Hi everyone!
After searching online to find an appropriate tech forum Web site, I am so happy to have found "What the Tech." This seems awesmoe! I just got what seems to be a pretty malicious virus on my Dell laptop yesterday, and would love help on getting it removed.
I am not very computer-saavy… I don't know how to post the logs which highlight coding of the potential problem. So I'll just share what I think happened on my computer and what's going on with it now.
I know exactly where I got the virus, but am embarrassed to share the site, and I don't know if I'm allowed to say it on here, which should give insight into where I was anyway. I am never listening to frat boys' advice on "hysterical" videos again.
Now, my desktop was replaced with a red background that says, "your privacy is compromised," or something to that effect, and a variety of spyware and malware removal programs continually pop up on my computer. The most prominent one is "Vista Antivirus 2008," but others, like "Privacy Protector," pop up almost every 15 seconds. I can't even utilize Internet effectively (am on a different computer now). I also noticed that I can't access my Control Panel, and it said the administrator (which I thought was me?) disabled that functionality.
There are also five documents that continually appear on my computer - they look like Internet Explorer files. I've tried deleting them, then emptying the recycling bin, but they keep coming back, so I'm assuming they're already pretty ingrained in the coding.
Again, I really don't know much about computers, so specific Layman's terms are much appreciate. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Hi Ken545! Thanks so much for the prompt response! I'm going away on a trip tonite, but will try this as soon as I return Monday. I will let you know what happens. Enjoy your weekend, and thanks again!
I am away my self with limited internet access until Monday night but I will check in here when I can. It looks like the malware has altered you hosts files. Do a few things, you need to be able to access another known good Computer and download these programs, copy them to a CD or a Flash drive, then you can transfer them to this computer and run them.
1.
This will reset your HOSTS FILE back to Microsofts default settings. After you run it you should be able to get to the links I posted
Hope you're doing something fun this weekend, Ken!
I transferred all those programs to a CD, but I when I inserted into my laptop, nothing happened. (It worked and ran, but then the usual "open disc" box didn't appear). I then checked "My Computer" and realized I can't access anything I normally can on my computer - the only items present were My Documents. I don' t know how I can open up the disc, or if I'll even be able to.
Thank you!
Can you try downloading HJT from the link in my signature on the bottom of this post? Can you download HostsXpert or Malwarebytes from the infected computer?
Hi,
Are you making any progress ? I am attaching HostsXpert also, this is what I would do. Unzip HostsXpert to your desktop and run in via my previous instructions, this should prevent you from being redirected by bringing your hosts file back to the Microsoft default. Then if your not redirected, download and run Malwarebytes, then unzip and run Hijackthis. Post the log from Mawarebytes and then the Hijackthis log.
Ken
Hello! Hope you enjoyed your weekend away!
I am not making any progress. Something about this virus refuses to let me go to tech sites or other antivirus sites outside of the ones that keep popping up, or that it keeps redirecting me to. While I can search Google and other random sites, I can't get to any "tech-y" ones.
I've been e-mailing myself the links you've been sending, and trying to open up or download from there, but I always get redirected or a pop-up makes me stop. So I've been unable to open or download anything you've sent!
Any other ideas?
Thank you for your continued help!
Lets try this. Boot to Safemode with Network Support. This may take a few tries to get the timing right so don't give up. After you boot to safemode, access this site and try to download HJT and post the log.
To Enter Safemode
Go to Start> Shut off your Computer> Restart
As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
this will bring up a menu.
Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to Safemode with Network Support
Then press the Enter Key on your Keyboard
Tutorial if you need it How to boot into Safemode
If you can try running Malwarebytes. I am going to give you a few other programs to run, try downloading them in Safemode, one should work.
You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a Notepad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.
Download SmitfraudFix
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.
Once in Safe Mode, open the SmitfraudFix folder again and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.
You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".
The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart into normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply along with a new HijackThis log.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt
Download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.
Close all applications and windows.
Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt<- this one will be maximized and extra.txt<-this one will be minimized
Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt and the extra.txt to your post. in your reply
Hi Ken!
So… it seems like the steps you had me do in Safemode really helped clean my computer up! It seems like those annoying pop-ups are gone, finally. YAY! Thanks so much for all your help!
Some of my Administrative settings seem to be a bit funky still though. For example, my clock shown on the toolbar on the bottom of my computer is in military time and says "SAFETY ALERT" or something like that. I can at least get into my Control Panel now, but it looks like my clock settings are where I'd want them to be.
Below please find the text file you asked me to include, which appeared after the SmitfraudFix action. (I'm not sure this is relevant, but I had to do it twice before a text file popped up). I don't know what a HijackThis log is though, sorry. And also, I was unable to download Deckard's System Scanner to my desktop.
Thank you!
SmitFraudFix v2.337
Scan done at 23:16:56.03, Sun 08/17/2008
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.JESSICAELKER.000\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in safe mode
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SharedTaskScheduler Before SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!
SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Killing process
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» VACFix
VACFix
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri
C:\WINDOWS\nfavxwdbxpw.dll deleted.
C:\WINDOWS\fdkowvbp.dll deleted.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winsock2 Fix
S!Ri's WS2Fix: LSP not Found.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Generic Renos Fix
GenericRenosFix by S!Ri
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting infected files
C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\ Deleted
C:\Program Files\PCHealthCenter\ Deleted
C:\Program Files\VAV\ Deleted
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» IEDFix
IEDFix
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» 404Fix
404Fix
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» RK
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» DNS
Description: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DNS Server Search Order: 192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8B48C28B-C75A-4860-BDA0-D59877587AAA}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{8B48C28B-C75A-4860-BDA0-D59877587AAA}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{8B48C28B-C75A-4860-BDA0-D59877587AAA}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.1.1
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting Temp Files
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winlogon.System
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Registry Cleaning
Registry Cleaning done.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SharedTaskScheduler After SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!
SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End