Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

#antispyware Spam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jackb

Jackb

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 09:34 AM

As my first post here I'm wondering if this is the right place to post this <_<

As anyone who is a regular at #antispyware , we got hit by spammers. Badly. These are spammers that have random names and spam a link to a mindjail trojan. The link is dead currently.
Example

<mbfznbjrx> Miss Cleo has put a curse on Ethom, now Ethom is trapped in mindjail, help him out... hxxp://218.144.110.253:3030/

This appears to be a nasty spamnet, it is distributed, so the banlist is huge ATM :rolleyes:
We are about to remove the enire spamnet though and progress is very good
If you're an op in the #antispyware room, please report any spam to #wyldryde and ban the spammer by his first 3 digits of his IP address.

The channel #antispyware is secret (+s) so it won't appear in /list unless you are in it. This seems to be the only solution to keep the spammers out

If you don't want to get any PMs (spam and non-spam alike) or if the only PMs you get are spam, do the following:
In the SERVER window, type:
/mode <yournick> +d
To disable this, type
/mode <yournick> -d

Happy chatting!

P.S. Coyote`, AppleTree was down for a day and it may happen again. <_<

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:59 AM

Hi Jackb I don't want #Antispyware to be set as secret or private, that is not the way for a room to build members. I do want to curb these spammers though, start banning any IP's that join, wait a minute, part.... if they are not registered to the network or have not Identified, then the room will not autovoice them, those are the ones I want to block, if they come in for help, 99% of the time they will not part as these spammers do, if you are in more than one channel on the network, you can see these people doing the same thing in other rooms sometimes before they get to #Antispyware, preventing these from accessing #Antispyware would be prudent. /ban *!*@123.123.123.* is the best ban possible for numeric, others need to be set specific for each masked host. Personally I am fed up with the amount and frequency of the spammers since my return and wish to curb this activity completely and it may well prompt me to resort to more drastic measures.....
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#3 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:09 AM

if they are not registered to the network or have not Identified, then the room will not autovoice them, those are the ones I want to block, if they come in for help, 99% of the time they will not part as these spammers do,

as noted in the above post, no more autovoice scripts will be allowed in the room, the room is set to autovoice anyone that is regged and identified as they enter..
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#4 Zero

Zero

Not really Less Than One ;-)

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach.

Posted 27 July 2003 - 02:30 PM

Indeed. There is way too much in there. I have noticed a large amount is coming in through LG. Its very annoying especially at night when I here a mIRC pm.
Posted Image

#5 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:53 AM

Due to those durn spambots, I did have to go with _Mists_'s recommendation for making the room +s for the time being, but I did give him something to look into for the future to curb this type of attacker, we will see what he comes up with down the road.... Ban/Kickban all spammers in the meantime.....

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007