Not sure.

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Sometimes, usually when watching videos, something happens. Hard to explain but all kinds of green and weird lines and disturbance on the screen then few seconds later the PC freezes and I have to reboot. I'm using a Geforce 9600GT 512mb overlocked by BFG. 175.16 Forceware drivers. My best guess is that the graphic card is causing this, but I'm really clueless. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sometimes, usually when watching videos, something happens. Hard to explain but all kinds of green and weird lines and disturbance on the screen then few seconds later the PC freezes and I have to reboot.

I'm using a Geforce 9600GT 512mb overlocked by BFG. 175.16 Forceware drivers.

My best guess is that the graphic card is causing this, but I'm really clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help.


Hi Ligisttomten,

How long is it since you cleared the dust bunnies out of the tower.


You also may like to:

  • Right Click on My Computer
  • Properties
  • Hardware
  • Device Manager
  • look if there are any yellow warning there
If there are post back and we can help you further.

Send us the specifications of your computer also so we know what we are dealing with.

Please post back with information…..we are happy to help.

kind regards,
Thanks for the quick reply. I recently cleaned out any dust inside the PC, doesn't seem to have helped. There are also no warnings in the device manager. What specifications exactly from SIW? It lists a ton!
Hello again,

Below are one of my Systems Specification. Can you muster together from SIW.exe similar and send them. It is wise when posting on forums to send them (System specs) in your first post so we can help you more quickly.

Windows XP SP/3,
Pentium 4Intel P4, 3.0GHZ PRESCOTT ASUS P4S800-MX MOTHERBOARD,
RAM 2048GB
WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
SONY, 3.5 FLOPPY DRIVE
80GB, HARD DRIVE
160GB SEAGATE INTERNAL REMOVABLE E:\DRIVE
NORTONS GHOST 12
LITEON DVD+/-R/RW,
16XBURNERDUAL LAYER,
D-LINK DSL 200 MODEM


Good about your maintenance with the dust bunnies.

I wonder if your Graphics card is seated correctly? did you enable it or was it there when you purchased the computer?

System RAM capacity would be my next question.

Keep us posted.

kind regards,
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit service pack 1 Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz ASUS P5N-T DELUXE motherboard RAM 4x Corsair 1024mb Samsung 250GB 7200 rpm Seagate 1000GB 7200rpm Western Digital 640GB 7200rpm TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D ATA Device I recently took out the graphic card to put in a new harddrive, and I made sure it was seated correctly afterwards. (The problem was there long before this happend, and after.) I'm considering just buying a new graphic card but what if that's not the problem. :|
Hello again, I was thinking your RAM maybe the problem, but your system is a fine one, although the RAM is only just adequate for todays requirements. Your SIW.exe will tell you if you have spare RAM slots along with the correct type running. As memory is 'cheapish' at the moment would it be possible for you to increase the memory if there are spare slots? Re the graphics card, I understand what you are meaning, and you don't want to be spending good money on a new one if it is not the problem. Re seat the graphics card just to prove it is seated correctly also would be something I would do. How old is the computer? Has it a warranty if it is newish? Keep us posted. kind regards,
4x 1024 RAM for total of 4GB, should've made it clear. I built the PC myself so there's no particular warranty. That was about 4-5 months ago.

4x 1024 RAM for total of 4GB, should've made it clear. I built the PC myself so there's no particular warranty.
That was about 4-5 months ago.

Ligisttomten,

That is certainly clear about your systems RAM capacity 4GB.

One of the other more knowledgeable volunteers will come by with perhaps an answer for you. It is up to you whether you buy a new graphics card or not, I do not like to advise you to do it until others have offered their opinion.

kind regards,
hello Ligisttomten

i'm xixo_12, i'm here to try help u
did u try any newest driver?
please wait first before you thinking to RMA or doing anything to your card.
make sure it inserted properly and do download this 178.13 WHQL
some more can u give the brand and amount of Watt u use for your system
I use Corsair 750W TX ATX. I'm a bit reluctant to change the drivers, last time I did I got some problems. But I guess I'll give it a try.

I use Corsair 750W TX ATX. I'm a bit reluctant to change the drivers, last time I did I got some problems. But I guess I'll give it a try.

hello Ligisttomten,
nice to hear u come back here.
try first to update your driver,
any problem u can refer here and i try my best to follow your thread.
Just tried 178.13. Got a black screen everytime windows started and had to reboot in safe mode to uninstall those drivers. Going back to 175.16 now. :/

Just tried 178.13. Got a black screen everytime windows started and had to reboot in safe mode to uninstall those drivers. Going back to 175.16 now. :/


hello again
i just want to reconfirm about the driver that u just downloaded,
is it this link? for winVista 64
because i just realize under your profile that u using winvista64

Just tried 178.13. Got a black screen everytime windows started and had to reboot in safe mode to uninstall those drivers. Going back to 175.16 now. :/


Ignore that! Apparently new drivers made my TV the new display, took me a while to realize that. Fixed that and it works now, only time will tell if the drivers fix the problem though as it's completely random when it will freak out during videos.

Just tried 178.13. Got a black screen everytime windows started and had to reboot in safe mode to uninstall those drivers. Going back to 175.16 now. :/


Ignore that! Apparently new drivers made my TV the new display, took me a while to realize that. Fixed that and it works now, only time will tell if the drivers fix the problem though as it's completely random when it will freak out during videos.

hello again,
from what i understand, it solved using new driver right?
i'm glad to hear that, hope u enjoy it

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI