Very Slow Computer
4 min read
Understand, it does take a long time for a system to boot, setup the firewall and all the security tools, and all the programs the user has set to load at start - my XPP computer takes about 4 1/2 minutes to boot up completely. I keep my systems running 24/7 so I don't worry much about boot times.
Also note that cleaning programs are frequently unable to delete some files and folders while Windows and other applications are running so they are marked for deletion during the next boot. This can easily add to boot times.
That said, "excessive" boot times are usually caused by bad drivers, or lots of extra stuff (often malware) loading at boot.
Since you reinstalled, did you download and install all the current drivers from Dell's website?
Have you scanned for malware?
The below are all enhanced Task Manager type programs that will show you what is running on your computer. Each is nice in its own way. What's Running is probably the easiest, with AutoRuns for the more experienced, and Process Explorer the most popular. With these, for example, you can see what processes are using each of those various svchost.exe images.
AutoRuns for Windows
Process Explorer
What's Running
Suggesting a format/reinstall at the beginning of the troubleshooting process is the classic indicator of a "wannabe" expert, or a lazy bum not willing to help you work through resolving the problem. You never learn anything from formatting, even if it ultimately fixes the problem. So if nothing is learned, how can you prevent the problem from recurring? You can't.You see, I rang up Dell themselves and they said that I had to reinstall my Laptop, which is weird in a way because I thought that they might try to help fix the problem first.
Okay, that's is good. Often, folks just use the default generic drivers included in Windows. Still, there are usually newer drivers on the maker's website than those found on the CD that came with the PC.I don't exactly know what you mean by bad drivers, I didn't go onto the Dell website, I simply reinstalled my driver by using the Dell Resource CD.
Suggesting a format/reinstall at the beginning of the troubleshooting process is the classic indicator of a "wannabe" expert, or a lazy bum not willing to help you work through resolving the problem.You see, I rang up Dell themselves and they said that I had to reinstall my Laptop, which is weird in a way because I thought that they might try to help fix the problem first.
Okay, that's is good. Often, folks just use the default generic drivers included in Windows. Still, there are usually newer drivers on the maker's website than those found on the CD that came with the PC.I don't exactly know what you mean by bad drivers, I didn't go onto the Dell website, I simply reinstalled my driver by using the Dell Resource CD.
Haha! That's true.
So, do I have to go to the Dell website and download updates to the drivers? Or is there an easier way to do that?
Right now on my laptop I am doing a Disk Check, and in the disk check there is problems going on and it says "Windows replaced bad clusters in file" and then a number.
What exactly does this mean? Could this be the reason why the start-up is so slow?
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI