Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

I am not able to download anything

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

For some reason I am not able to download anything, I tried downloading an add on to Firefox and it didnt work! Tried downloading Internet Explorer that didnt work either!!!! Is there anything that someone can do to help me!! You guys have saved me before, PLEASE HELP ME!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

Well you left out some important information. 1. What web browser(s) do you currently have? You said you tried downloading IE so I'm guessing you don't have it. It comes standard with Windows so I guess you don't have that either, in which case... 2. What operating system do you use? 3. What kind of internet connection do you have? Dialup, DSL, T1? And how do you connect to it? Wireless, modem, if dialup just a walljack? If you can answer that I can try to give you some more help. This would also help anyone else who replies to this topic so answer them as soon as you can.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

i have mozilla firefox and i tried downloading IE to see if I can download something.... I have Windows XP WIreless Internet Connections

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

EDIT..sorry Vectris...my slow typing again! Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer. Unfortunately you don't give us much to go on...... We really need to know quite a bit about the situation before we can advise..... remember we are trying to diagnose and suggest remedies from maybe a long way away.......maybe thousands of miles away, so we really do need you to provide a good back ground to the problem and full descriptive details of exactly what happens and what output you see when your machine does not do what you want it to do.....remember you are sitting in front of the machine, but the rest of us aren't!.........for example: your computer make model number, its operating system, service pack level, the error codes or symptoms that it displays, the repair steps you have undertaken so far, when the problem arose, what you were doing immediately before the problem started , Any updates or new programmes or hardware you have installed recently, what version of Internet Explorer have you tried to download, what version of Firefox?...... If you have tried a recent System Restore Point or run chkdsk or System File Checker..............I'm sure you get the drift. If you can provide much more information we will do our best to help Regards paws

Edited by paws, 10 August 2008 - 01:33 PM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

hp dv8000 windows xp....nothing shows up, just when i click on downloading something it never works it just does nothing.....I dont know what to do to fix so I havent taken any steps to fix it.....I dont have IE I used to have it but i deleted it and starting using Firefox 3.0.1....I didnt try a restore point or any of those things Sorry not so helpful but it just came upon me one day didnt do anything unusual

#6 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Paws is right. We need as much information as possible. Don't give up though, this will help us some. Right click on "My Computer" and make sure your on the "General" tab. Now basically just give us all the information you see in that window starting at "System:".

Also, since you have Windows XP you should have IE already installed. Do you know why you don't already have Internet Explorer? Did you uninstall it? Also did you ever have it at one time, before this incident? Also were you ever able to download things with IE or FF before this? And one more question =P, How long have you had your computer/been using it, and have you always had this problem?

Please answer all my questions as best you can, they are fairly important, also include any more information (like paws said).

EDIT: Alright you just posted before I did >.>, well you answered a few of them but just go ahead and answer them all again, just list them like 123 if you can.

EDIT2: Also are you on the computer with the problem right now? Using FF I presume? If so, right click on this link and choose open in new tab.

http://rapidshare.co...317/hjsplit.zip

Click on Free User, its on the left below the speedometer thingy. Then wait for it to count down (should start around 40) and when it's done click the link for the download and try to save it to your desktop. Tell me exactly what happens.

Edited by Vectris, 10 August 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#7 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 2 I used to have IE but i uninstalled because I wanted to use Mozilla for some reason but now I want IE back..... I downloaded that thing and now I have this program called HJSplit 2.3 its open and now what?

#8 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

Alright, for My Computer I meant tell me what's below "Computer:" also, if you could do that it would help. And most importantly.... YOU JUST DOWNLOADED SOMETHING!!!! So I'm not sure if your telling us your exact problem or not, if you realize you just downloaded hjsplit.exe from the internet, that is a d o w n l o a d. Please explain what you mean by "I can't download things". Also you can delete that file, I was only using it in this instance for a test to see if you really couldn't download things, however it appears you can... EDIT: If this was a miracle to you, and you haven't actually been able to get anything else to download, then please give me some examples on where and what you were trying to download, links would help. Also if your whole problem was more like "I can't download IE 7" then I'll be miffed, because that's completely different from "I can't download things". Oh and I found a download for IE 7, after your next post I'll give you the link and tell me what happens when you try to download it.

Edited by Vectris, 10 August 2008 - 02:04 PM.

#9 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Well for one thing i wanted to install an add on for firerox and it wasnt downloading and for IE im not able to install it either

#10 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

I cant install any yahoo widgets either

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

Ok, so you mean your problem is you can not download add-ons for FireFox? Is that all? Also you say it wasn't downloading for IE, well thats because add-ons are for FireFox only, so you shouldn't be able to get them on IE anyways. And how could you try to download them with IE if you don't have IE yet? I think you missed a word or something, or am I misinterpreting you? Also just abbreviate know for faster typing. FF - FireFox IE - Internet Explorer DL - Download EDIT: I see your yahoo widgets now, and I think I know the problem, reply to this post first though and answer my questsion, also tell me what other problems your having with downloads. One more thing, have you been able to download either the FF add-on or the Yahoo Widget? It's just it won't install? Or can you not even download them to begin with? I think you mean you can download them, but they don't install right once you get them.

Edited by Vectris, 10 August 2008 - 02:08 PM.

#12 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

I tried downloading IE too not just the add ons for it

#13 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

Could you give me the URL (a link) to where you tried to get IE from? Also the URL for yahoo widget?

#14 myown4nw

myown4nw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

yeah when i download those things it takes forever and once it goes through it doesnt change anything......and for IE i wasnt able to even get to download it the link to download it didnt work

#15 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

Alright, well I think you misunderstand your own problem. 1st your IE thing.

Most likely the link you got for IE was a bad one, in other words the file was removed or was no longer there and/or it wasn't really IE to begin with. Here is where you can get IE 7, if you still want it, I highly suggest sticking with FF.

http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie7/

As for your add-on problems. FireFox 3 is very new (just came out) and so there are very few add-ons that work for it. In fact none of my add-ons have been updated to work for FF 3 yet, you'll just have to wait for the original makers to update them.

Can you tell me which FF add-ons you were trying to get? Just skins? or anything more?

Edited by Vectris, 10 August 2008 - 02:16 PM.