This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Stops Working After Few Hours Win XP Pro

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,
I am hoping you guys can help me because I am at a loss. Ok so heres the issue. About 2 weeks ago I moved into my dorm at college and I am having trouble with my internet. Basically what happens is that the Internet will work fine for varying amount of time. Usually I can keep it going for about 2 hours and then it just completely stops. No packet transfer, literally out of the blue. I will either be surfing the internet or on AIM and it will just shut off. In order to get it working again I have to shut down my computer and completely cut the power to my motherboard. If I just shut down my computer it will not work. Now I do run internet sharing to my XBOX so I can run XBOX live. The way my internet is set up is that I have to enter my username and password in order to gain access to the internet. So in order to get my XBOX live to work I have to use a USB internet adapter and share my internet through there.

I have a feeling that this is a hardware problem since I have to cut the power to my whole computer in order to get it to working, but before I go buy anything I want to make sure. Since I am at a University I am not sure of the internet hardware they use here but I know that they use Comcast as the ISP.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:59:16 PM, on 9/18/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Sling Media\SlingAgent\SlingAgentService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Safari\Safari.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.daemonsearch.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pkLDEEs20U
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Toolbar Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: BitComet - {D18A0B52-D63C-4ed0-AFC6-C1E3DC1AF43A} - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.2.28.dll/206 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WI1F86~1\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WI1F86~1\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WBSrv - C:\PROGRA~1\Stardock\OBJECT~1\WINDOW~1\wbsrv.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SlingAgent Service (SlingAgentService) - Sling Media Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sling Media\SlingAgent\SlingAgentService.exe

Heres my hijack this log. I have never had a problem before I moved here so I am not sure. I know it made me install Synmatec anti-virus and Cisco Security Services. I unistalled the Cisco to the best of my knowledge because it was basically useless and causing problems with my computer. Any help I can get will be apreciated.

Well my first suggestion would be to disconnect you Xbox from your computer and see what happens.

Did that. Does not help.

EDIT: I should state that it says it is connected even after it stops working. If I restart or just shut down without cutting power, the internet status says its connected but the Activity is 0 sent packs and 0 received packets. Again thanks for the help.
One thing I did notice in your hjt log was this line:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.daemonsearch.com/

and that threw up a red flag for me. I will say I have no knowledge what so ever about hjt logs but when I went to try and go to that website I couldn't so you may be infected with something I would suggest making another topic in the hjt part of the forums and see what help you can get there, but also keep an eye on this thread just in case you get any help here.

One thing I did notice in your hjt log was this line:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.daemonsearch.com/

and that threw up a red flag for me. I will say I have no knowledge what so ever about hjt logs but when I went to try and go to that website I couldn't so you may be infected with something I would suggest making another topic in the hjt part of the forums and see what help you can get there, but also keep an eye on this thread just in case you get any help here.

I think that is from the application Daemon Tools, which is used to run ISO's.

About 2 weeks ago I moved into my dorm at college and I am having trouble with my internet.

Agreed, that he does not need to post in malware.

This is what I see.

O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O9 - Extra button: BitComet - {D18A0B52-D63C-4ed0-AFC6-C1E3DC1AF43A} - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.2.28.dll/206 (file missing)


You may be reaching the "half-open connection limit" using BitComet. Windows allows 10.

to check if that is the case:
Go to Start > My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System

Click the Event column so it’s sorted ID number, and look for 4226.

Additionally, if you previously increased that limit and have installed SP3, you should know that SP3 will re-set that connection limit back to 10.

Tallon41

About 2 weeks ago I moved into my dorm at college and I am having trouble with my internet.

Agreed, that he does not need to post in malware.

This is what I see.

O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O9 - Extra button: BitComet - {D18A0B52-D63C-4ed0-AFC6-C1E3DC1AF43A} - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.2.28.dll/206 (file missing)


You may be reaching the "half-open connection limit" using BitComet. Windows allows 10.

to check if that is the case:
Go to Start > My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System

Click the Event column so it’s sorted ID number, and look for 4226.

Additionally, if you previously increased that limit and have installed SP3, you should know that SP3 will re-set that connection limit back to 10.

Tallon41

I don't have SP3 and there are no 4226 in the event viewer. Its weird because it just stops at random times. Think it might have to do with Synmatec anti-virus? Thats the only thing I can think of thats different.
You cannot offer malware advice unless you are staff here

Please refrain from doing it

emohater, if you followed any advice then I suggest you restore those HJT entries from backups


To restore the backups:
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on "View the list of Backups"
  • Place a check mark next to everything in that window
  • Click Restore
  • Click Yes
  • Reboot your computer

You cannot offer malware advice unless you are staff here

Please refrain from doing it

clearly you did not read the posts

emohater, if you followed any advice then I suggest you restore those HJT entries from backups

more evidence of same

To restore the backups:

  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on "View the list of Backups"
  • Place a check mark next to everything in that window
  • Click Restore
  • Click Yes
  • Reboot your computer

I trust you realize that since no one here told him to delete anything, that you just gave him instructions on how to put BACK whatever previously deletions have been made……not a wise choice.

If you want to prevent someone from shooting themselves in the foot, it's best not to put a gun in their hand….until you KNOW they need the gun.

Tallon41

About 2 weeks ago I moved into my dorm at college and I am having trouble with my internet.

Agreed, that he does not need to post in malware.

This is what I see.

O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O9 - Extra button: BitComet - {D18A0B52-D63C-4ed0-AFC6-C1E3DC1AF43A} - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.2.28.dll/206 (file missing)


You may be reaching the "half-open connection limit" using BitComet. Windows allows 10.

to check if that is the case:
Go to Start > My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System

Click the Event column so it’s sorted ID number, and look for 4226.

Additionally, if you previously increased that limit and have installed SP3, you should know that SP3 will re-set that connection limit back to 10.

Tallon41

I actually did find a 4226 today. So how do I fix that?

I actually did find a 4226 today. So how do I fix that?


I want to make it VERY clear, that this is BY DESIGN and therefore not "broken" per se. By the same token, I will not post how to circumvent this.

This was done in order to limit the spread, (well the speed of it, ) of some kinds of viruses. One of the primary affected systems are those who use peer-to-peer file sharing "torrents", which I also do NOT recommend.

Any time you wish to see the connections, open a cmd window and type:

netstat -no (then press [enter] )

Half-open connections will have anything other than "established" as a 'status' .

If you google event 4226 patch, I am sure you will find many hits that will instruct you in this.

Tallon41

I actually did find a 4226 today. So how do I fix that?


I want to make it VERY clear, that this is BY DESIGN and therefore not "broken" per se. By the same token, I will not post how to circumvent this.

This was done in order to limit the spread, (well the speed of it, ) of some kinds of viruses. One of the primary affected systems are those who use peer-to-peer file sharing "torrents", which I also do NOT recommend.

Any time you wish to see the connections, open a cmd window and type:

netstat -no (then press [enter] )

Half-open connections will have anything other than "established" as a 'status' .

If you google event 4226 patch, I am sure you will find many hits that will instruct you in this.

Tallon41

This did not help. My problem still exists… I'll be on the internet and all the sudden everything will stop loading and no packet transfer occurs. My connection says its connected and if I look into my computer the green light on the ethernet port is on, but its not blinking like it does when it is connected.
So you are using ICS for your Xbox, right. Try disabling ICS and see if that fixes the problem. See here: http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/network/ics-disable.html#winxp

Following from the above link:

Why disable Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Sharing?

Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Sharing are features in their respective operating systems that allows the computer to act as a network router and DHCP server if it has two or more types of networking devices. These devices could be Ethernet cards, modems, or Firewire (IEEE 1394) ports. If Internet Connection Sharing is actively running while the computer is connected to any part of the University's network, that computer and other computers nearby may lose all connectivity to the network. If you have been previously connected to a home network, know that Internet Connection Sharing was used in your previous network setup, or suspect you have done something to turn Internet Connection Sharing on please go through this guide to help prevent loss of network services for you and others.

ICS is also a prime candidate for attacks by virus and spyware writers.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI