Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

VB 2005 Command

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

I'm currently learning VB (2005 edition, express) and I wanted to know how I can change a string to it's ASCII value. I don't know much about ASCII but apparently a letter/character has a numerical value in what's known as ASCII. I'm not sure if there's a command or not for converting a string to the ASCII value but if anyone knows a good way to do this, whether it's from experience or something you found, I'm open to it. And I did try googling this one but I couldn't come up with anything useful... I will continue to search though, thanks to anyone who can provide info on this.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

I'm a bit late, but the function you are looking for is Asc.

#3 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

Ya that's what I used. I figured this out a while ago but thanks for replying with more info on it.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

I'm currently learning VB (2005 edition, express) and I wanted to know how I can change a string to it's ASCII value. I don't know much about ASCII but apparently a letter/character has a numerical value in what's known as ASCII. I'm not sure if there's a command or not for converting a string to the ASCII value but if anyone knows a good way to do this, whether it's from experience or something you found, I'm open to it. And I did try googling this one but I couldn't come up with anything useful... I will continue to search though, thanks to anyone who can provide info on this.

Although ASC is a valid command... You can't technically convert a "string" to its ASCII value. You can convert a single character to its ASCII value. But a string does not have an ASCII value. Only single characters have an equivalent ASCII value. What you do with the value of each character in the string is up to you.

If you want to convert a string that consists of a numeric value, (such as "12345") to an integer you can work with, you can use the .tointeger method and receive an integer = 12345. Now you can manipulate the integer mathematically.

This thread is old, but I figured I would post some extra information anyways. :)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.