This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] My laptop has started crashing

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My laptop has started crashing and I was wondering if I'm infected, here is the HiJack log. This is coming from a different pc as I can't get into my lap top. Please respond, even if its nothing wrong.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:04:41 PM, on 8/9/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bmwebcfg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Grxp4exe.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 7300 Series\lxcimon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 7300 Series\ezprint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICO.EXE
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Sierra Wireless Inc\Network Adapter Manager\Network Adapter Manager.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcicoms.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office97\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\SmartUI\SmartUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office2000\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\mantispm.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul…//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 148.71.166.233:9877
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gravis Xperience Driver Support] Grxp4exe.exe /init
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cingular Communication Manager] C:\Program Files\Cingular\Communication Manager\CingularCCM.exe -a
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCICATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCItime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxcimon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 7300 Series\lxcimon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EzPrint] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 7300 Series\ezprint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PMX Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AirCardEnabler] "C:\Program Files\Sierra Wireless Inc\Network Adapter Manager\Network Adapter Manager.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvd43] C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue RegistryBooster 2] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe /S
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office97\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office2000\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office97\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SmartUI.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office2000\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'bmnet.dll' missing
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ameritrade.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.investors.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.tdameritrade.com
O16 - DPF: {1B9935E4-8A50-4DD8-BD09-A7518723BF97} (Talisma NetAgent Customer ActiveX Control version 3) - https://liverep.esignal.com/netagent/objects/custappx3.cab
O16 - DPF: {216FEA47-4290-49BE-8783-5A7D9C58B532} - http://www.blocks.com/install/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {2ED9BC2B-4DF1-472E-9B5E-55477D2C97F5} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {35B7E48B-9D81-4C6C-9578-5FD4F620D886} -
O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} (SysData Class) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqna/downloads/sysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {AECD14A8-F662-11D1-A395-00805F535788} (Plotwon Control) - http://www.investors.com/member/ocx/plotwon.ocx
O16 - DPF: {B7CF60D7-74FA-4A89-90DC-C56C9239360D} - http://files.blocks.com/SnapSheetInstall/S…eetsInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} - https://esignal.webex.com/client/T23L/support/ieatgpc.cab
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/41/install/gtdownde.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O20 - Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - %SystemRoot%\System32\dimsntfy.dll (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\G2AWinLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bytemobile Web Configurator (bmwebcfg) - Bytemobile, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\bmwebcfg.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\g2aservice.exe" Start=service (file missing)
O23 - Service: lxci_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcicoms.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
Hi terryfelter,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Let's see if we can get you back on the internet.

Download LSPfix here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

This will fit on a thumb drive / floppy drive.
After download transfer to infected pc and run it.

Start the program and then check the I know what I'm doing box.

Click the Finish Button and reboot.

Hopefully you will now be able to connect to the internet.

You aren't running Anti Virus Software

Anti-virus software are programs that detect, cleanse, and erase harmful virus files on a computer, Web server, or network.
Unchecked, virus files can unintentionally be forwarded to others, including trading partners and thereby spreading infection. Because new viruses regularly emerge, anti-virus software should be updated frequently. Anti-virus software can scan the computer memory and disk drives for malicious code. They can alert the user if a virus is present, and will clean, delete (or quarantine) infected files or directories. Please download a free anti-virus software (for personal use), from one these excellent vendors NOW:

1) Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
-Free anti-virus software for Windows.
-Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
2) avast! 4 Home Edition
-Anti-virus program for Windows.
-The home edition is freeware for noncommercial user
3) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
- Free edition of the AVG anti-virus program for Windows.
- Available for single computer use for home and non commercial use.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts.

After installing Anti-Virus program, please post a new HijackThis log. If you still can't connect to the internet, please let me know.
I'm online, but on another pc. Let me refresh the information although the hijack log remains as is. The lap top freezes and as I wrote in the first of three poot, and now it is occurring at an increasing rate. I have run diagnostics on the ram, no errors. I have tried to repair WinXP, not sure I did this right but didn't help. I have run Regcure and repaired some registrys, no change in the behavior of the pc. I did a complete scan of the file/files system etc, no errors. I tried running a diagnostics (using F12 I think), froze during the process (unplug power cord step) It has frozen during bootup, playing games, moving mouse, entering data into a spreadsheet, doing nothing just when it chooses to do so. With the increased rate it has become very troublesome and I am about through with my limited knowledge of how/what to fix or look at.
Sorry to take so long to get back to this. I was not on the net because the lap top kept freezing and I was letting it cool down, thinking temperature might be the problem. The freezes becasme so numerous I did a repair to Win XP. Although that took a bit of doing as some of the files weren't read during the installation. I'm not sure why not but a lot of dll's and exe's "could not be read from the installation disk (although I could browse for each one). Any way that finished spent the rest of the day adding dll's and exe's so I could get everything running. Could not view the MS update page, on another forum I was instructed to manually register some dll's. Did that and was able to view the updates, but they kept failing. So I downloaded SP3 and installed this evening. That is finsihed and "everything" seems to be working. The lap top hasn't frozen all day and it has been working hard. Perhaps the software was corrupt after all and now that is fixed.
Thanks for repsonding, I believe I am good to go at preset. I'll create a restore point and re-run a hijack log tomorrow morning when all the programs I run during the day aren't running. This blog could be closed. :thumbup:
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI